Just how corpse counter-y are mindless zombies?

Question

Since mindless zombies say they count as corpse counters does that mean any power that removes corpse counters from an area will remove them from play?

If that's correct I have trouble seeing how nicodem is a viable master. He needs the zombies but there are an awful lot of people who can simply remove all his little friends often with not even a simple duel required.

6 answers to this question

Since mindless zombies say they count as corpse counters does that mean any power that removes corpse counters from an area will remove them from play?

If that's correct I have trouble seeing how nicodem is a viable master. He needs the zombies but there are an awful lot of people who can simply remove all his little friends often with not even a simple duel required.

Simple answer is yes, they can be removed by abilities that remove corpse counters. Its certainly a challenge for a Nico crew.

You have to remember that its still takes an action to get rid of those corpse counters, And a lot of times other things are getting into models ways.

Nicodem does do well with Zombies but he also buffs his minions really well. Having LJ wipe out all your MZ might wastes 1 of her actions but then may open up charge lanes for a bunch of your punk zombies.

I haven't actually faced LadyJ as Nico before, but looking at the model stats gives me some hope. Her Last Rites ability is a 6" pulse, which gives her a 11" threat range to the MZ's or corpse counters. Nico, on the other hand, has Arise as a 10" pulse, which can turn a corpse counter a fair clip away into a MZ a really long way from LadyJ (like 6" beyond Nico from her.) Reanimator can grab a MZ 6" behind Nico and summon a Punk 6" in front of him. If I face her my goal will be to put the MZ's behind Nico, close enough to use Zombie Fodder but far enough away so that LadyJ needs to be within Rigor Mortis range to get at them.

It's been so ever since Book 1 and it always was no more than a nuisance for Nicodem.

Sure, some masters and minions can remove the counters. Von Shill is actually the most accessible model with that ability and since he is very good and popular, it means Nicodem has to face it more often than ever before.

But Nicodem doesn't rely on Mindless Zombies to survive. They are just very good help. If you face someone who can destroy them, you have the Vultures to teleport the counters to Nico (you can't destroy them if he picks them up) and all the tools from killing the dangerous master/minion to paralyzing them to ensure they don't get in range.

Most importantly, the abilities allowing for such destruction of counters require good positioning, so more often than not your Mindless Zombies can be kept safe till the opponent gets through your crew first (at which point you are losing anyway).

Without MZs on the table, you still have high Wp, very good Wd, decent spells to hide from ranged attacks and only attacks targetting Df are a worry, but you can cheat those (and since these are physical melee and ranged attacks most of the time, they can be prevented in several ways).

I play Lady J and I have a friend play nico, it is always a pretty good game, he did th eMZ trick first time we played and when I got Lady J in range it was one action to toast them and then a melee expert with some onslaught action to lay Nico low. After that game, my friend used Nico's reanimator to summon lots of belles/punks/etc to protect him from lady J ever getting close to him, don't think I have killed Nico since...

Nico seems very adaptable to how the battle changes, even with a improper crew selection in the beginning he can summon the models he needs as a game progresses