Raspy Starter Set to 35SS

WookieeGunner

I have a question. I'm looking at expanding Raspy from the starter box to 35SS. I want to take an Essence of power and two Silent Ones which leaves Raspy her 4SS cache. Would I be better off dropping 1 of the Ice Gamins to give her an 8SS cache?
I'll be honest, I've peen planning a jump into the Arcanists world, and that is exactly the list I was planning.

Great minds think alike XD

I would drop the third gamin and then consider also dropping the golem for snow storm.

This would give you considerably more hittting power and also net you an extra 2ss for raspy.

Do not listen to Wormstrum, this guy is not a genius like me or my dad!

In a 35 pt scrap 0 -2 schemes are available.

Remember you can opt out of the two scheme requirement. And for each scheme you do not select, you gain 2 additional soulstones.

So if you want you can completely use up your initial crew soulstone pool and get back some additional soulstones by not selecting a 2 schemes.

I usually just pick one the way 9 times out of 10 my crew is built out I end up with 7 SS. Actually I run my crews as Wormstrum suggests.

Edited by CubertFarnsworth
To show that I am better than Wormstrum

It's a hard call. Remember in Malifaux you don't pick your list until after you know what faction your opponent is playing and after you know your strategy. The situation might determine whether or not you need the third Gamin. Rasputina does burn through a lot of soul stones, so I think in most cases you will be better off without the third Gamin.

For what it's worth, I would also consider picking up the Sabertooth Cerebus. I would use him in place of the Ice Golem to bring a little bit more speed to your list. So it would look like this:

Rasputina

Essence of Power (2 SS)

Silent One (6 SS)

Silent One (6 SS)

Ice Gamin (4 SS)

Ice Gamin (4 SS)

Ice Gamin (4 SS)

Sabertooth Cerebus (8 SS)

5 SS Pool

But then again, I would use the Blessed of December in place of the Cerebus, once the Blessed comes out.

Hope it helps!

(Edited for clarity.)

Edited by longshanks

I'm one of the few fans of the Golem around here. I think he hits hard, and with some minor support - the Essence casting December's Touch - he becomes one pretty tough target. It's expensive, but combining him with Snowstorm gives some incredible mobility, which is always his main weakness.

I don't personally use two Silent Ones - I prefer them as utility rather than offense, and find you don't get enough benefit out of the second one.

I'm one of the few fans of the Golem around here. I think he hits hard, and with some minor support - the Essence casting December's Touch - he becomes one pretty tough target. It's expensive, but combining him with Snowstorm gives some incredible mobility, which is always his main weakness.

I don't personally use two Silent Ones - I prefer them as utility rather than offense, and find you don't get enough benefit out of the second one.

thats what i do, snow storm and golem, but not always,

Actually across the factions that is an issue. Up until now decent models that had (Expert +1/2) actions that also worked for every flavor of Master within the factions really only existed in any numbers in two of the factions (If you count reckless)

With the Release of the new book issue is rectified somewhat, especially for Arcanists. Although I do have to agree with you Tadaka, I kinda wish they would go back and make one or two minor tweaks to older minions to give them a little something. Currently the golem is a pretty subpar option unless you just like the look of the model.

Even in a Raspy list if you compare the Slate Ridge Mauler to the Ice golem the Mauler is better in every way for their role of face smasher.

Which on that note, if you are looking for a good hammer for the Raspy list I'd recommend the Mauler as soon as it comes out.

With the Release of the new book issue is rectified somewhat, especially for Arcanists. Although I do have to agree with you Tadaka, I kinda wish they would go back and make one or two minor tweaks to older minions to give them a little something. Currently the golem is a pretty subpar option unless you just like the look of the model.

Not to threadjack, but this x1000.

Wyrd's design concepts have become more sophisticated as they've gone along, and nothing illustrates that more than how clunky a lot of the Book 1 models are. I totally agree with "simple" models for the starting forces, but a lot of the Arcanist Book 1 minions are simple to the point of not being very good.

Definitely not to the level of "scrap it and start over" (Scavenger joke thar), but it would be awesome for all of the Book 1 models to get a few minor tweaks.

General rules:

Always take an Essence

Always take 2 gamin (one to cast through, one to give you bite of winter)

Always take a Silent One (love that range boost!!)

Take as many soulstones as you think you can get away with

After that it is up to you. Personally, I love Snow Storm, but I tend to find that big help of Snow Storm is turn 1 and 2 for positioning, once that is done, you have an above par melee model, and an average ranged unit for 11 soulstones, that can be a lot of soulstones not doing much for the rest of the game (better than the Golem mind you).

I also love the look of the Blessed. Only played with it once, but boy did it rip some face from a Seamus crew. Definately an upgrade on the Cerberus I used before, and for the same SS cost. I am with the others, book 1 minions need some tweaks (not Gamin, they are still great).

On the note of the Blessed, I am a fan of the Blessed over the Mauler for Raspy.

So, 35 SS, what would I run (as a general rule, strategy notwithstanding)?

Essence

Gamin

Gamin

Silent One

Snow Storm

Blessed