Using the Pigapult

Wyrrn

With the new release of the Pigapult, I thought it'd be a good idea to open a new discussion on it's uses in the game. I know such has been discussed before, but I imagine more ideas will arise with more people actually trying it out now that the model is available (will get mine tomorrow! yay!).

One thing I was wondering: has anyone tried the Launch action with the Giant Mosquito in a Somer list?

I don't play Som'er but was looking at the Pigapult as an inclusion with Ophelia.

That said the risk of firing a model which will die unless they make the uncheateable defense flip puts me off using it for anything that doesn't serve its purpose whether dead or alive.

Might be fun with Pere!

That's why I was wondering if anyone's used the skeeters with it yet, since they have Df 7 and would only need 4+ flip to survive the Launch.

And though I haven't tried it yet, I've read from others that a Pere Launch is quite fun. :happypuppet1

In fact its the sort of thing that might be called broken :D

Turn one, activate the Pigapult and throw Pere right onto the opponents touch line.

If he dies then he inflicts 4 Dg on all within 3". If he lives then he gets to Oopsie and Breathe Fire on the next activation, before the opponent can move most of his models out of range.

I actually played around with a list based entirely around pigapult and it was hilarious.

This was my list

Outcasts Crew - 30 - Scrap

Som'er Teeth Jones -- 0 Pool

+ Som’er and Peaches, Avatars of Indulgence [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Gremlin Taxidermist [6ss]

Pere Ravagé [5ss]

Pigapult [4ss]

Stuffed Piglet [3ss]

Stuffed Piglet [3ss]

Stuffed Piglet [3ss]

I kept splitting the Bayou gremlins with Get your bro and then stabbing them with the pig sticker to turn them into pigs and cycle through cards. The ones that are alive afterwards attempt to launch in and tie up their ranged units in melee. They can suicide in there with Ya'll watch this for some unresistable damage on top of it. Taxidermist turns regular pigs into stuffed pigs.

Pigapult either sacs those pigs for it's basic attack (Read it carefully. You only need to sac one a turn) or the piggies take an all action to launch themselves. The basic attack with a stuffed pig sac'd is 3Blast.gif/5Blast.gifBlast.gif/7Blast.gifBlast.gifBlast.gif and doesn't need LoS. That's amazing. I've taken out 3 witchlings and a handler in one round of shooting while they were still in their deployment zone.

You can avatar with Somer incredibly easily in general and when you do he can get in there to keep them away from your improvised siege weapon and burn through their hand with Drumstickin' and Swamp Gas. Making Pigapult's 4 CB not so bad provided you cheat high.

I dont think I even have to go into launching Pere. He survives the launch, you blow up. He doesn't survive the launch, he still blows up. It's win/win.

I'm sure there's much more effective lists for this thing. But this was the one I've been using as a "Joke" and it turned out being some of my most hilarious games of malifaux I've ever played. I tabled myself. I tabled my opponent. Im considering running it in a tournament to see how I'd do.

THIS MODEL IS AMAZING. LET'S ALL TALK ABOUT IT SOME MORE.

That list looks interesting. But it illistrates the main problem I have with the thing. If you take it, you pretty much have to build an entire list around it. Unless you're fighting Pandora (no targeting!), I think its far too risky a tactic. All the foe needs to do is send a good Soulstoned up Master at the crew and it crumbles.

I'm finding a degree of success using the Pigapult as a Gremlin delivery system. Launch'n is sooo good at getting people off guard. I have yet to have Pere live from it, but its still a good use of it. Sticking Ophelia in it is also excellent - she can offset the uncheatable duel by sticking a stone on it or by having a better Df in general.

I find the Pigapult either ties up a whole list or does one or two things each game. It's okay but I find in lower point games, I'd rather have the pieces that are more typically seen in a Gremlin list (Ophelia, Rami etc).

I end up launching the Bayou Gremlins so they can take their next action to do Ya'll watch this for a guaranteed 2 damage so they're KINDA good ammo. Or just activate Deliverance and use them as little terrifying bombs. But yeah. You really do have to build a list around it, unfortunately. Everyone else doesn't get as big a buff out of it as they should. If only they made the defense flip lower / cheatable it, then it would be in every Gremlin list.

Until that day comes. Pig ammo works.

If he lives then he gets to Oopsie and Breathe Fire on the next activation, before the opponent can move most of his models out of range.
Ophelia family trees the pigapult, so Pere can activate directly after the lauch. No one will escape.

The pigapult eliminates a lot of gremlin problems. No size 1 means you can shoot Hamelin. High Wp means you can shoot Pandora. And the range and no Los means meaty death all over the board. As long you have something for ammo...

Edited by cain

Ophelia family trees the pigapult, so Pere can activate directly after the lauch. No one will escape.

The pigapult eliminates a lot of gremlin problems. No size 1 means you can shoot Hamelin. High Wp means you can shoot Pandora. And the range and no Los means meaty death all over the board. As long you have something for ammo...

Its Insignificant and therefore, cannot harm Hamelin.

Ratcatcher Hamelin is fair game though.

Ratcatcher Hamelin is fair game though.

Well, it can't target Hamelin, but it can land stuffed piglets near him and blow them up for unavoidable dg. Though, if I saw a pigapult across the table as Hamelin I'd be all over it by turn 2...since the rest of the crew won't be able to do much to stop him lol.

Still a great model, but yeah, i've found it requires a list built around it to work, and for Somer, who only draws 5 cards, it can be a bit resource/suit intensive to keep the thing shooting/hitting consistently.

Well, it can't target Hamelin, but it can land stuffed piglets near him and blow them up for unavoidable dg. Though, if I saw a pigapult across the table as Hamelin I'd be all over it by turn 2...since the rest of the crew won't be able to do much to stop him lol.

If there is even a chance Hamelin will be used then bringing Gremlins is pretty much like just conceding the game. I so hate that crew!

If there is even a chance Hamelin will be used then bringing Gremlins is pretty much like just conceding the game. I so hate that crew!

Just don't concede in an official tournament as you forfiet the tournament aswell and lose the chance to win any prizes... and also a potential ban from future tournaments aswell :(

Just don't concede in an official tournament as you forfiet the tournament aswell and lose the chance to win any prizes... and also a potential ban from future tournaments aswell :(

I said bringing Gremlins against Hamelin is pretty much like just conceding the game. Whether in competitive or casual play if there is a chance you might face Hamelin then you should bring another crew besides Gremlins (providing the TO allows multiple crews to be played).

I said bringing Gremlins against Hamelin is pretty much like just conceding the game. Whether in competitive or casual play if there is a chance you might face Hamelin then you should bring another crew besides Gremlins (providing the TO allows multiple crews to be played).

my bad missed the wording :) ... Sorry about that... most TO's don't just do single masters any more, so that's all good at least

And the Pigapult could be a good way to take out Rat Catchers.

I recently asked how Pere would work if he exploded within range of Rats and Ratcatchers.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25040

Its good news for the Gremlins, as all models in range are considered to take damage simultaneously, so if the Catchers are killed the rats won't come back (and neither do they get their armour bonus against Blasts).

Step 1: sacrifice stuffed pig whilst activating pigapult for bonus damage

Step 2: launch pere, either he explodes or survives, either is ok, surviving is better

Step 3: Either shoot two more shots at the enemies, or if Pere lives... SHOOT PERE. Pigapult cheats high/Pere cheats low, deal critical damage, pere explodes as well as you getting two blast marks and everything dies.

And by everything I mean everything close, which for my unfortunate friend meant everything in his army, only his leader managed to survive the whirlwind of pig and gremlin debris.

I think if Pere died I would've gone with launching another gremlin and firing at that. Shooting the enemy is for suckas.

Honestly, its not that bad of match up. There are ways around it.

Care to share these "ways around it"? I have heard this several times however, have yet to read a single consistant/ repeatable strategy that allows Gremlins to overcome their many weaknesses against this particular crew.

And the Pigapult could be a good way to take out Rat Catchers.

I recently asked how Pere would work if he exploded within range of Rats and Ratcatchers.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25040

Its good news for the Gremlins, as all models in range are considered to take damage simultaneously, so if the Catchers are killed the rats won't come back (and neither do they get their armour bonus against Blasts).

Yes this is a great tactic that I have used previously (along with blast spamming), however it isn't consistant or repeatable (Since Pere is the catalyst). Hamelin players usually learn quickly that they should spread out the Ratcatchers, Rats and Hamelin instead of traveling in a tight group. Ka-blooey doesn't have a large enough pulse or high enough Dg to kill the Ratcatchers (meaning the rats will come back and get to activate) and wont be repeatable if you choose to cheat down the Df check from Launch.

And then of course Hamelin can counter Pere's Oppsie! by going before him (since the Pigapults Launch doesn't grant a simultaneous activation) and just outright killing him and weathering the storm (if he doesn't devise some other horrible plan exploiting the awesome 1 WP Pere has).

Care to share these "ways around it"? I have heard this several times however, have yet to read a single consistant/ repeatable strategy that allows Gremlins to overcome their many weaknesses against this particular crew.

It is still easily the Gremlins worse match up, no shadow of a doubt. All I did was play to my schemes and play against his. Say he took Kill Protegee against you (Gremlins are such an easy target for Hamelin, after all). The scheme reads that they must have killed the model. So finish it off yourself. Sure, you'll be down your best model but its two less VP the other guy is getting and since its Hamelin, you probs won't be lasting very long anyway. More than anything else in the game, Bully should be altered. But lets not get into another balance discussion!

Its very situational but all it requires is a little smarts.

If you have Ophelia next to the 'pault along with Pere, can you companion with Pere, Family Tree the 'pault, then launch Pere and then activate him after the 'pault is done?

Yes.

Is the Pigapault worth the 4 soulstones in a pure Kin list? I haven't tried the interaction between the Pigapault and Pere, but I can only assume it's really good and might be worth it.

9 SS for the potential for 10 Damage in a 6 :pulse, to me it is way to telegraphed to be repeatable on the same opponent more then once (and of course it is absolutely useless against the Freikorps).