Official UK Malifaux Team Challenge GT - 23rd and 24th June 2012

Neverata

Thanks Guys

I have more or less of the same thoughts, on a lot of it. Leave this with me.

I will be trying to reason it out with Maelstrom or failing that the location of the tournament will be moved. I'll update you on this as soon as i know. Due to this, the bulk of the Rules pack will not be available until i have sorted out the venue and timetable

Thanks guys

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is the crack

Entry would have to be £30 for the weekend. Including food on both days, cake during the afternoon breaks and as far as i know, the first cup of tea free on both days

Now as you're aware, Maelstrom do do a lot of things for free when you take into consideration the extra charge for food:

They've confirmed as long as there are people drinking, they will remain open now until the am and not kick us out at 10pm

We get free table hire with good and expensive looking scenery, a great atmosphere and a bar (which i cannot get from any other venue)

A nicely stocked shop

I've looked into moving venues, and there is nowhere with these dates available with the same qualities mentioned above as Maelstrom. They are hard to match in that department, and personally i do love gaming there.

So this event is more than likely to be held at Maelstrom, and i would like to think that despite everyone's concerns it won't be any good, you will give them the benefit of the doubt for the first tournament and support me in this. A lot of the other games systems don't have any issues with this, and i think that because most Malifaux tournaments have never had on site catering we've never really factored in that it could be part of the ticket costs etc,

It will still have all the shenanigans of my normal tournaments, the same degree of fun, you just get food as well and the eating together team element that will be quite enjoyable. I would like for the GT's to stay central

None of the above post is not meant in any contrived, patronising or offensive kind of way. Just telling you what the crack will be for this June event :)

Thanks

Now as you're aware, Maelstrom do do a lot of things for free when you take into consideration the extra charge for food:

They've confirmed as long as there are people drinking, they will remain open now until the am and not kick us out at 10pm

We get free table hire with good and expensive looking scenery, a great atmosphere and a bar (which i cannot get from any other venue)

A nicely stocked shop

Firstly, none of this is aimed at Jo.

I don't see how staying open to sell us drinks and having stock to sell us can be classed as something they do for us for free - if the beer was free fair enough, but come on. And as for the gaming side of Maelstrom ("free table hire...scenery"), isn't that part of their business plan to build loyalty and get us to buy from them? I know I buy exclusively from Maelstrom because I appreciate the venue they give us - even though I only go there once or twice a year. It's that's "supporting your LGS" idea I suppose.

And like I said earlier, I have no problem buying food from them as long as I can choose what and how much I buy - or even if I buy at all. Telling me I have to pay for a low quality, fixed option meal as a condition of attending an event there just doesn't sit right with me - I feel like i'm being exploited or something. It's really killed any goodwill I have for Maelstrom.

I know the problem because I do this for a living, they need to take a look at the difference between social norms and market norms, and how this "must buy food" thing could affect people's view of them - http://danariely.com/the-books/excerpted-from-chapter-4-–-the-cost-of-social-norms/

For this event, I've already said I'll come so I'll be there. But I'll now buy minis from somewhere else just out of principle. So, congratulations Malestrom - you just made £15 from me for some crap food, but that £300 I spent last month (and the not inconsiderable sum I spend every year) is likely the last penny you'll get from me unless I can't source a model elsewhere.

Whether that's aimed at me or not, it still makes me crap that I can't keep everyone happy.

I don't want to paint Maelstrom in a trollish light, no other place has a decent and great bar where you can drink during games. There is loads of stuff there that makes attending for quality rather than just cheap. I was FREEZING at the last Stockport tournament.

I'm never going to be keeping everyone happy and content, so depending on what happens with Venues this year, it could see me stepping down when it comes to running events for Malifaux. I say maybe stepping down, so no need to jump in my GT grave before i'm done people.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

BUT saying that, i might still find somewhere different to run the GT.

Its all a case of trying to find the right balance!

If i will it to happen perhaps it will.

Lets see how June goes and then i'll book the November Singles GT dates and Venue. Cheers for the support though Adam, i do appreciate it.

Cheers for the support though Adam, i do appreciate it.

No thanks needed, I'm just keeping you onside in case it isn't Calmdown's baby, it makes the whole maintenance issue so much easier to deal with.... *wink*

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

And for the record, Maelstrom is a GREAT venue - just a shame they've made this decision and what it shows about the way they see us all...

I pretty much agree with what Adam said.

I'm definitely going whatever but it doesn't paint Maelstrom in the best light.

You never know though, the food may end up being so much better than last time we'll be happy to pay £15 for it in the future.

Certainly happy to give it a go and see what it's like.

As I've said before though, if their food is decent they'll make more money just having a menu. I'd easily buy 2 or 3 burgers in a day if they're nice.

That they're willing to keep the bar open for as long as we want it is great though. What could be better than an evening of beer and boardgames after a day of malifaux? The answer: Not much at all really. This at least is definitely a step in the right direction.

On a more seriouse note I think we probably need to accept there isn't going to be a 'free' venue anywhere going forward. Everywhere else seems to charge directly or indirectly. With energy costs rising a tough trading climate and the recent restrictions on GW sales this is a tough time for Maelstrom and those like them. I'd rather the venue was free to use but if that's no longer possible I'm happy to support them.

I'm going to look at it as a £7.50/day charge for the venue and free food, which sounds better to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to persuade Conrad that we need to attend this. He says that he has some other gaming system to play but will keep at him. Of course we would still need a 3rd Malifool but I'm sure if it came to it, we could just find some guy on the street and get him to play. He couldn't be worse than us :)

• 1 month later...

Afternoon everyone!

Just thought I would pop on the Forums and introduce myself. My name is Tim King and I am Maelstrom Games' new Events Manager. Although new in the job (started last Thursday!) I have been working for Maelstrom in a part-time/key-time capacity at the the larger Events.

Having read through some of the posts in this thread I thought I would come on here and firstly promote the venue but then also hopefully be a point of contact for you guys if you have any comments or gripes about how we do things! (Puts on my tin hat!!)

So for those who don't know what Maelstrom is we are one of those horrible internet stores - but not really...

We have a bricks and mortar shop, warehouse and gaming hall located just outside Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5331[/ATTACH]

When the company acquired the building back in 2010 it was a derelict old Mill (see this thread http://http://events.maelstromgames.co.uk/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=11) but after a lot of time and money we now have one of the premier independent gaming venues in the UK (I believe).

So we have our Shop where over an event you will receive an additional discount giving you 15% off the RRP off any range in stock. Also if you want something that is in stock on the website but not on the shelves the shop staff can pop out back and grab it for you.

Upstairs we have 60 6' by 4' tables that can accommodate 120 gamers or 180 on 4' by 4'. All of which have ample painted terrain from some of the best manufacturers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5332[/ATTACH]

Some how I have to fit 240 gamers in the venue middle of July for the Hordes & Warmachine ETC!! Going to be a squeeze!

Finally on our little tour we will pop down to my favourite area... the Bar!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5333[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5334[/ATTACH]

We have a late license so can stay open till 3am if you guys keep drinking, our prices are pretty decent (our Strongbow is 40p cheaper a pint than the pub up the road!). You can also take your drinks up into the gaming hall and we offer a range of alcoholic, soft and hot drinks.

Attached to the Bar we now have our own Kitchen and Chef that will feed you during the weekend. During Club nights on every Tuesday and Thursday we can provide a Bar menu but depending on the numbers at the weekends we have to have a more restricted menu.

Now I know people have an issue with the 'food charge' which in reality isn't very fair. Although we charge Jo as the Tournament Organizer per person per day it should really be named as a 'Venue charge' as all of this is included in the price! And not only that I will give Jo Store Credit which she can hand out to the winners as an additional bit of prize support!

And with all that I would like to think is we provide very good value for money.

Hopefully this will go a little way to explain why we charge you for playing in an event at our venue but we do listen which is why I have registered on the forums for you to have a point of contact. I don't wish to clutter Jo's thread so please feel free to PM me and I hope to see as many of you as possible at the Team Event!

Edited by timmaaa