New Criid player

Thechosenone

Well, "what she tries to accomplish" is like asking how long a piece of Malifaux string is. It's a very broad topic!

The way in which Sonnia usually accomplishes it herself, is by trying to maneuver into an advantageous position to get off a few good explosions and blow stuff up on her way to completing her strategies and schemes. You could go into massive detail on this subject particularly with Guild, since as Jonas says she has no particular synergies and can take what she likes, but to get you started...

As with most Guild lists, anything that can cut down on your opponent's "safe" avenues on the board, thus funnelling them towards fiery Sonnia-death, is good. Guild Austringers are #1 at this since they dont require line of sight.

Peaekeeper is also good at this since people dont want to be near a big death dealing death machine. Of Death.

Witchlings are good with Sonnia because people also dont like being near them and taking free damage when they die; furthermore, you can target them yourself (this is legal in Malifaux if you didnt know) and nuke them with Sonnia; since they're Magic Resistant she wont kill them right away, but if she does, they explode and add even more to her damage! Plus, of course, they're awesome in melee for 4 points and even have a gun.

My Sonnia list looked like this:

Sonnia +4ss

3 Witchlings

2 Austringers

Peacekeeper

Finally - if you do a very objective-based mission where you need to grab stuff, look at the Watcher, it's one of Guild's best models and very under-utilised by most people. You can straight up add it to the list above, dropping down to +1ss for Sonnia.

Good luck!

Just to add to the excellent points made by Calmdown. If you kill your own Witchling Stalker with Sonnia's Violation of Magic spell you summon a new Witchling stalker next to the one you just killed. Great for killing a Stalker that's on low health so it gets replaced by a new one on full health.

Ferb

One thing that I've learned when coming and playing Sonnia is that she can be very SS hungry in certain games. With a (0) that can give you everything you ever need at the cost of a SS when you wanna start blowing everything up it's totally worth it to use that SS + any extra to guarantee you can cheat damage to where you want it to be.

Also if you know you can kill things in Melee, don't be afraid to throw her into fights you know she can win. With her Drain Magic Trigger you can easily destroy a person's Control Hand before they even get a chance to do anything (her and Nino make a very awesome team for doing that).

And as the above posters said above. She is very control and passive-aggressive reaction based. She definitely punishes people for making mistakes.

My usual Crew is

Sonnia +4 SS

Student of Conflict

Samael

Nino

3 Witchling Stalkers

I can't add much, as it's been explained pretty well above, but I generally take max Soulstones if I can. Using her (0) to get the :tomes means you're going to be using a SS whenever you need it, and that's on top of wanting at least straight flips on her damage spells, especially Flame Burst.

Make sure to keep an eye out for models with one wound, or maybe 2-3 if they have a higher CA. They have been primed to become Witchling Stalkers with her Violation of Magic; this includes your own models.

Also don't think that she can't work well in melee. Most people disregard her up close, but not only can she clear someone's hand quickly, but she can heal herself as well as drawing cards for you. That doesn't mean you can be reckless with her, but in the right situations she can be very nasty up close. Her Inferno spell can help there, too.

I take at least three Stalkers with her, not only do they work well with her, but they are fantastic for their cost as it is. I also generally add some ranged to her lists, since Stalkers are only average with their guns; this can mean Nino, or maybe a Convict Gunslinger. Screening an incoming Executioner with her Flame Wall is also fun. Samael is, of course, basically an auto-include with her.

The one weakness a Sonnia list is likely to have is speed/mobility. Guild in general doesn't have a lot of movement tricks other than Hoffman, so I'm not sure I'd be keen in taking her in any type of strategy where I've got to keep moving, like Treasure Hunt or Destroy the Evidence. A Kirai crew, for example, will run circles around Sonnia, and can engage her well on her own side of the table. Your mileage may vary, but that's what I've seen locally.

Have fun with her! She's my favorite master; I've been playing her since the game came out, and she can be very tough to deal with.

Curiosity, what would people recommend as a Totem with her, if any. One of the presented lists has no Totem and the other has the Student of Conflict. I know people seem to advise against her Purifying Flame. I look at the Governor's Proxy and the drawback to failing Morale Duels kind of scares me away from him. Is it worth it anyway to take him? And is the Drill Sergeant worth it without any Guardsmen?

Just played my first game with just the straight up box for Sonnia tonight and had a blast with her. I don't plan to be too heavy into the Guild but I'd like to fill her out a little. Her box seems to be pretty effective so I don't think I need much.

I've been considering taking Sonnia with Death Marshals if I play against Ressers. The Death Marshals could help keep corpse counters off the board with their trigger, and Sonnia would have me covered in the case of Kirai being played.

However, it seems like I'm almost crippling myself by taking Death Marshals instead of Witchling Stalkers if I'm not taking Lady J.

Honestly, I think Sonnia has just as tough a time with Kirai. Offensively there's no problem, but Kirai players know not to try to cast at or close to Sonnia, and they don't have to. They just summon from 12" away. I played a game last week against Kirai, and she was in my face right after the first turn, and I was on the defensive the whole game. Not to say that Sonnia won't work, but Kirai is a very tough match-up for most of Guild.

Curiosity, what would people recommend as a Totem with her, if any. One of the presented lists has no Totem and the other has the Student of Conflict. I know people seem to advise against her Purifying Flame. I look at the Governor's Proxy and the drawback to failing Morale Duels kind of scares me away from him. Is it worth it anyway to take him? And is the Drill Sergeant worth it without any Guardsmen?

Just played my first game with just the straight up box for Sonnia tonight and had a blast with her. I don't plan to be too heavy into the Guild but I'd like to fill her out a little. Her box seems to be pretty effective so I don't think I need much.

I never had much luck with her totem, and some others do use the Student, but I'd just as soon use the soulstones elsewhere on minions. Plus, if you decide to go with her avatar, any totem won't last long.

I only got to look over her Avatar once (my friend picked up the book. I'm kicking myself waiting for it now). What about her Avatar means a Totem won't last?

I actually plan to pick up her Avatar. In fact, I had her box but didn't really plan to play her terribly much. Seeing her Avatar model at Gencon, that changed. I want to play her just FOR that reason.

Depends, with say the student of conflict giving you fast for the first three turns you should meet the 10 wd manifestation requirement a little quicker and on the manifestation turn have an extra action point to use (assuming you activate the student first and give Sonnia fast before you manifest) in some of my games the Student has been one of the best value buys.