Going for Kirai

Redd.Cohen

So I've been doing a lot of research up and down the forums and through the books. I've decided to take the plunge and pick up Kirais box. I just want to know how many models I need to get (to represent summons and conversions of spirits). I'm thinking the list will look like this:

Kirais box

-4 seishin

-2 gaki

-2 shikome

This doesn't represent my soulstone count, just how many models I'll need. Any suggestions? I need help guys! Help convert this Guildie to a Resser!

just to repeat what everyone else has said...

the box

2 clams of sheishin

2 clams of gaki

2 clams of shikome

1 lost love

I consider this the basics of what will get you though basically any game

so far the main things i haven't had need for are the onryo, but am going to try those more... everything else has seen field time... btw, 2 shikome & the Ikiryo on the field together is very scary for any opponent!!

a desperate merc might be ok too...

I recently finished painting my Kirai crew (took me long enough!) and played a few games. So far my entire Kirai collection looks like this:

Kirai

Ikyrio

Datsue-Ba

Lost Love

5x Seishin

2x Gaki

2x Onryo

2x Shikome

I have not felt the need for more than that when factoring in summoning. I summon 1 or 2 Gaki and feel that is enough. Some people say you should have access to 4, but I've never felt the need for more than the 1 or 2 I had in play at any one time. Also, I loose a Shikome (or 2) early on and have managed to summon 1 of them back.

My list is somewhat typical, I think. I ran the same 35ss list in all 4 games I've played.

Kirai

Lost Love

5x Seishin

2x Shikome

Datsue-Ba

The place to expand from here is having more starting options, ie Dead Rider, Insidious Madness, etc.

edit: now that I reread your opening post, I have exactly what you have plus Lost Love!

Edited by naiatoc

Night Terrors. Night Terrors. Night Terrors. Night Terrors. Night Terrors.

Did I say that enough yet?

Also, Insidious Madness. Those plus what the guys have all said above (definitely including 2 Shikome, not 1!) are all you really need. You can experiment with stuff like Dead Rider if you want but its no better in my experience than running all Spirits so I wouldn't call it a necessary purchase.

Also, when I first bought Kirai, I bought 6 Gaki and 4 Onryo in total. I've never once used more than 4 Gaki or 2 Onryo at once, although there's always the potential that you could (and you dont want to be caught short for models in a tournament). If you're playing casually you could proxy those extras, though.

Used Kirai twice now both times with following list

Kirai

lost love

Dead Rider

Datsue Bah

5 * Seshin

First time I was a massacre agaisnt the viks over extended both the dead rider and a summoned shikomi.

Second time got a 4-2 victory agaisnt Zoraida

Both times i have manged to turn the dead rider into a spirit on turn 1 but that type of luck can't hold out.

I ran a game with four night terrors. Very interesting, they can move all over the place and they are really hard to get rid of when you heal them. Very situational, but they were a lot of fun and late game they were cheap spirit sacrifices. I think they have a lot of potential in the right games.

Interesting you say that. I've looked over them and wasn't impressed. How do you run them to make them effective?

Firstly, have you seen that they got buffed on their card? They got +1 Cb and also their Blind trigger now prevents all strikes, not just ranged.

They make great objective grabbers - short of having an extra AP, there's very little that's as maneuverable as a 6" flying spirit.

They're very tough to put down; Df 5 and Wd 4, combined with spirit and hard to kill, means they will usually take 2/3 hits to get rid of; most 3pt objective grabbers like Watcher, Necropunk, etc, take 1 or maybe 2 hits. This means that people have to invest a lot to kill a 3 pt model = board advantage for you.

They're a huge board threat. Attacking and hitting an enemy model and stopping it striking for a turn is basically unheard of in a model this cheap, and not hard to pull off; even less hard if you can hunting partner it, though this usually doesn't happen, since you have to activate your Night Terrors early to get the most out of them.

All that for 3 points is just so awesome, basically.

The model pool I use for Kirai is the following, and I've never been left wanting:

Kirai

Lost Love

Datsue Bah

Ikiryo

Friekorps Librarian (Never leave home without her.)

2x Shikome

5x Seishen

4x Onryo

2x Gaki

2x Insidius Madness

2x Nurse

I've thought about using Snowstorm, and will be picking up some Night Terrors shortly.