Just checking my understanding of aColette

Chipacabra

Question

She is such a complicated lady. I just want to make sure I have a handle on how she works.

1) Shell Game says that the three models activate simultaneously. This means that they do start of activation at the same time, then do their stuff and end-activations in sequence, yes? Just like other stuff with simultaneous activations.

2) Shell Game says they can spend at most 6 general AP across the three of them. Fast(+1) counts against this because it adds a general AP, yes? So you could, for example, have two models take 3AP each, or all three take 2AP each, or one take 3, one take 2, one take 1, right?

3) Each model gets to take its own (0), right? (Except they can't cast Sublime Performance twice since no spell can be cast twice)

4) If one of the models gets reactivate, it'll just take an action by itself and ignore all the shell game shenanigans?

5) If one of the decoys gets revealed before the trio activates, does it still participate in the shell game? Shell game says that once a decoy is revealed, it's no longer exempt from taking pass actions, so does that mean a revealed decoy is forced to use up some of the 6AP on walk/pass? What if the other two models already used up all the AP?

6) Not really a rules question, but I'm just curious, why bother changing the artificial soulstone rule? Would it be a big deal if she got her 1 free soulstone for the turn on a reactivate activation?

I think point 2 and 4 are in particular need for clarification, so bump.

If Reactivating model is still limited on the AP and the spells it can cast, it makes the ability to Reactivate considerably weaker than normally.

Also, am I right that this Reactivate can only come in form of Colette doing Soulstone Infusion before Manifesting, so that one of the models inherits the effect? I don't see any other way to gain Reactivate in the crew.

I also think the Sublime Performance being limited to just 1 model is a bit of a shame, as the only other (0) action, Mesmerizing, is quite situational, but I think rules are pretty explicit here and there's no doubt it should go that way.

As to the point 5, I think the revealed Decoys are still under the effect of Shell Game - they still activate simultaneously. Theoretically there's free order to such activation, so you may spend all the AP you can spend with your remaining Avatar models, and then leave the revealed Decoy with no AP to spend on walk or pass (A revealed decoy cannot do anything else anyway, right?)

I think point 2 and 4 are in particular need for clarification, so bump.

Also, am I right that this Reactivate can only come in form of Colette doing Soulstone Infusion before Manifesting, so that one of the models inherits the effect? I don't see any other way to gain Reactivate in the crew.

Performer dying within 4" of Colette, thanks to her Precious Talent.

She is such a complicated lady. I just want to make sure I have a handle on how she works.

1) Shell Game says that the three models activate simultaneously. This means that they do start of activation at the same time, then do their stuff and end-activations in sequence, yes? Just like other stuff with simultaneous activations.

Please reference Page 31 of the Rules Manual on how to activate multiple models simultaneously.

2) Shell Game says they can spend at most 6 general AP across the three of them. Fast(+1) counts against this because it adds a general AP, yes? So you could, for example, have two models take 3AP each, or all three take 2AP each, or one take 3, one take 2, one take 1, right?

Correct.

3) Each model gets to take its own (0), right? (Except they can't cast Sublime Performance twice since no spell can be cast twice)

Correct.

4) If one of the models gets reactivate, it'll just take an action by itself and ignore all the shell game shenanigans?

Correct.

5) If one of the decoys gets revealed before the trio activates, does it still participate in the shell game? Shell game says that once a decoy is revealed, it's no longer exempt from taking pass actions, so does that mean a revealed decoy is forced to use up some of the 6AP on walk/pass? What if the other two models already used up all the AP?

It is now a Decoy model (models have their own AP). If it's revealed AFTER they've used all 6 AP, then it is still counted as being activated already.

6) Not really a rules question, but I'm just curious, why bother changing the artificial soulstone rule? Would it be a big deal if she got her 1 free soulstone for the turn on a reactivate activation?

The rule wording is much different than Artificial Soulstone. Also, it makes it so all 3 of them can't use a free Soulstone.

Not sure about this. Fast is an additional AP that is not restricted to ust say movement or casting. so I would have thought this would be seperate to the 6AP the other models can take. Otherwise there is little point in having Fast at all.

Ok, just seen RM post. so what is the benefit of Fast in this case, as the models are still restricted to 6AP regardless of having Fast or not....

Edited by Drake

Performer dying within 4" of Colette, thanks to her Precious Talent.

Ahh, you are right!

And moreover I've just realized Manifestation is a Replacement and in the Replacement rules the effect is multiplied to all the models replacing the original.

So in case of Colette using Soulstone Infusion all three Avatar models will have Reactivate on them after the manifestation, am I right?

And in such a case, every single of the Avatars will be Reactivating independently? Or do they get another Simultaneous Activation all of them?

My question would be, can aColette take 1 Fast action in additition to the 6AP of the 3 models, or can she take 3 Fast actions, 1 per each of the models including the decoys as they use the same stat card until revealed, and that stat card gives the (+1) Fast

The way I see it, with current wording, every aColette has (+1)Fast on her profile (until revealed), so each one can use the ability.

However, per Rules Manual, Fast gives the model a general action point. ->RM page 34

If you check the Shell Game precisely, you'll see you are limited to using 6 general action points between 3 models... so it seems the AP granted by Fast count towards that limit.

So what you can do is, for example:

1. Spend 3 AP with the first aColette

2. Spend 3 AP with the second one.

3. Do only the (0) action with the third one.

or go 3AP, 2Ap, 1AP for example. As they all are Fast until revealed, they all can use up to 3 AP from the pool.

That is at least how I understand that. If the AP from Fast is independent from the Shell Game restrictions, they'd have 9 AP to spend, but I don't think it is the case - the rule limiting it to 6AP would make no sense then.

WS, while Colette fan club has your attention, could you explain how Reactivate works with aColette?

1. Can Colette use Soulstone Infusion before Manifesting? I've just realized rules for Manifesting force it to be the very first action the model makes, but then (0) actions can by definition be taken at any time...

If it is possible, do all 3 aColettes get Reactivate and do they do the Reactivate simultaneously as well?

2. If the only way to gain Reactivate is from a dying Performer, then how does the Reactivating aColette operate?

- Can she use all the spells again, or do the spells used by other aColettes in the same turn are still locked out for her?

- Does she get fresh 3 AP to spend?

If you wanted one of the models to use 3 AP...

Thanks for the clarification WEiRD sKeTCH.

@ Q'iq'el, so your presumption about the total balance of 6AP and any one model using up to 3 AP is correct then. i.e. you can have 2 of the aColette's use 3AP and the 3rd one use 1AP.

So my next question...can you ever have just 2 left on the board, or will you always have 3? i.e. if someone buries one of your decoys, does the effect bury the original aColette or just the Decoy. I may have missed the relevant connection to the Rules Manual that would answer this question...

The way I see it, Decoys are revealed only by a kill, sacrifice, Wd or Dg. I'd say a model reveled as Decoy by a kill or sacrifice is killed or sacrificed, so you have only 2 Colettes for the remaining of the turn.

However, there are other complications related to your question that I'd like to ask an explanation for:

1. Frustrating, isn't it? is a rule on a revealed Decoy. Normal aColette doesn't have it.

- Do I understand right, that when the real Colette dies from kill or sacrifice, the unrevealed Decoys still remain on the table and act in their full capacity, while the revealed ones get removed together with the real Colette? It would be somewhat weird, because the real Colette won't get "revealed" on her death, so the opponent will know he killed the real one...

2. As a related question, how are we supposed to transfer the wounds from Nothing but Air without the opponents noticing which aColette is the real thing? Are Wounds supposed to be kept secret as well?

Edited by Q'iq'el

@ Q'iq'el, so your presumption about the total balance of 6AP and any one model using up to 3 AP is correct then. i.e. you can have 2 of the aColette's use 3AP and the 3rd one use 1AP.

Third one would be limited to her (0) action, I think. The pool is only 6 general AP between the three of them, not 7.

The way I see it, Decoys are revealed only by a kill, sacrifice, Wd or Dg. I'd say a model reveled as Decoy by a kill or sacrifice is killed or sacrificed, so you have only 2 Colettes for the remaining of the turn.

However, there are other complications related to your question that I'd like to ask an explanation for:

1. Frustrating, isn't it? is a rule on a revealed Decoy. Normal aColette doesn't have it.

- Do I understand right, that when the real Colette dies from kill or sacrifice, the unrevealed Decoys still remain on the table and act in their full capacity, while the revealed ones get removed together with the real Colette? It would be somewhat weird, because the real Colette won't get "revealed" on her death, so the opponent will know he killed the real one...

2. As a related question, how are we supposed to transfer the wounds from Nothing but Air without the opponents noticing which aColette is the real thing? Are Wounds supposed to be kept secret as well?

You can put wounds onto aCollette's card without showing her position. Which is the best way to deal with it. When aCollette hit's 0Wds remove all the Decoys and aCollette.

O.o... I've just realized something. Would it be possible, if owning right amount of models, for 3 Decoys to be on the table, total 4 of aColettes?

Of course via Bury of some of the models:

If the opponent Buried one of the Decoys, Frustrating, isn't it? wouldn't trigger in the End Closing Phase and she could re-appear on the table once unburried in the next turn. That would, in turn, mean a 4th Decoy could appear.

What if opponent had only 3 models. Would he be allowed to place all 3 at the beginning of the Activation Phase, or would he have to place just 2 aColettes?

I assume Burying the real Colette would prevent Decoys from getting placed until she is unburried. Would the Decoys be placed as soon as the avatar reappears then, or in her activation?

You can put wounds onto aCollette's card without showing her position. Which is the best way to deal with it. When aCollette hit's 0Wds remove all the Decoys and aCollette.

Unrevealed Decoys do not have the rule that makes them go away on her death, do they? The rule still kicks in at the End Closing Phase, because they get auto-revealed at that point.

Also, the cards will have pictures of the real models on them, so I think I'll have to count these wounds on a separate piece of paper.

O.o... I've just realized something. Would it be possible, if owning right amount of models, for 3 Decoys to be on the table, total 4 of aColettes?

Of course via Bury of some of the models:

If the opponent Buried one of the Decoys, Frustrating, isn't it? wouldn't trigger in the End Closing Phase and she could re-appear on the table once unburried in the next turn. That would, in turn, mean a 4th Decoy could appear.

What if opponent had only 3 models. Would he be allowed to place all 3 at the beginning of the Activation Phase, or would he have to place just 2 aColettes?

I assume Burying the real Colette would prevent Decoys from getting placed until she is unburried. Would the Decoys be placed as soon as the avatar reappears then, or in her activation?

The Decoys don't get replaced if removed. They just all re-conceal each turn. You can remove them from the game using Headshots and any instant death ability. This would means that it's easier to find Colette. So if a Decoy is buried, I don't think it can't be targeted by shell Game so could not be chosen as Colette and would return to the board revealed if it was revealed when Buried.

Unrevealed Decoys do not have the rule that makes them go away on her death, do they? The rule still kicks in at the End Closing Phase, because they get auto-revealed at that point.

Also, the cards will have pictures of the real models on them, so I think I'll have to count these wounds on a separate piece of paper.

I believe that "Frustrating, Isn't It?" is meant to remove all Decoys even those unrevealed when she dies. It might need a slight tweak when the cards are released.

I believe you will have a card with aColette on it and a card for each Decoy. But don't quote me on it.

The Decoys don't get replaced if removed. They just all re-conceal each turn. You can remove them from the game using Headshots and any instant death ability. This would means that it's easier to find Colette. So if a Decoy is buried, I don't think it can't be targeted by shell Game so could not be chosen as Colette and would return to the board revealed if it was revealed when Buried.

The way Decoy is worded, I'd expect to receive 6 cards - 3 for Decoys and 3 for real Colettes...

Unless the image on the card is identical for all 3 models. Would also solve the wound problem, but would make it somewhat confusing for both players.

The way Decoy is worded, I'd expect to receive 6 cards - 3 for Decoys and 3 for real Colettes...

Unless the image on the card is identical for all 3 models. Would also solve the wound problem, but would make it somewhat confusing for both players.

I think you would have a card for each Decoy, and one for Collette which you can lay over the Decoy model when it is revealed. Or keep seperate to take damage while it's not revealed. Otherwise you would have 3 damage tracks for the same model, which is wrong (and could get confusing).

Yeah, there's only 1 damage track for all 3 models, because the Decoy's can never take any wounds themselves. So I assume that you're going to get 3 cards total:

aColette

Decoy 1

Decoy 2

Then the two Decoy cards will have the appropriate stats, and no Wd tracking options. The aColette card will have 8 Wd dots, and will likely also have a spot with 3 bubbles for you to secretly mark which is the real Colette ('hat', 'cards', and 'rabbit', or some such, to differentiate the 3 models). I suspect that the artwork on the cards may possibly have all 3 models pictured in a group pose or something.

Ok so another 2 questions... apologies if the answer is obvious...

If a decoy is wounded, but uses a SS to do a damage prevention flip that prevents all the damage dealt, would they not be revealed? Can you even do a damage prevent at this stage, or do you have to wait until the damage is halved onto the real Colette then do a damage prevention flip?

I think you would have a card for each Decoy, and one for Collette which you can lay over the Decoy model when it is revealed. Or keep seperate to take damage while it's not revealed. Otherwise you would have 3 damage tracks for the same model, which is wrong (and could get confusing).

The rule calls to replace the Decoy's stat card by that of Colette. It'd be hard to do in a non-conspicious way if you didn't have the replacement cards.

Also, up till now, every Malifaux card had the true picture of the model on it. We know from the art three Colette avatars are going to look different, so the card will still identify them.

The damage track thing isn't all that confusing - you just mark the models that got damage as in any other case... but you have to mark half of the damage on the real Colette. When both Decoys are revealed, that is no problem, because the real Colette is known to the opponent at that point... But the first Decoy he reveals will show him which one is real, if you note down the wounds in the open.

This is another irregularity about the model - till now the wounds, at least among my opponents, were considered public knowledge. You could always ask the opponent about remaining wounds on the model, or see his card.

I don't see how that can be done with Colette Avatar (as long as only one Decoy is revealed).