A Piece for Me

Dumb Luck

Question

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but it arose in a game down my store and had us baffled.

McMourning hits a Marionette and activates the trigger 'A Piece for Me', which gives him a body part counter. As the Marionette is a construct and not living/undead, it therefore doesn't typically give up corpse counters (which body part counters are derived from).

Question is: would McMourning get his body part? Common sense dictates no, since they don't drop them when they die.

On the other hand, the manual says that a model can gain a counter aslong as they have the characteristic to use it. And p7 under Breaking the Rules says you always follow the card over the manual.

So which is it? Can the good Doctor take a liver from a wooden doll?

17 answers to this question

I've always played it that he gets a Body Part from everyone and everything, even a Spirit. :P Doesn't make a lot of sense, I admit.

If I've been playing it wrong, I'd love to know! If Wyrd were to errata it to stipulate living models, I wouldn't hold it against them, though I'd cry a single tear.

Trying to apply "common sense" to a minature game is madness. He gets the body part because nothing stipulates he would not.

When introducing new players to Malifaux, I find this trips them up more than anything. I try to explain that Malifaux is a game of complex interactions, all of which need to fit on the back of a tiny stat card. Sometimes a talent or spell won't make strict logical or intuitive sense, but that's just how it goes. The good folks at Wyrd try to make if fluffy, but sometimes utility and functionality wins out over common sense.

Stat card real estate is precious. Often you must infer functionality based on what is NOT written, just as every single word and symbol in a talent or spell description informs how it functions.

If a rule doesnt say or even imply something, then do not assume that thing yourself just because it matches fluff.

If in doubt, remember - common sense has no place in rules discussions :)

Excatly.

During a Perdita versus Kirai encounter:

"Why does Lead Storm count as magical?"

"Because it's a spell."

"But isn't it just a guy firing his guns really fast?"

"Yeah. Magically. It's magic."

And one of my personal favorites:

"Why isn't Scalpel Slinging a ranged attack?"

"There's no ranged icon. It's a melee attack with Rg 6."

"But doesn't he throw the scalpel? How is that not a ranged attack??"

*sigh*

I run up against questions like this all the time. It's not that I blame them, my mind still rebels a little when the fluff runs contrary to the actual game mechanic ... I suppose it's something I've learned to shrug off.

And don't get me started on Shrug Off ...

Edited by Hatchethead

And one of my personal favorites:

"Why isn't Scalpel Slinging a ranged attack?"

"There's no ranged icon. It's a melee attack with Rg 6."

"But doesn't he throw the scalpel? How is that not a ranged attack??"

*sigh*

Watch Machete... There is a scene where he uses scalpels as a Rg 6" melee weapon.. trust me.

He then uses the guys entrails as a bungee cord.. it's a bit of a shame McMourning can't do that.

Watch Machete... There is a scene where he uses scalpels as a Rg 6" melee weapon.. trust me.

He then uses the guys entrails as a bungee cord.. it's a bit of a shame McMourning can't do that.

I noticed it had been added to Netflix last night.

It shall be watched. I love (most) Robert Rodriguez movies (Spy Kids, I'm looking at you) ...

I noticed it had been added to Netflix last night.

It shall be watched. I love (most) Robert Rodriguez movies (Spy Kids, I'm looking at you) ...

I got Machete as my first Lovefilm DVD, when I signed up 4 months ago.

I never returned it....I just kept the DVD and watch online stuff now. Cant bring myself to part from it.