A Rally Call!!!

nilus

A little advice to the fellow Guildies: after playing a lot of matches vs. the Guild, I came to the conclusion that most players love to take a lot of elite units (see: all Ortega lists), which die almost as easily as a Death Marshal/Witchling, cost almost twice as much, and rarely do more damage than your awesome 4-pointer grunts. So after the Exorcist/Witchling Handler comes out, Marshal/Witchling spam might be a very efficient list.

Or Lucius with lots of Guild Guards/Hounds !

I think the proper course of action is for every other faction player to start playing Neverborn.

That'll show 'em!

On a serious note, we're called uncompetitive because we are uncompetitive. I've had good success locally, but also the local Neverborn players realize how vastly superior their stuff is and have not played as cut-throat as they could have. We have a few answers for the Dreamer, but the Alps are still there, as are the other Nightmares. Pandora removes all of our WP resistance, makes us go last and tears us apart with wound-dealing WP tests. Zoraida can kill models without even seeing them, from across the table. Not to mention the new Collodi, who can summon better than Ressers.

They're faster than us, hit harder (with a few exceptions), cast better, have better synergy, and generally can run circles around a Guild crew.

I don't even want to get started on Outcasts.

I'll admit to being a bit despondent. Every time we get Malifaux going again locally we shortly realize why we quit playing in the first place. This doesn't just go for Guild. I can't imagine being a Resser player, outside of Kirai, or an Arcanist player. Many of our locals have switched from those factions to Neverborn, for good reason.

Are the new minions/Avatars enough to even the field? I don't know.

Ugh, sorry. :(

I'm in on this. Below our some tips/pointers:

I will first start out by saying I'm a marine (medically retarded :-)) so I have a good knowledge of tactics. I highly recomend doing a google search on combined arms tactics or blitzkrieg preferably both then look back to our unit choices in the books and see how they can apply them.

Also we are a pretty straight forward faction as a whole some say this a disadvantage but if you know how to properly use it it's not.

Almost 3/4 stratedgies in this game if you look at from a certain point of view revolve around mid board control.

During the game before it starts but after strategies and schemes have been declared look for the preferable fire lanes to set up at on turn one and two (ie where it will do well to deny them theirs).

The most important thing with guild imho is to remember positioning is of atmost importance (we are a slower faction but if you move to set up on a board correctly you can deny all but the stupidest of quick models from taking things without getting dropped before they complete them.

Remember to take essentially a 50/50 style force melee/ranged. This is not to say melee can't shoot either or shooting can't swing a weapon but if you look at all our types of units it is not too hard to see which unit prefers to do what (executioner excluded pretty obvious what he does).

Don't get disheartened when facing speed crews if you lose a model or two doesn't mean they will take us down the just get initiative in when "the fight" commences.

Accept that do to us being a slower faction that we inherantley turn most stratedgey's into slaughter whether we actually flipped it or not (kind hard for opponents to complete stuff when they only have 1-2 models that are significant left by turn three).

Models that you take for doing strats/schemes of the objective type (ala watcher/dogs) you must keep protected and hidden until you bring assult elements into play and stand up the opponents force then use your mobility to go do stuff.

I will at a later date and time throw up a neverborne tactica as in how to beat them but it won't be soon so don't expect it to mysteriously appear in like 15 secs mates.

Guild all the way! Although I admit to branching out, but know thy enemy, I say.

Branching out is okay. I have known the love of a good Res crew. But just remember where your true home is. In the loving bosoms of LJ, Perdita, Sonnia and Hoffman(Yes him too, its a little none side effect of Polio)

We have plenty of options to deal with...just about every model out there...if you look at it. And with a few dips into outcasts,we can even deal with them. So what has you feeling sore huh? poison on your models from being channeled with zoraida's totem? shrug it off,any ortega can do it. Any witchling stalker can flat out remove it. Same goes with poison,blight,burning,all those negative tokens.

Alps...they can be a pain...but the thing to remember about dreamer crews...is they are glass cannons. We have death marshals with slow to die. We have witchlings that blow up when we die. And those Alps? very squishy. So you put a pair of witchlign stalkers together,and keep them together. Work in small close cells.An Alp bomb left next to Sonnia is dead and gone that turn,period. You know he is going to drop the bomb that turn,activate inferno. Watch him either not toss down the bomb,or make the mistake of thinking killing her gets rid of it and thus making sure everything around her explodes,usually including LCB. You can even sucker them in with putting a stalker or two by her to ensure it. Austringers can pick off their daydream transport capability without exposing themselves to counter fire.

Pandora got you down? Well,If a boy named sue works the way he is described,its gonna be a gigantic middle finger to pandora. Otherwise,you just keep the stalkers near her without attacking her,giving her a negative flip on any spell she wants to do. Then you chain blasts off the stalker into pandy's face and rip her a new one.

Kirai? Go ahead...bring a kirai surrounded by Seishin against Criid. We call that asian stir fry. and when they all die at once,she doesnt get to transfer damage to them. Oh yeah,and magic gives not a damn about them being spirits. Not to mention,the stalkers carry magic weapons for 4 points. And they explode and hurt whatever killed them.

You got trouble with the Lelu/Lillitu combo? Bring a lawyer.hell bring two. Hit both the lelu's with the "you aint friendly" anymore bit. And watch your opponents 28 points worth of models just melt away. Stalkers to mess up their lures,and with them,you gotta make sure to break the first one to prevent them from chain casting it. You got Austringers that can hit from as far away as they can lure,and do it without line of sight. You can use Criid's flame walls to block line of sight to get close. Sammy can ricochet bullets of sorrows and still hit Pandora. You can chain blasts as well,Santiago has this lovely 4 damage in a 6 inch pulse ability.

My point? we got plenty of wonderful options for dealing with just about any problem we can come across. We have the best option for cheap foot soldiers in the game. 4 points for hunter,scout,magic resistant,magic weapon,decent gun and great melee. Oh and if you kill them,you take 2 damage to the face.Or we have defensive 4 point models that can make entire lines of attack inmpassable to non spirits. We have shooters that can hit people no matter where they hide,and without exposing themselves to return fire. We have some of the best sheer damage dealing capability in the game.we have 3 point models (watchers) that are more manueverable objective takers then anything but the dreamer himself. AND they can remove terrifying..i mean really...how cool is that?

And as long as we stick to affordable models,chances are good we even will outnumber our opponents. and if we dont,well...kill a couple of them to get that activation advantage.

Now,I realize this all is given from Criid's viewpoint..But hey..their is a reason the rest of the guild calls us when they have to deal with a magic using threat....because flat out we are the best at what we do.

So go ahead,pop up a situation and a problem and we can all take it apart with a good way to counter it.

Edited by Dark Alleycat