Jon Kerr's Elite Division, and Lucius' Mansion.

Jon Kerr

Hi all!

This is my first proper post on the forum, so I'll also make it a quick introduction.

I've been wargaming since I was 8 years old, mainly playing Warhammer Fantasy. I've dabbled in 40k, WarmaHordes, Mordheim, Necromunda, Magic and many other games, but it's always been Warhammer thats my favourite..... though since my discovery of Malifaux it seems like thats about to change!

Painting and modelling comes second to gaming for me, and thats what I enjoy most. I run a commision painting service called Clan Kerr Miniatures to pay for me to live while I'm studying at University (ok, so it pays for plenty of beer too....)

I became captured by Malifaux immeadiately after hearing the back-story for The Dreamer. I fell in love with that crew completely- but then I found the Nightmare Edition Lord Chompy Bits, and my heart was broken. I simply don't have the money to pick up that beautiful model off eBay at the £200 mark its selling for, but I also couldn't possibly do a Dreamer crew without him....

Thankfully, I also got hooked onto another model- Lucius Matheson!

So, after my huge essay about myself, this blog will be about my journey through painting up my Lucius crew, and also building a pretty display board for these beautiful models to sit on- a small section from Lucius' mansion.

Maybe in my next post I'll also try and talk less..... so here's some pictures of the humble beginnings.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Took a little while to add an update as I've been busy with commisions/eBay minis (a WHFB Black Dragon and Cockatrice, on eBay here and here check them out)

Managed to slap a little paint on Lucius this evening. First ever attempt at NMM and I'm actually really pleased- it was certainly much easier with the mask being such a small area.... I usually just use metallic paints but for Lucius I wanted to do something a bit special.

Any comments/criticisms are very welcome! Still very WIP.

LuciusWIP1.jpg

LuciusWIP2.jpg

LuciusWIP4.jpg

LuciusWIP5.jpg

Unfortunately no progress on Lucius OR the Mansion again- but I do have some Malifaux stuff to show off.

I've been distracted by a painting competition in my area- the Leeds Iron Owl Painting Competition... as such I've been working away on a piece to enter.

Decided to do something a bit quirky and go for a working clockwork base.

Paint job is VERY WIP at the moment, the shirt will be completely redone as it was just a test. Not quite pulling off the NMM either (the robot hands are the most complete section), but not done any washes or anything yet.

CHoffmanWIP1.jpg

CHoffmanWIP2.jpg

Sorry, its been a while since I posted.

Firstly, I managed to get C. Hoffman finished and managed to take away a runner up prize at the Leeds Iron Owl painting competition. Given what I was up against, I was very pleased! Unfortunately I wasnt so pleased with the paint job I did on Hoffman, it certainly wasnt my strongest work, but given the competition on the day it would have made no difference whatsoever- the winning pieces were outstanding.

CHoffmanClose.jpg

CHoffman2.jpg

CHoffman1.jpg

I also managed to finish up work on Lucius himself. Quite pleased with the finished model, especially given that the face was my first proper attempt at NMM. The base includes part of the carpet from the inside of his Mansion- a sneak peak of what is to come when I get around to working on the display base!

Lucius1.jpg

Lucius2.jpg

Lucius3.jpg

Managed to get some paint splashed onto the Lawyer (despite him being the model I never actually use in games, havent got him figured out yet....). Awesome sculpt.

Lawyer1.jpg

Edited by Jon Kerr
Updated with images.

Currently painting one of the new GW Dragons for eBay, so I need to finish that before I start work on the Malifaux- I'm hoping to make a start on at least one of Lucius' crew by tomorrow though.

Thought I'd give you guys a glimpse of what I'm aiming for in the long run with the mansion:

MansionPlan.png

Took a little while to add an update as I've been busy with commisions/eBay minis (a WHFB Black Dragon and Cockatrice, on eBay here and here check them out)

Managed to slap a little paint on Lucius this evening. First ever attempt at NMM and I'm actually really pleased- it was certainly much easier with the mask being such a small area.... I usually just use metallic paints but for Lucius I wanted to do something a bit special.

Any comments/criticisms are very welcome! Still very WIP.

LuciusWIP1.jpg

LuciusWIP2.jpg

LuciusWIP4.jpg

LuciusWIP5.jpg

Everything is looking nice and tidy. If you have/want to do any shading on his reds, add a (little) bit of a green to your base color of red, doesn't take much. What size brush are you using on the face?

Thats for the tip, I was planning to go back to the red. The only bit thats about finished is the face, and I might still add a couple of glazes to that.

As for brush size, im using a standard Windsor and Newton... I think its a 1? Why do you ask? There are some very fine white 'sparkles' on the mask that havent really photographed very well, I think my light was too bright and got some glare.

Unfortunately no progress on Lucius OR the Mansion again- but I do have some Malifaux stuff to show off.

I've been distracted by a painting competition in my area- the Leeds Iron Owl Painting Competition... as such I've been working away on a piece to enter.

Decided to do something a bit quirky and go for a working clockwork base.

[ame]

[/ame]

Paint job is VERY WIP at the moment, the shirt will be completely redone as it was just a test. Not quite pulling off the NMM either (the robot hands are the most complete section), but not done any washes or anything yet.

CHoffmanWIP1.jpg

CHoffmanWIP2.jpg

Sorry, its been a while since I posted.

Firstly, I managed to get C. Hoffman finished and managed to take away a runner up prize at the Leeds Iron Owl painting competition. Given what I was up against, I was very pleased! Unfortunately I wasnt so pleased with the paint job I did on Hoffman, it certainly wasnt my strongest work, but given the competition on the day it would have made no difference whatsoever- the winning pieces were outstanding.

CHoffmanClose.jpg

CHoffman2.jpg

CHoffman1.jpg

I also managed to finish up work on Lucius himself. Quite pleased with the finished model, especially given that the face was my first proper attempt at NMM. The base includes part of the carpet from the inside of his Mansion- a sneak peak of what is to come when I get around to working on the display base!

Lucius1.jpg

Lucius2.jpg

Lucius3.jpg