Datsue-ba OSL

Mydnight

So I'm doing up a Datsue-ba and I want to do OSL with its lantern. Thing is, I've had only the barest exposure/experience with OSL and was wondering if I could get some tips from the more experienced painters around here. I haven't touched the lantern yet, but I plan to tomorrow. From what I've seen of other people's lanterns it'll mostly be the color of the flame within it.

The subject in question...

7bznr.jpg

G8TqY.jpg

I wish I wasn't at my work computer, because there's a great guide on CMON that I had for it. Basic idea is that you'll paint the model as normal, and then start using the colors you used to paint the lantern to add more highlighting to the model in the areas where it would have light shining on it. Which probably wasn't a helpful bit of advice, sorry, but that's the theory behind it.

Ok, here is the key.....thin your paints down! I do a 4/1 water to paint mix. Then I add mixing medium in equal part. As Edoni said paint on the color where it would reflect on to the model. Thing to remember the light source will always be the brightest part. So the center of the lanturn. Or you can do it the more simple way and drybrush it on the model around the lanturn. Either way can get the desired effect. I'll show you my ramos in which I did the top way. 2011-07-21023245.jpg sorry for the bad picture I took it with my phone.

Edited by Deadpool
Got Starburst?

I like how it turned out Ramos, and yea, I figured that I would need to paint the model as-is first, then add the lighting effects. I did drybrushing with my Ikiryo. I also use Vallejo paints, is there "mixing medium" the glaze medium? At the very least I can dig out my P3 paints (I used to play Khador till I burned out, hard, at the previous Adepticon, which is also where the Wyrd bug (having already taken hold) consumed me fully).

@edonil: Knowing theory can be a big asset when trying new painting techniques, and your explanation was pretty straight forward. Between you and Deadpool I've got a good idea of where to start, but I get so nervous trying something on a fully painted fig because, well, if it goes wrong I have to repaint it which is tedious when you're under the crunch.

Thanks for the link Jaslyne, and the compliment ^^' I try to make em as good as possible, but then I see works like yours and know that I can still learn plenty more :D

This is my first serious attempt at OSL, how does it look?

F8A7g.jpg

gooLP.jpg

onVJU.jpg

PUMAp.jpg

bNdEY.jpg

tv5YP.jpg

All in all I think it's acceptable, though I think I may have been a little heavy on the yellow

For a first attempt thats pretty good. you have the concept down now its just practice practice practice

Sounds like some positive support :-) I like it!

@Deadpool: Yea, another friend pointed that out to me. I'll have to keep it in mind for my next attempt. Yea, creepy seems to be something I'm adept at ^^'

This looks awesome for your first try I'm really impressed.

I only have a couple suggestions and one was the yellow that was previously mentioned. The second one is how suddenly it stops. Just as a personal opinion, light tends to fade off, especially on lanterns reflecting on anything, so maybe take a really thinned out version of it and have it blend into his clothing a bit more (if that makes any sense at all lol).

I can't wait to see more, I've really wanted to see someone try out OSL before I make the attempt myself.

(and thank you for the compliment that was really kind of you to say ^^)

I would support Jaslyne`s words. It is very good for a first attempt, but a question (i don`t own the model): The lantern seems to be made of yellow paper, right?

I would expect the nearest reflections on the garments to be more yellowish with a turn to green for a spooky effect further away?

What do ye other guys (and gals) think?

My first thought was a slight drybrush with bubonic brown, then a slight wash with sunburst yellow?

I would support Jaslyne`s words. It is very good for a first attempt, but a question (i don`t own the model): The lantern seems to be made of yellow paper, right?

I would expect the nearest reflections on the garments to be more yellowish with a turn to green for a spooky effect further away?

What do ye other guys (and gals) think?

My first thought was a slight drybrush with bubonic brown, then a slight wash with sunburst yellow?

The green effect you see was unintentional. I did some drybrushing with my yellow (can't remember the color I used), and painted some straight highlights. I also used a yellow wash to add more glow. I think that the browns may have had some blue/black in them, and one thing I've encountered is when you paint yellow on black that it goes a little green.

Had the same problem with my watchtower, had to make the stones again and drybrush a straight white to get a shining yellow with washing.

Wyrd and annoying.

A little bit yea. I like the creepy factor, but I think I'm going to leave it as is for the time being so I can go back and have a visual reference to look at.....that and I have a lot of painting to do before Gen Con

Very inspiring. I've never tried OSL before, and since one of the first models I will be painting for the Tale of skirmish gamers is the Datsue-ba, I will probably try it. Consider your idea stolen. Yoink !;)

Steal away! :-) I have a hard time thinking of stealing it so much as being inspired by. The best way for us to become better is by learning from each other. I look forward to seeing your stuff in the Tales of project :D

First shot at OSL, not bad, not bad at all.

So by extending light way out to the pants and shirt, the little octopus shouldn't have brown/black lining between him and the lantern. Its confusing.

OSL colors don't match up and their intensities are reveresed. The source of light should be the brightest and closest to white, even if you're utilizing a monochromatic light source.

The green effect you see was unintentional. I did some drybrushing with my yellow (can't remember the color I used), and painted some straight highlights. I also used a yellow wash to add more glow. I think that the browns may have had some blue/black in them, and one thing I've encountered is when you paint yellow on black that it goes a little green.

So you're demonstrating a good understanding of colors and you're familiar with other techniques, I gotta say,

drop the dry brushing. I know it's quick, but its not that quick and it has rarely, rarely ever been pulled off with good affect.

I think you're short changing yourself with dry brushing and you could easily pump out 7.5-8s on CMON with ease if you developed other techniques.

First shot at OSL, not bad, not bad at all.

So by extending light way out to the pants and shirt, the little octopus shouldn't have brown/black lining between him and the lantern. Its confusing.

OSL colors don't match up and their intensities are reveresed. The source of light should be the brightest and closest to white, even if you're utilizing a monochromatic light source.

So you're demonstrating a good understanding of colors and you're familiar with other techniques, I gotta say,

drop the dry brushing. I know it's quick, but its not that quick and it has rarely, rarely ever been pulled off with good affect.

I think you're short changing yourself with dry brushing and you could easily pump out 7.5-8s on CMON with ease if you developed other techniques.

I do have a lot of issues to work out with my techniques definitely. I agree on the dry brushing, and there's been so much of it going on in order to get my stuff ready for Gen Con. Some of my stuff I'm not happy with. After Gen Con when the pressure to have everything painted is off (I started Malifaux mid to late Apr) I plan to take a steadier pace. I appreciate the feedback :-) I have some street lamps that I've been wanting to try the OSL with

You seem to like my painting style Mydnight. I can show you a couple techniques when I get back that might help.

I would like that very much :-) I've got a lot of good skills/techniques, I just have to bring them together more and take a deep breath and try something new (it's so scary!)