Hardcore Western Theme'd List

CalmPlains

Hello everyone, I am here because I need your help!

Trying to get my brother into the game with me, but he is on the fence, so I want to appeal to his fancy, and come up with a playable list of all cowboys, the more true grit western the better. Some (obvious?) models that are perfect would include Death Marshals, Guild Guard(s), Samael Hopkins, Santiago, Perdita isn't bad (but guns drawn is better). Also planning on getting/converting the gencon convict gunslinger.

I have no knowledge of guild tactics or solid crew compositions (because I am new to Malifaux also) so I am asking for your help to make a solid Western-themed playable crew list to lure my brother into the game. A shooty list with a decent amount of "cowboys" would be ideal.

(note: I will be purchasing, converting, and painting these for him, as he is far less into the hobbying aspect than me!)

Many thanks in advance for all of your time and assistance, I would be greatful if you would help me pull this off before his birthday in October.

Cheers

Edited by CalmPlains

Well your definitely playing Guild then, I think the best fit is Pertita box which is a western family who all can pretty much activate at the same time which is refereed to as an alpha strike. Killing a ton but leaving you a little open for your opponent to take advantage of, but he should be cripple by then, unable to hit back as hard. Simple but effective strategy. Also they have above average stats.

Lady justice and Sonia boxes are in second, not sure if you want to pick up the second box or just the minions afterwards. the general consensus is that you don't need anything specific to go with the perdita box, so you can pick up what you like the look & feel of.

Edited by CannonFodder
added links

Perdita for sure, they are the wild west gunslinger familia. Also they are very good, and are super fun to play. Also depends on how many points your trying to make for him?

At 35 ss I would get:

Perdita

Nino

x2 Austringers

Santiago (may need to convert so he has a cowboy hat)

Francisco (ditto as his is on his back)

What ever else really as papa loco is semi wild west but uses dynamite. Grammy is family too but isn't really favored by many. I guess death marshals can work but I don't know.

Hope you can get him into the game, but perdita is your best choice for sure.

Well your definitely playing Guild then, I think the best fit is Pertita box which is a western family who all can pretty much activate at the same time which is refereed to as an alpha strike. Killing a ton but leaving you a little open for your opponent to take advantage of, but he should be cripple by then, unable to hit back as hard. Simple but effective strategy. Also they have above average stats.

Lady justice and Sonia boxes are in second, not sure if you want to pick up the second box or just the minions afterwards. the general consensus is that you don't need anything specific to go with the perdita box, so you can pick up what you like the look & feel of.

Yep, Guild for sure, which is why I posted it in this section!

Not worried about sticking to a boxed set, but I will purchase part of the crew that way if it makes sense from a cost perspective. As this is a gift for his birthday, I am not looking for the cheap way but the right way, so whatever I need to buy in order to get the best Cowboy crew going.

Perdita for sure, they are the wild west gunslinger familia. Also they are very good, and are super fun to play. Also depends on how many points your trying to make for him?

At 35 ss I would get:

Perdita

Nino

x2 Austringers

Santiago (may need to convert so he has a cowboy hat)

Francisco (ditto as his is on his back)

What ever else really as papa loco is semi wild west but uses dynamite. Grammy is family too but isn't really favored by many. I guess death marshals can work but I don't know.

Hope you can get him into the game, but perdita is your best choice for sure.

Perdita looks a lot more western than Lady J, so this is an excellent suggestion, thank you.

And yes, I want at least 35ss worth of models so he can have some choice/flexibility. As for conversions, giving Santiago a hat would be pretty easy, so thats no problem, and hat on the back would be tough to fix, so i might just let that one slide, haha. Papa Loco is colouring too far outside the lines for me, definitely want to include more gun slingers.

Do the Austringers just have birds or? I am guessing they are included b/c they are good for the crew, but I would love to replace their birds with guns, or fit different models in the list altogether.

Keep the lists coming, it is all a huge help for me (my mind is still thinking like a Neverborn).

Edited by CalmPlains
To respond to Iamwyrd also!

I have played with Perdita a lot. I've played many times with no 'Family' at all - using a combo of Death Marshals and Withclings. She is one of the most balanced and self-sufficient masters. I think the Death Marshal is a very solid 4ss model and is one that can hold it's own - it mainly benefits from having other DM's working nearby - so it is a model that works well with her.

Santiago is aces in the shooting department but really struggles when engaged in melee so keep him screened with something that can intercept (DM's easily fill this role).

Sam Hopkins can dish out an insane amount of damage but really benefits from having a Witchling or two with him. They can keep up with him (scouts) and are perfect for running intercept for him, which he needs though not quite as badly as Santiago.

I have played with Perdita a lot. I've played many times with no 'Family' at all - using a combo of Death Marshals and Withclings. She is one of the most balanced and self-sufficient masters. I think the Death Marshal is a very solid 4ss model and is one that can hold it's own - it mainly benefits from having other DM's working nearby - so it is a model that works well with her.

Santiago is aces in the shooting department but really struggles when engaged in melee so keep him screened with something that can intercept (DM's easily fill this role).

Sam Hopkins can dish out an insane amount of damage but really benefits from having a Witchling or two with him. They can keep up with him (scouts) and are perfect for running intercept for him, which he needs though not quite as badly as Santiago.

Alright, so this brings me to the following list of models that fit:

0 - Perdita (Cache 2)

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Guild Guard

4 - Guild Guard

for 20ss, leaving 15ss left to be filled. Which two of the following would work best with the above:

7 - Santiago Ortega

7 - Nino Ortega

7 - Judge

7 - Guild Guard Captain

8 - Samael Hopkins

Alright, so this brings me to the following list of models that fit:

0 - Perdita (Cache 2)

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Death Marshal

4 - Guild Guard

4 - Guild Guard

for 20ss, leaving 15ss left to be filled. Which two of the following would work best with the above:

7 - Santiago Ortega

7 - Nino Ortega

7 - Judge

7 - Guild Guard Captain

8 - Samael Hopkins

I think I would pick Nino for sure since you're lacking long range support. Then either Santiago or The Judge, depending on whether you want a ranged model or a melee tank, really up to taste.

I don't think I would take Guild Guard Captain here as he really suffers without Lucius. His speed is so abysmal that he really needs Lucius' Reinforcements spell to move around. I also don't like Hopkins without Sonnia as he is expensive and very vulnerable to spells without her Counterspells to protect him.

I would leave more than 2-3 soulstones for Perdita to use during the game. She becomes almost invincible with 5-6 stones and can act much more freely. You could sneak in a few more by taking for example Francisco or another Guild Guard in place of one of those 7 SS models. The Convict Gunslinger is also a great option.

-Ropetus

Edited by Ropetus

Guild Guard aren't spectacular, I think those points could be better spent. I'd drop the GG and go with Santiago, Nino and Judge. Or, instead of Santiago - put in an Austringer and the Enslaved Nephilim. I know he doesn't fit the cowboy theme but that extra Obey is boss. Let him hover around Nino for an extra shot every turn - if you pull a hand of the right cards you can trigger happy Nino for awesomenss.

Keep the DM's together so if the opportunity arises to use their 'finish the job' spell they can capitalize on it. Otherwise, keep them shooting - they're better at it than melee.

Judge runs excellent paired with Perdita, he is quick enough to keep up with her and has some nice attack options - with his regular actions and an obey thrown in he could make lots of attacks with his spells.

Not a big fan of the convict with Guild crews with all the guns they already have available. I prefer Santiago for the SS. Personal opinion.

The thing I really like about the convict gunslinger is that it can fight in both melee and shooting. So he doesn't find himself in a tough spot in addition lifer + ruthless means he ignores some of the will power tests that may slow/stop other models.

The other day I took nino and convict gunslinger in the same crew.. quite nasty as I milled my deck quite a few times due to multiple trigger "happy going" off. Even if you are doing minimum damage I would always go for more shots over stronger damage!

Making an all cowboy theme is relatively easy with guild since just about every model carries some sort of shooting weapon. Perdita is very self sufficient master to run the crew with. I would agree that I would want Perdita with 5-6 stones, because if her high defense fails her she is a world of hurt. Always avoid a hit all together rather than flipping to prevent damage.

You can even model ryle as.a two manned mini gun crew! Though that's probably more weird west than cowboy but always an option.

I would get perdita's box, lady justice box, 2-4 dogs and 2 austringers (the ones with the hat) and sammael hopkins from blisters.

You would end up with this (I think)

Perdita

Lady J

Judge

Sammael Hopkins

Death marshals x 3

Santiago

Nino

Fransisco

Papalocco

Austringers x 2

Guild dogs x 2-4

Your brother probably wouldn't end up using them all, but I really think you should give him some options. A cowboy theme is awesome, but he might look at papa locco and think a crazy guy with dynamite hilarious. As for the dogs and austringers, just convince him cowboys used animals all the time (which they probably did). And after sifting through those models he could decide if he likes a more ranged or melee focused crew. Good luck to you and your wallet!

The thing I really like about the convict gunslinger is that it can fight in both melee and shooting. So he doesn't find himself in a tough spot in addition lifer + ruthless means he ignores some of the will power tests that may slow/stop other models.

The other day I took nino and convict gunslinger in the same crew.. quite nasty as I milled my deck quite a few times due to multiple trigger "happy going" off. Even if you are doing minimum damage I would always go for more shots over stronger damage!

Making an all cowboy theme is relatively easy with guild since just about every model carries some sort of shooting weapon. Perdita is very self sufficient master to run the crew with. I would agree that I would want Perdita with 5-6 stones, because if her high defense fails her she is a world of hurt. Always avoid a hit all together rather than flipping to prevent damage.

You can even model ryle as.a two manned mini gun crew! Though that's probably more weird west than cowboy but always an option.

And don't forget Suppression Fire, which can help in getting Nino's headshot off to much greater effect if played right.