Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Well, I finally managed to sit down and get some paintin done for a while. And discovered I was having one of those hamfisted, can't-make-the-paint-behave days. So I did the base colours, then gave up and decided I'd do it tomorrow! (When I'll also get my pc hooked up so I can upload photos at last)

So instead, I lounged about and then broke out the tools and poked putty for a while. Now it's in the oven, I can enjoy my alcohol and do more tomorrow!

Ok, so it's a fairly small update. What can I say, its been busy and the few times I've been able to pick up brushes, I've not been in the zone! I need to go back and tweak the flesh a little, add in some glazes to tie it together and give it the right look, but I couldn't decide what to do exactly so have started the clothing and will come back to it when I've worked it out. I think it needs a blue-brown, and some purple and possibly green around the eyes. Not sure though. And at this zoom, everything looks a bit naff!

DMskin.jpg

I've had a bit more success with my sculpting, that's gone fairly well. I've made some progress o something I planned to start a long time ago and didn't, then recently decided to start on. It's based on Spiku's brilliant picture of Ophelia copying Lady J instead of Perdita (and now I can't find his old art thread to link to). So far, I've nearly finished the legs...

GrnJstlegs.jpg

Thanks! Ophelia is going along well, she now has a stomach and one and a half breasts...

I can't decide on the eyes, I want something a little sickly but still definitely human. What do people think to blue eyes with yellowy whites?

Now that, is a good idea. I've used turquoise in most of them, so the green will match into long as I pick the right one, and it's a bit more interesting than dull old blue!

Also, ophelia now has two breasts. Just to totally remove any credibility I might have in a sexism in miniatures argument!

Casting? Really not sure, depends on many things. Including what Wyrd and Spiku would sy about it!

In other news, the painting guide will be a little delayed. I've just got an email through telling me my work visa has been approved, so I'll be starting the frenzied packing and prepping for relocation tomorrow. Which means the death marshalls will be getting sealed away in the carry case ready to be shipped over after I get sorted out. I will carry a little sculpting gear with me, so I don't go nuts, but may be a bit rubbish with updates for a while!

Thanks folks! I'm already getting stressed with having no painting kit to play with, but at least I can still play with putty in the rare moments I have free time. Green justice is coming along, I'll try to get a photo before I go.

Hopefully the whole process won't take too long, and I'll be back to it all soon! Not that I won't still be on here all that time...

Well, I did say I'd try, so here's one last update before I go wandering the globe (briefly). I'll still be around to talk painting related nonsense at people, but there won't be any new pictures for a little while! So here's Green Justice as she exists so far (although I can see from the photo that there are one or two bits of cleaning up to do on her):

GreenJusticetorso.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's not Malifaux, but here's a sculpting update of something I've been doing. And it's the first test of my new setup that allows me to take pictures without my usual bits and pieces and desktop PC, which is back in England.

3c9f5e7d.jpg

I plan to do a little green justice sculpting later on, so there might be an update soon that will actually be Malifaux based...

I've just realised something bad about the new releases - my carefully made spreadsheet that's designed to stop me buying too much stuff and not painting it won't be able to cope with dual faction models! So now I have to decide which faction to put Jakob Lynch and co. in...

Ahh, the pointless things I think about on dull Saturday nights.

I use a reasonable camera, a canon DSLR. Good few years old now, but still works a treat. And a close up lens, with a macro attachment for really really close stuff. Then just stabilise camera, focus carefully (more carefully than I did for the zoomed shot of that snake!) whack the aperture wide open to make the whole model in focus, and click. Often means several seconds exposure so tripods are kind of handy, although in this case I sat it on a pillow...

Course, it helps when you like photography so you've got all that stuff lying about anyway.

You can try! And if you manage it, then sell your skills to a famous photography studio quick *grin*

Unfortunately, you do need something a bit more powerful for good photos of small stuff. Probably not as much kit as I have or use, but your basic instant camera will struggle to get the light right and the focus on all the model rather than just one small bit.

And most of my shots come off the camera, get their levels and colour balance sorted out, then converted to jpg and sent through photoshop to be combined, resized and saved, then uploaded to photo bucket and linked from here. It's a bit of an arse in many ways! But good pictures make for good critique - I usually see stuff on the photos that I couldn't by eye, and then I can go back and fix it.

Back when I used to enter golden demon, I used to take dozens of shots of models I'd done and use them to find the mistakes.

And now, after a short delay, photos of green justice so far!

84194275209a36977ac15f89a234b73e.jpg

84d72aec34be4271623c34f2a5a01e81.jpg

So she now has a head, hair, the very Roy block for the first half of a pig (legs make it impossible to one piece the fuzzy little critter I think, tho I'll be pondering the best way to split it up as I go). Oh, and a stupidly long scabbard. I think I got carried away, it's 50mm long and looks ridiculously silly. Still, I can always cut it down, unless people like the look of sword being nearly double her height!

I was a bit in two minds earlier, when the thing about more parody gremlins got mentioned, since it may well mean that all this work gets superseded by a plastic crew box. But I've decided to carry on and get it finished anyway, since I've started and am enjoying the process! And of course I can always tell myself Wyrd might want it if I ever lose heart (despite being a digital sculpt company now lol) *grin*

What's worse is I was planning to do death gremlins and the Judge too, so I had a comedy proxy justice crew. Might leave that now, not decided yet...