Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

And yet more chain sculpted! I got a bit of a kick up the whatsit when the February releases were announced, because I want to finish Jaakuna before she comes out on the release list. Which means I need to get on with these last few bits. So close now, and yet so far...

Chainframingwire.jpg

The list of stuff to do looks like about a dozen more sessions, so if I get a shift on I may even get close to finishing this week!

Edited by Mako

Cheers folks!

I'll also be posting up my work on alt Lady J when I get her sorted out, she'll be the step by step in the first issue of the fanzine with any luck so I'll post her up when she's finished.

Spending tonight working on the second corpse and yet more chain. With two night terrors sat primed on my desk waiting for me to get a few of my other bits sorted and get them painted up!

That's hardcore door to door delivery! Here's my version of alt Lady Justice, Now I've written a full step by step guide (shameless plug for my article in the fanzine, whenever that comes out!) I thought I'd drum up some interest by posting her up here :). I've used a fair bit of colour theory to get her to work and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with it.

LadyJfinished.jpg

And now, back to sculpting...

Edited by Mako

Cheers guys, she's actually quite a simple paintjob, but with some colour theory thrown in to make her look more impressive. I think I like this paintjob more than my Kirai crew, which is a shame since Kirai's my girl and the only one I have even half a crew painted for!

It's been good to paint something, I've been stuck trying to get things sculpted and haven't really had anything to paint for a while! Not decided what I'll paint next, could be the Judge, a guardian, some night terrors or a showgirl. I'll just see what I want to poke with a brush when I next sit down to paint I guess!

And of course, soon hopefully there's be a finished Jaakuna to deal with. Nearly finished up the second corpse and the chain to the first one. That's been a fair bit of work...

I've actually just decided to redo the head on the second corpse, it's ok but it doesn't amtch the artwork so I'm carefully slicing it off and will get a new one sculpted over the next day or so. In case people are interested, here's the one I'll be taking off:

corpse2hair.jpg

I'm finally nearly finished with sculpting chain though, so that's a relief!

Edited by Mako

You're Lady J is absolutely stunning. I've always been a fan of this mini but I'm now completely in love with it. It's nice to see her in a very different colour scheme too. The scraps of newspaper at her feet are a great touch too.

And, as always, your sculpting is mindblowing. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Thanks guys, I need to work on my skin and hair painting a bit but Lady J was a good step in the right direction. I reckon she's one of the best bits of painting I've done for a good while.

with Kirai, there's only the night terrors and her avatar to go (I have a plan for that, might start her soon), and then I have to finish Jaakuna and sculpt a Shikome...

Believe it or not it's only about a year since I started sculpting properly. Spend some time looking up proportion, anatomy (you get dodgy looks with that one) and how fabrics move. The human eye is brilliant at spotting tiny defects in proportion, scaling and dynamics. I've got a few of Burne Hogarths books on fabrics and dynamic figure drawing, as well as Anatomy for the artist and various muscle diagrams. I also have digital calipers for avoiding scale creep.

Other than that, it's really a case of practice. Try using different putties, green stuff is ok but these days I use Fimo classic. Get yourself some decent tools (I buy dental tools from a sculptors supply shop online, they have very smooth precise tips), something like a wax 5 is good to start with.

Then just build a wire armature, wrap a thin layer of putty on it for the rest to grip to, then play with it. practice bodies and legs for a while, then move onto heads and hands as they're a right pain to learn. There's a lot of tutorials online, I have a pdf one on my computer that I used to learn faces. I'll try and remember where I got it from.

Most importantly, lubricate your tools (water or baby oil/vaseline if you want something that sticks around longer), don't try and do too big an area at once, and just keep doing it again and again til it works. My first dozen faces were utter rubbish. Jaakuna's current face is either the third or fourth I did for her, the rest got pulled off...

That probably doesn't help a whole bunch, but really the only way to learn it is to get putty, wire, and a tool and go for it :)

And pencil erasers are great as bases while sculpting. That or corks, but I prefer erasers.

And don't worry or get disappointed when your first efforts look dire (mine were horrific)! They always get better with practice.

And here's another update on Jaakuna. The chain is done except for the ends, which I'll do when I've baked the new arm and hand. There's a couple of loose links to go at the back of her hand, and a few that need putting in to disguise the joint to the corpse.

Jaakunachaintocorpse-1.jpg

Still working on the other corpsey bits. Three heads, some lily pads and a few final tweaks (that blasted hair flower has been interesting to make!) and she'll be done

Edited by Mako

I'm having a very frustrating time sculpting the flower for Jaakuna's hair, I've made five in hte last two days and none have looked right. Still, they're quick to make so not too bad to make more.

I've also Done the end of the chain she's holding, which means with a couple of tweaks she'll be done. That just leaves the last few faces on corpses, and some lily pads to go. Getting really close now!

Phew! Just gone back through and removed the attachments, replacing them with links. That's the unfortunate part of the forum upgrade fixed...

And here's the latest progress on Jaakuna Ubume. She has two floating heads, a finished chain, and lots of lily pads. Just hte ears and hair for the other corpse to do, then the last few lily pads, and some flowers. Oh, how I hate those flowers *wink* (For a closer look, click on the pic. The new forum resizes a little more than I expected)

Jaakunaheadsandlilies.jpg

Edited by Mako

Cheers! I'm pretty pleased that she's coming together as I get so close to the end. It's taken 4 months of being fitted around the usual chaos that is my life, but such is the way!

Also, since hte last shot was fairly small, here's a bigger shot of just one of the angles:

Jaakunaheadsandlilieslarge.jpg

Edited by Mako