Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

I know the feeling well, had it many times...

I found that asking any question you felt like asking, and trying things out that you see in other threads, makes for huge leaps in your painting. Before you know it, you're past the level you used to get depressed looking at and getting depressed at a whole new set of painters instead *wink*

Mako! I see that you're in Toronto!

I totally recognize your Yan Lo from the Hobby Ninja Painting Contest a lil while back! Small world!!

Quick Question for you, The gel medium you used for the water effect, where did you get that? Was it purchased somewhere locally? What brand is it? I'm looking to sculpt some fire for a diorama...

thanks!

It's super heavy texture gel, you can get it from most art supply stores. I pick it up in one of the ones downtown.

I've been working on sculpting flames with it for a project I'm planning, its a little fiddly but its doable without too much trouble. Getting them looking realistic is the hardest bit.

Ok, a quick update. I'm going a little light on the photos as I do have to push this project through quite quickly, and taking pictures is time I could be using to get stuff done!

LJtrousers_zpsefc7a14f.jpg

There's the trousers, with the stripe painted on. And here's the new fence after I wrecked the old one:

fence_zpsd63f9ce5.jpg

So progress is occurring. This week I have to get things really moving along to make up

for the loss of the last week to the fence disaster.

Shiny models though! Totally different look to malifaux, it's nice to do something different now and then.
I'm not saying the models are bad. I'm a big fan of a good chunk of Aleph and the Pan O heavies. It just involves getting into another game system, one based around hugging cover and taking pot-shots.

Now go find me that flame sculpt guide you mentioned so I can start my Cannoness base.

I've never been a fan of the dead justice models: I always thought of lady J as incorruptible, so it goes against my "Fluff-o-meter". That doesn't stop you from painting completely awesome models though. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what can be done with them, and especially with the scenic base. I love scenic bases!

I'm not saying the models are bad. I'm a big fan of a good chunk of Aleph and the Pan O heavies. It just involves getting into another game system, one based around hugging cover and taking pot-shots..

Never tried it, though I might one day if I ever get stuff painted for it! I care more about the shiny things than the rules of other games though (I care about the malifaux rules, I still need to get that clause that gives me an extra 5VP for being me in there...).

I've never been a fan of the dead justice models: I always thought of lady J as incorruptible, so it goes against my "Fluff-o-meter". That doesn't stop you from painting completely awesome models though. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what can be done with them, and especially with the scenic base. I love scenic bases!

Be very glad your dislike means you don't have to prepare them. Total mare. Still, she's been a fun new challenge, and just think how dead and ugly I can make plastic sybelle when she comes out now I've practiced it more *grin*

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just in time for the end of hte sculpting challenge, here's the harpy cast and sorted:

Harpycast_zps61964ae1.jpg

And then here's the latest work on dead justice. A quick one of Lady J, and an overview of the base layout now I've nearly finished messing with it.

LJonbase_zpse493605f.jpg

layoutbaseneardone_zpsf38ea681.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's one of those things that I love and hate about competition stuff. It has to be done exactly right, which means no shortcuts. The end result pleases me, but getting there is torture...

Here's a little update with some skin painted, and Miss Treated primed up. I think I'm also allowed to say that I might write an article about the competitive painting process, how I go about it, why I did things, and how it's different from my usual painting mentality. Also, there'd be lots of photos of the finished article (all the details), and other shots you haven't seen like Miss Treated before she got primed. If anyone's interested, of course.

misstprimed_zps64943c1f.jpg

DMskins_zps7fa0333a.jpg

Next up, I have to research skin tones for Miss T and then move onto the clothing...

Thanks all!

Been a few days since I really looked at my own thread (oops), and in that time I've... Done very little. Most of today has been taken up by sorting out an edging for the group base, which I'm now assembling. Then it's on to Miss Treated's skin, and a busy evening and day tomorrow of trying to catch up frm what should have been a couple of hours work taking all blasted day...