Using Jackdaw

Mbbelius

I'm currently running Seamus and have tried fielding Jackdaw on a couple of occasions but without much success.

I know I must be playing him wrong as everyone says he's uber.

What I have found difficult is that he seems to be targeted alot and therefore I am burning through cards to keep him alive and also the "no cheat bubble" also applies to your models as well.

Any tips on how to successfully use him would be awesome :)

In our metagame there is a fair amount of magic kicking about - if this helps!!

The ani-cheating aura is definitely boss, but that's kinda what's expected of him. You could also try switching it up and just going with (0) Doomed and then spamming the crap out of Hangmans Knot for the Heart Stopper trigger, or tying up models in melee and hitting them with Suppressed Memories over and over to make them burn their hand.

With Seamus you need him at the right range. preferably about 8" ahead of Seamus and friends behind some terrain.. Then you drag enemy into the no cheat bubble with lure and then shoot them in the head.

In fact Ratty takes him in almost every build ive played against, and he is certainly the lynchpin in his crews/playing style (Bar Big Z). When used properly in the right crews he can be all but unplayable: he takes so much hurt to shift the rest of the crew walks all over you. Make sure you have some cards to chuck away (i mean come on, he makes even a 1 a great card in this respect, + you get built in arcane resevoir)

I actually dont use him (or dopple ganger for same reason) with Pandora because I believe its too good a combo...

For your crew imagine (following what ratty said...) getting him in range to use the aura, without melee bonus. Now shoot with copycat and cheat high- he becomes awesome. H

In fact Ratty takes him in almost every build ive played against, and he is certainly the lynchpin in his crews/playing style (Bar Big Z). When used properly in the right crews he can be all but unplayable

Not entirely true. I've only used him once with Pandora, and only about 50% of the time with Seamus. It just feels that way... He is kind of memorable in the games I use him.

I hope your are counting the fact that he can only be damaged by Spells, magical weapons & Focused attacks. I don't play him but I find I never have enough of those types of attacks to make a dent. Without being able to cheat I fail a good chunk of my spells.

You should be able to have him ruin you opponents day as long as you focus the rest of you force on the models that can hurt Jack.

I've avoided taking him for this reason; I've got nothing against people using him, but with any wargame I play I try and win without taking the popular 'big-hitters' (I.e Pedro Kantor for 40k etc etc etc)

Saying that, his abilities are all really, really nice, and it IS very tempting to take him with Kirai - but it hinges a lot on placement and using him properly, which I can't even manage with the core parts of my crew yet =P

Newbie Q : What about the Doppleganger / Jack Daw with Pandora is "too good"?

Never saw it done, but I don't think so. Too many point in non-damaging models. I think that's 17(not 100% sure) point for the 2 models. Yes Pandoras ability x2 is mean but you need to have a couple more things that cause WP checks.

Draznar, the nasty bit is when the Doppelganger mimics Pandora's emotional Trauma ability, so failed WP duels cost you 2wds.

Pandora can cause a LOT of WP duels in her activation alone, and if you're not allowed to cheat by being close to Jack then that's pretty much guaranteed damage from Emotional Trauma x2.

In a 35ss game there's usually still 15ss left over to spend on other minions to ramp up the number of WP duels your opponent can fail.

Mike

With Seamus you need him at the right range. preferably about 8" ahead of Seamus and friends behind some terrain.. Then you drag enemy into the no cheat bubble with lure and then shoot them in the head.

I used him last week for the first time with seamus in my league and loved him. Early in the game wasnt having much success cause he was sitting back with the crew but saved my ass late in the game with suppressed memories and doom and as a tie up unit in melee if its someone that can wreck you gets too close and can definitely make your opponents hand and stone pool smaller.

Although i was not able to apply the no cheat bubble it is a very helpful option for the copy cat killer cb of 3 and ensures Seamus one shot works.

Well, fielded JD with Kirai last night against a friends Raspy crew and he didnt do alot at all.

Probably a mixture of my newbness with him and Kiriai and also my mates magic heavy Raspy crew.

Weighing in at a hefty 9ss, I just cant seem to get him - in my Seamus crew I think I'm going stick with Bette as she is a virtually guaranteed to have an impact whereas I think JD is completely situational.

Weighing in at a hefty 9ss, I just cant seem to get him - in my Seamus crew I think I'm going stick with Bette as she is a virtually guaranteed to have an impact whereas I think JD is completely situational.

He cost 10ss, but yeah i do find him very situational mostly for shooty and low wp crews and you can never go wrong with bette in a ressie crew.