Stolen and rats in 35ss

Tiny

Ok i mostly play 35ss and i just impulse bought a hamelin crew plus some. Now he's been out for awhile and people have had a chance to play him more thoroughly just wondering what people think will be the most rats and stolen ill need?

Also my general starting crew is looking like:

Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Hamelin the Plagued -- 6 Cache

Obedient Wretch [2ss]

Malifaux Rat [2ss]

Malifaux Rat [2ss]

Malifaux Rat [2ss]

Malifaux Rat [2ss]

Rat Catcher [5ss]

Rat Catcher [5ss]

The Stolen [3ss]

The Stolen [3ss]

The Stolen [3ss]

I tend to run

Hamelin (5 ss)

Wretch (2)

Nix (7)

Ratcatcher (5)

Stolen (3)

stolen (3)

Rat (2)

Rat (2)

Rat (2)

Rat (2)

Rat (2)

At first I couldnt justify Nix in the gang but he is awesome in support and he also adds a bit of flavour to the gang. Although I sometimes end up having two Ratcatchers on the table later on during a game I have not found I need them near the start. One rat catcher can easily maintain five rats by himself.

I switch between 3 stolen and 4 rats with one less soul stone and two stolen and 5 rats and have not yet found my preferred combo.

wow i must be sick if i forgot nix out of the list! Thanks for the feedback, i'll try running it with just the one rat catcher to start with.

How many rats do you find you've needed at most? And have you ever needed more than the 3 stolen?

My list at the minute is -

Hamelin the Plauged

Nix (7)

Obedient Wretch (2)

Malifaux Rat (2)

Mailfaux Rat (2)

Rat Catcher (5)

Canine Remains (2)

Canine Remains (2)

Canine Remains (2)

Terror Tot (3)

> Cache of 8ss

I find the canine remains are slightly better in combat than the rats, give you better activation control, and turn into rats anyways when they die. I won't explain the dirtiness with the Terror Tot.... ;)

I have 6 stolen and sometimes get 4 on the board at any one time (with the changes to how Hamelin works I've not found a need to start with a Stolen on the board), if you're starting with them in your list you def need more than 3. I have 18 rats and regularly end up with 12+ in play at once.

Also consider Molemen for certain strategies/schemes - they tend to be good for grabbing objectives, especially as they can do it whilst buried and armour(+5) as they don't count as insignificant.

Edited by magicpockets

Like you i have just splurged on Hamelin plus the extras! I have ended up with 12 rats in total, which I'm sure i read on here is usually enough. And I think i also read that 3 stolen was a good number too.

I think its important to include Nix if you can and keep him safe for as long as possible as he can provide 'nihilism' to the crew, freeing hamelin to be more proactive?

i could be wrong....

I have 15 rats at the moment and have run out in games (against gremlins) that has been enough so far. My new stolen turned up in the mail today which is cool as I find that with three I have run out a few times. I am sure another pack or finding two or three more child models will help you out alot.

Hamelin the Plauged

Nix (7)

Obedient Wretch (2)

Malifaux Rat (2)

Mailfaux Rat (2)

Rat Catcher (5)

Canine Remains (2)

Canine Remains (2)

Canine Remains (2)

Terror Tot (3)

> Cache of 8ss

@ Magic. Yes Canine Remains are better in combat that rats (and a bit quicker for objective capping which is the only reason I would probably take them) but they lack the ability to give blight counters, and they might outpace the rats and the catcher if you get all charge crazy. I guess if it works it works, but I don't understand the synergy.

As for the Terror Tot...please please please please tell me that you're not using him to grow into a Mature turn 1...because you can't.

@ Magic. Yes Canine Remains are better in combat that rats (and a bit quicker for objective capping which is the only reason I would probably take them) but they lack the ability to give blight counters, and they might outpace the rats and the catcher if you get all charge crazy. I guess if it works it works, but I don't understand the synergy.

I dont rate blight counters other than the one extra wound, I've never cast the spell which uses them. I use the CR alongside Hamelin and keep the 2 rats with the catcher. Main reasons -

1) rats with Hamelin are lame as you need a Rat Catcher for kill all rats to get the proper activations - CR doesn't have that slow down.

2) CR are better for activation control as they don't have to activate all together

3) Hamelin is Fast and the CR can keep up with him much easier as they have 6" move and don't have slow. They also have better movement potential within his 6" voracious rats area of effect.

4) CR give -2DF which adds even more punch to Hamelin's combat if needed.

5) CR block line of sight so you can shield stolen if needed

6) CR can make disengaging strikes so you can pin models down and (usually) force a cheat by your opponent to get away so you get a new card

7) CR are undead (iirc?) and therefore dont take morale tests - so no fleeing rats

8) Hamelin accompanied by canine remains looks cool :D

As for the Terror Tot...please please please please tell me that you're not using him to grow into a Mature turn 1...because you can't.

As you can't, its unlikely I'll be doing it isn't it ;)

No, activate it and attack a rat within the Rat Catchers area, kill it for the blood counter and you get the rat back - mature it into a young (which is usually as far as I go).

If you're playing a slow opponent you can then carry this on up the board by using "diving attack" - you get an attack on a rat which will give you a blood counter and you keep up with the game by moving 9" per turn. If there's no real action turn 1/2/3 you'll likely have (or be close to having) a Mature for 3ss. Uses cards, although a 3ss Mature is worth it imo.

Edited by magicpockets

Very interesting Magic. Many good points about the Canine Remains, the only concern I have is that if you let Hamelin go off with the CR's and let the Rat swarm do it's thing, then the Catcher will get focused, and the swarm will die. Granted your canines will replace them, but it slows you down. The only other issue is that while CR lower df, Rats lower wp, which, unless you plan on using Pipes all day, is more useful. I will however, try using CR's and see how they do (seeing as I have McM now and will need more dogs anyways lol).

I was hoping you'd say that about the Tots. They are much better bang for the buck as Young (not to mention they don't slow your whole crew down waiting for them to Mature). Flay is an insane trigger for them, and they are easy to make with the rats. If so many people didn't start Lilith in the past couple weeks (GOD WHY?!?!!! /cryinthecorner) then I would probably have some as well, haha. I would probably only take them as far as Young, but Matures are nasty. Keeping them as Young gives you a quick and effective way to get incredibly hard hitting models, in a generally boulder-rolling-down-hill type of damage crew, on the first turn.

Edited by Necromorph

the Catcher will get focused, and the swarm will die.

You just need to keep an eye on how your opponent will get at the RC swarm, play sensibly and you won't have an issue - especially if you keep Nix in the area as well. Also, remember you can sac stolen to get extra rats if needed.

The only other issue is that while CR lower df, Rats lower wp, which, unless you plan on using Pipes all day, is more useful.

Canine Remains have the same Rabies trigger for -2wp ;)

in a generally boulder-rolling-down-hill type of damage crew, on the first turn.

Best analogy for a Hamelin crew I've heard :D

BTW - updated few more CR ideas :)

Edited by magicpockets

Haha...totally forgot about Rabies on the Cr's. I usually blow them up turn 1 for either an extra Waif (Levi) or Body Part Counters (Mcm) and I rarely use them for combat (not really into the whole dog swarm thing with him though I know it's very good).

Yeah I guess it depends on how you're running your Rats/Catcher. Most opponents put the Catcher and Nix as target priority #1 and leaving them on their own is just asking for trouble (especially against ranged crews).

Although in general with Hamelin my strategy with him is "I don't Care." Oh, you killed my Catcher, I don't care, I made another. On Nix died, congrats, you can get straight flips to hit me again, I don't care. Oh you cheated a 13 for your resist, I'll draw a card, cheat high and burn stones, I don't care because you're insignificant. Hahaha...it's all so much fun.

Edited by Necromorph