Off Topic Playground

Mal, avoiding most of the tax helps, but getting things from Japan still isn't cheap, just cheaper than waiting for America and the UK to import them. When I used to collect Shonen Ace and Afternoon Monthly it would cost about £30 - 40 a month for both issues when getting the via USA importers. When I went direct to the publishers (I was doing some work with them at the time and managed to keep the arrangement after) the price dropped to about £20 - 30 a month. Still expensive, but slightly more manageable. Considering that those issues were about £3 in Japan to buy and were 3 - 5 times that when they reached me :P

Then again, each issue was the size of a rather fat phone book, lol!

These days I just collect the TPB for various anime I still read like Gunnm - Last Order, Aaa! Megami-sama, Rosario + Vampire, Highschool of the Dead, etc.

Speaking of Highschool of the Dead, the colour omnibous on Amazon.co.uk is about £30, on Amazon.com it's about $30 + $4 shipping to the UK, still much cheaper than getting it over here.

Right, definitely heading off this time, lol!

Mal, avoiding most of the tax helps, but getting things from Japan still isn't cheap, just cheaper than waiting for America and the UK to import them. When I used to collect Shonen Ace and Afternoon Monthly it would cost about £30 - 40 a month for both issues when getting the via USA importers. When I went direct to the publishers (I was doing some work with them at the time and managed to keep the arrangement after) the price dropped to about £20 - 30 a month. Still expensive, but slightly more manageable. Considering that those issues were about £3 in Japan to buy and were 3 - 5 times that when they reached me :P

Then again, each issue was the size of a rather fat phone book, lol!

These days I just collect the TPB for various anime I still read like Gunnm - Last Order, Aaa! Megami-sama, Rosario + Vampire, Highschool of the Dead, etc.

Speaking of Highschool of the Dead, the colour omnibous on Amazon.co.uk is about £30, on Amazon.com it's about $30 + $4 shipping to the UK, still much cheaper than getting it over here.

Right, definitely heading off this time, lol!

lol i know that feeling, i used to read a lot of full metal alchemist and gundam....yes im a boy geek!

im going to have a look at that highschool of the dead omnibus on amazon.com....i just dont know how they justify prices over here...it infuriates me and to top it off i want a zuzzy board but have to pay a hug amount...i need an american friend...

Mal: I find it.... Ironic..? That you miss GA... and you had a dream about getting mauled by bears... Because that's where our very own Bear, WEiRD sKeTCH, lives.

I get books from local used book stores, amazon, and Barnes and Nobel.

i didnt get mauled by the bear i escaped....it ate my pregnant wife :( and i ended up hunting bears on my own like a personal limbo i guess....

oh i really miss GA and america in general...

Just to add my two pence worth, I did consider investing in a kindle or similar but i really prefer the feel of a book in my hands. But as for where i get them, it depends... New books I will get from Amazon usually.

I am fussy when it comes to second hand books..i hate when the spines get creased or bent, i loathe when people turn a corner of the page over to mark their place..thats what a bookmark is for!

So i don't usually buy second hand unless it meets my high standards...at least if you buy a book from me you'll know its still in immaculate condition!

As for DVD's , CD's and computer games I'm the opposite..I simply refuse to pay full price for these..so always scout around for second hand copies..as long as they are in reasonable nick!

If I borrow a friend's book then I use a bookmark and take good care of it. If it's my own book then I turn over corners, read in a hot steamy bath and basically enjoy the book rather than taking pristine care of it. But even with that abuse mine are in good condition so I don't know what the people do to the books I see in second hand places. It's like the DVDs you get from Lovefilm that are so scratched that they barely play. I have DVDs over 10 years old that have no markings on them.

lol i know that feeling, i used to read a lot of full metal alchemist and gundam....yes im a boy geek!

im going to have a look at that highschool of the dead omnibus on amazon.com....i just dont know how they justify prices over here...it infuriates me and to top it off i want a zuzzy board but have to pay a hug amount...i need an american friend...

I already have up to volume 6 in Japanese (still trying to get volume 7, but not for the cost of it with the DVD attached) and the Japanese edition of the coloured omnibus, but I'd love to have it in English as well :D