Off Topic Playground

I have honestly never gotten all the way through LotR. The movies were superb, and moved things along quickly enough that the scope of it wasn't overwhelming. The books? Not so much...why Tolkien felt the need to spend ten pages talking about a forest they visit once and devote three paragraphs to a tree they never encounter, I don't know...but he did.

Don't get me wrong, I love what he did for the genre. But I didn't enjoy those books a bit. :P

I stopped reading Harry Potter half way through book 2, I got sick of reading "stretched their legs" so many damn times, plus after 200 pages there was about 30 or 40 pages of plot. I can't watch the films for the same reason, 2 hours of filler, 30 minutes of story.

Now, LotR I've read something like 20 times from start to finish. It shows how much literature has changed in such a short span of time, plus there's some great characterization in the people and richness to the world they inhabit. The first time i read the book though I did hate it, bt I was 12 years old and was forced to read it for high school English when I would've been much happier reading comics, lol.

Edited by LonelyPath

see... HP is brain candy... It doesn't do anything at all for me intellectually... I don't have to think about it because I already know what's going on... *Shrugs* sometimes you need Candy... sometimes you need steak. I will be the first to admit, I read some books for sheer enjoyment. I also reread my favorite books (I'm reading Ender's Game... AGAIN... talk about a chosen one who doesn't whine....0_0)

I stopped reading at book 5, honestly. Bit of rage at Black's death, he was the only character I liked at that point, and had gotten thoroughly fed up with the high school drama crap. I was in high school at the time dealing with all that crap...why would I want to read about it? (rolls eyes)

The Harry Potter books were like the Lord of the Rings ones. Not enjoyed but I had to see what the fuss was about. Painful going.

I loved the HArry Potter books as some light escapism...but definitely preferred the books as they progressed. Book 5 was teenage angst novel, the last 2 are much better!

Hey, Abs! You should work on some Absolution Black short stories sometime soon. ;) I believe you promised prequels?

oi! stop pressuring me! ;)

Fell, The Hobbit is okay, but not as good as LotR if you ask me ;) It is more to the point though.

As for brain candy, if I want then whilst reading I'll sit down with some Terry Pratchett (Snuff is out soon, YAY!), Richard Layman, Dean koontz, MaryJanice Davidson, Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison, etc. Fun books that I can read again and again.

I definitely agree some books are brain candy...but for me, when I'm looking for that kind of stuff, I tend to turn to war novels. Specifically Warhammer novels, lol. Black Library's stuff tends to be, for the most part, brainless. The plot serves as an excuse for getting absurdly high kill ratios. The exceptions to this are Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, and a few others here and there...

Also, Artemis Fowl. Cause boy those books are fun!

I definitely agree some books are brain candy...but for me, when I'm looking for that kind of stuff, I tend to turn to war novels. Specifically Warhammer novels, lol. Black Library's stuff tends to be, for the most part, brainless. The plot serves as an excuse for getting absurdly high kill ratios. The exceptions to this are Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, and a few others here and there...

Also, Artemis Fowl. Cause boy those books are fun!

See, I agree with the black library comment in the main, but will argue that Gaunts Ghosts and The Horus Heresy series are (in my opinion) really good reads...

See, I agree with the black library comment in the main, but will argue that Gaunts Ghosts and The Horus Heresy series are (in my opinion) really good reads...

Forgot about Gaunt's Ghosts somehow...I'm tired, can you tell? And the Horus Heresy...(sigh) it had such a strong start! And then Descent of Angels. A little bit longer with good stuff...and then there was that book with the Ultramarine and the Space Wolf. After that, I started being a lot pickier...and Black Library pretty much dropped off my list...

I also forgot about Commissar Cain somehow...

The book I'm reading when not trudging through WoT is my brother's R.A Salvatore book the Ghost King. Hardly brain candy but far from good. Another that I'm just reading as I've read so many others of the series. I long for a good book.

He's still writing Drizzt books? Bloody hell... he didn't seem to have a lot to write about when he wrote the Orc King. Or the Legacy series for that matter...or the one after that series. Basically, I loved the Hunter's Blade Trilogy, the original trilogy, and the Homeland trilogy. The rest of them? Pretty take it or leave it...

I really would recommend Sabriel once again, if you're looking for a good book. Or The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

What hurt the Horus heresy series the most was when GW turned around and said none of the BL books were canon and just fan boy fodder. Okay, they put it differently to that but Jersis' own words to me were "they felt the books were taking the 40k universe in a different direction to how we wanted to they decided it would be more like a alternative history of things". I decided that THEY were the inner council of GW itself, which Jervis was apart of being Design Team Leader!

What hurt the Horus heresy series the most was when GW turned around and said none of the BL books were canon and just fan boy fodder. Okay, they put it differently to that but Jersis' own words to me were "they felt the books were taking the 40k universe in a different direction to how we wanted to they decided it would be more like a alternative history of things". I decided that THEY were the inner council of GW itself, which Jervis was apart of being Design Team Leader!

...Mer? The Horus Heresy series is non-canon?

Alright, as a completely divergent topic...

One of the biggest issues I've ever had as a writer is a reason for the villain to be pursuing global domination. Yes, it's a boring and overused plot...but it's a good standby. But, to me, it needs a reason. Anyone got any good ideas along those lines?

I am taking the HH stuff as canon....its following the main plot quite closely anyway so why not?

The rest of the BL stuff, admittedly I take with a pinch of salt!

Alright, as a completely divergent topic...

One of the biggest issues I've ever had as a writer is a reason for the villain to be pursuing global domination. Yes, it's a boring and overused plot...but it's a good standby. But, to me, it needs a reason. Anyone got any good ideas along those lines?

I have a problem with someone wanting to take over a world...a country or region perhaps, but a world just seems a bit too OTT? I am trying to keep my protaganists in my GN plot fighting for their own little areas of power....

But as for reasons: Maybe they can't help it..an undiagnosed medical condition (hey it could happen), pushed into it, that sort of thing....

Its a hard thing to do without coming across all comic book cheesy!