Off Topic Playground

Oh, and how is the family stuff, Dirial?

Well, my grandmother-in-law (?) is still in the hospital but it looks like she'll live. Her older son, my wife's uncle, however, acts totally irresponsible and I fight my urge to punch him in the face.

Any interesting plans for the weekend?

Shadowrun tonight. My wife flies to Dallas on Sunday, and I'm in for Descent 2nd on Sunday.

Thats usually a problem with magic, and why you need to introduce clear limits to it. Otherwise it often becomes "Why didn't they use magic to solve problem X?" which will often become quite a bit jarring. 

Just as bad is villians forgetting their power at the end. Look, we previously established that your shields could block arrows. Why don't you have it up during your stupid speech? It's not like that did limit you before...

• Like 1

Sanderson's third law- the more important the magic is to solving the plot, the better it should be defined.

...or is that the second. Whatever. Granted, I've read plenty of stories that didn't do that which worked fine, but the biggest plot elements of crazy were antagonist driven magics. Night Angel trilogy comes to mind there.

Sanderson's third law- the more important the magic is to solving the plot, the better it should be defined.

...or is that the second. Whatever. Granted, I've read plenty of stories that didn't do that which worked fine, but the biggest plot elements of crazy were antagonist driven magics. Night Angel trilogy comes to mind there.

Night Angel Trilogy also had the big flaw of having a god-like as the final big bad, which usually requires a huge suspension of disbelief or some other plot device in order to work believable. (and then it might not be good) 

True, though the ending of that trilogy managed to be internally consistent enough that the big bad wasn't my problem. Those were other things, lol. It was a good story, but definitely had its share of flaws.

that just sounds funny, Crush, lol. Gonna try aiming for that, Dirial? Sounds like you could

I will admit I have never been a huge fan of magic in settings, unless the limits are pretty much set in stone and adhered to.  I much prefer the use of psychic powers and similar...but again, there needs to be limits to an individuals powers or levels otherwise it just becomes too over the top.

the use of magic in a poorly designed system or setting leads to convenient cop outs if not controlled properly. 

"dammit, the door out of here is blocked"

"stand back"  *waves hands.  Door flies off hinges*

"wow, I didn't know you had that power"

"why yes, and later on, I am sure I will discover I can move water or shoot flame from my fingers!"

the use of magic in a poorly designed system or setting leads to convenient cop outs if not controlled properly. 

"dammit, the door out of here is blocked"

"stand back"  *waves hands.  Door flies off hinges*

"wow, I didn't know you had that power"

"why yes, and later on, I am sure I will discover I can move water or shoot flame from my fingers!"

it's the sonic screwdriver all over again...

or R2-D2. "Plot device, I summon thee!"

Edited by edonil

I agree, it's why I don't read a lot of fantasy these days as it's basically:

Flangecopter is the Flibber. The Flibber is the special/chosen/last/only one able to flobble with their magical flobble-powers/gifts/whatever. The evil zargs/orcs/enemies/foreigners are attacking/invading/threatening and can only be defeated by Flangecopter and his/her flobble-powers/gifts.

You know Flangecopter will survive long enough to stop the zargs. Boring.  Flibber type characters always win/survive by virtue of being special/chosen/last/only one. They could dance naked around the enemy and they would still win.

For me, things are better in established rules and their inventiveness as characters. If Flangecopter is a mopey idiot I want him/her to die a gory death. Perhaps that's why GOT is popular?

Edited by Phototoxin

One great example I remember is "Magebane". The plot of that story was that a long time ago, mages were overrun by normal humans, and raised magical walls in order to keep them out. In the story, several people all plot in order to bring down these walls. One wants to bring them down so he can conquer the outside, a second wants to bring them down so the outsiders can conquer the mages (for revenge) and the third wants to bring down the walls because they are an incredible drain on the magical lodestone that fuels their magic, which means they will eventually lose their magical powers (which in turn means that the ruling mages will lose their advantage) they work together, but have not revealed their "true" plans. The protagonist is somebody who flew over the wall (so he comes from the outside) and the other is the titular Magebane (who would have guessed) Magic is used, but are interestingly not that crucial to finishing the plot. 

Both are good examples though why you shouldn't lit your cigar with a magical flame :P 

Yeah, because unspeakable horrors will come for you if you overdo it.

40k has nothing on Mage the Awakening.

I still feel like I need an engineering degree to play that game :P

Nah, once you get into it, it's pretty easy. Also, the 2nd Edition will clear a lot up. Also, I meant the setting, not the rules.

I know Dirial hates the settings etc, but that is why I like 40k so much (plus Heresy era) as a setting, as psychic powers whilst powerful are also limited.

I actually quite like the setting. The writing is really bad and the rules a shittiest shit, but the setting is nice. That's why I prefer the rpgs a lot.

I know Dirial hates the settings etc, but that is why I like 40k so much (plus Heresy era) as a setting, as psychic powers whilst powerful are also limited.

I actually quite like the setting. The writing is really bad and the rules a shittiest shit, but the setting is nice. That's why I prefer the rpgs a lot.

Yeah the setting is actually rich. The problem is they went from catering to sci-fi fans to writing ultrasmurf fanwank and various sphess mahrines murdering different victims.

Rules wise it's not even a game any more. It's an activity, but I hesitate to call it a game.

I like the RPGs a lot, there's a lot of potential to explore the setting which is impossible on the tabletop. I'd like a game of deathwatch done well. Unfortunately there's always one 'SPHESS MAHRINES ARRTAAAAKKKK' type player who needs to get killed / shunted out of an airlock. It's a mature setting and should be played by sensible people.

For heck's sake I tried the Burning Crusade one time - we had 3 clods and myself and the GM. I was the berzerker (we actually had 1 of each of the 4 gods which was interesting) but the stuff these guys pulled.The tzeentch guy: 'I attack the merchant' (in the middle of a trading port) - 'why?' BECAUSE IM EVIL *twirl moustache*. me : *faceplam* (peasants aren't worthy sacrifices to khorne).
Sorry for the rant, I've a migraine at work and going slowly more insane-er

Yeah, fandom infantility and writing catering to that certainly didn't do them any favors.

That's how I explained the novels to Benshin too. He loved the Ultramarines series. I was like, dude, any books about Space Marines are horrible fanboy stories. Told him to read the Horus Heresy series. He was instantly upset the tabletop game wasn't as good as those books, and generally hasn't touched GW since. Also told him to get into the Gaunt's Ghosts series and Gotrek & Felix (LOVE GOTREK & FELIX)... oh, and the Night Lords stuff. THAT'S how Chaos is supposed to be. 

Gaunts Ghosts are really good pieces of fiction..definitely not fanboy.

The Heresy novels , whilst sometimes hit and miss, are on the whole a lot better and more depressing than the 40k versions! I actually like the Ultramarines in the Heresy novels, so much so I am considering building a heresy era Ultramarine force based on the survivors of Calth...

• Like 1