Off Topic Playground

Yeah. That's one of those places that I do/don't want to go. I don't want to go because I can imagine it all too well from what people have said about it. I do want to go because it's frankly important.

I need to go to Auschwitz considering I lost a lot of family there. I can't do the travel back in time to kill Hitler thing unless I wanted to erase myself from existence. In my place would probably be a spoiled German Jewish rich boy and a redneck from rural Georgia (the state, not the country).

To be fair, that's how Texas views themselves in relation to the rest of the country. (Rolls eyes)

Hey look, it's something everyone in the rest of the United States can agree on! Texas is loaded with self-important jerkasses...plus there's delicious beef and Austin (which I demand we get if Texas actually seceded).

Abs, Reaper makes (made?) a metal medium, and I think Vallejo does too. A bit of that in the color of your choice would probably work.

I miss the Silk and Satin set that Ral Partha did when I was a lad. They used a finer metallic flake in those paints and they looked amazing.

Avatar Nicodem was a pain to assemble, and mine likely needs to be redone, but it's pretty cool when it's complete. I think Rasputina is the only other one I own. There were some misses, but most of the Avatars were good to great.

The paint and take mini I did at CMoN Expo got 17 likes on the Wrath of Kings Facebook group. Considering a really, really nice one got 76 likes (me included), that's not too shabby.

I'd like to see more of that sort of painting competition- painters get nothing but provided brushes, paints, and a mini and have to do their best with it. Painting techniques and supplies have come so far in the past 20 years that I'd like to see what really good painters can do with stuff that was available to me as a teenager.

I recommend using metallic paint as normal, then putting a color wash layer over it. Then very gently hit it with matte spray. It's what I did when I had PanO for Infinity. Nice original RoboCop blue steel effect. 

I thought Abs was going for satin fabric. That said, Washing over an actual metallic is great for enameled armor.

Speaking of enameling, this page on armor decoration techniques is pretty cool.

The campaign is a silly one though. It gives you zero incentive to actually deny any vp. Also you are usually too careful with your models. For example today I gained the full 16 scrip I can in a round and I gave 0 fucks about actually winning. First I just focused on the weekly event and killed the rider with Nekima. Next game I wanted to advance my bounty so I just ran in hit the rider again once on my way and killed ama no zako. :D we played reconnoiter were I had Nekima, Doppelganger, Mature Nephilim and Iggy. That was my crew. Iggy scored bodyguard points and all three stood in the deadzone beating down my opponents crew for shits and giggles waiting for the rider to arrive to give me scrip. :P

The campaign is a silly one though. It gives you zero incentive to actually deny any vp. Also you are usually too careful with your models. For example today I gained the full 16 scrip I can in a round and I gave 0 fucks about actually winning. First I just focused on the weekly event and killed the rider with Nekima. Next game I wanted to advance my bounty so I just ran in hit the rider again once on my way and killed ama no zako. :D we played reconnoiter were I had Nekima, Doppelganger, Mature Nephilim and Iggy. That was my crew. Iggy scored bodyguard points and all three stood in the deadzone beating down my opponents crew for shits and giggles waiting for the rider to arrive to give me scrip. :P

The campaign certainly isn't without some flaws, for sure. Still... Playing something of a narrative isn't bad either.

Question: Has anyone tried the special scenarios out of Crossroads? I'm referring to the ones that are mentioned in each of the faction's fluff section.  And if you have, what're your opinions of them?

Play the campaign they said, so much fun they said.

• Like 1