Off Topic Playground

I did an Ice Gamin versus a Death Marshal at 8", if I remember right. Ice Gamin always got first turn. Would show them a basic duel, then they would fight each other. I usually had two players by the time this happened, so they played against each other. It tended to work pretty well, if I recall.

Pretty nice. What do you usually do when you run a demo? Henchmen vs Henchmen games? 

Last time I did Lilith and 3 Tots vs Viks and 2 Ronin. No upgrades and fixed objectives (Turf War, Breakthrough & Assassinate). It keeps the reading to a minimum and keeps the games fairly short. I've also done 25ss Starter Box games for those who have a box to use so they can play with their own models to get a feel for them. I try not to use Henchman games as it's often the Masters who entice people in and so being able to use their favorite master tends to keep the new guys entertained. 

Drinks beer? Rolls some cheese down the hill and runs after it naked? Says something about outcasts / Viktorias and calls it done.

I'm not too sure how I'd get away with that one on my Pre/Post Event forms. Justin would probably think I'd been taking acid or smoking crack! :D

When I did demos at Gencon, I did one Minion vs another Minion to get the rules down, then if there was time I brought in a starter box minus the Totem.

That's not a bad idea. I've tried it in the past. I did 3 Rotten Belles vs. 3 Tots and the Cherub just to quickly teach the basic mechanics but it really doesn't give an accurate impression of the essence or Malifaux. I've had guys ask if we can play a normal game to teach them before. They took a Ten Thunders crew and I took Lady Justice as she is very simple for people to get their head around.

Really before a demo I'll ask the person what they want to get out of the game and try to tailor the game around the people who want to play/learn.

• Like 1

Cheers edonil. I have to keep that in mind. Why that pairing?

Honestly, it was because those were the models I could put my hands on at the demo tables, lol. It was the year M2e came out, and they only were using the plastic starter sets that people could buy at Gencon as demo Crews. I think I did one variation with a Terror Tot and another with a Torakage. It was mainly so I could show people how duels and action points worked, how to do the math on attacks, and so on. After that I usually chatted for about five to ten minutes about the differences between the demo and the full game, then it was on to the next group.

Honestly, it was because those were the models I could put my hands on at the demo tables, lol. It was the year M2e came out, and they only were using the plastic starter sets that people could buy at Gencon as demo Crews. I think I did one variation with a Terror Tot and another with a Torakage. It was mainly so I could show people how duels and action points worked, how to do the math on attacks, and so on. After that I usually chatted for about five to ten minutes about the differences between the demo and the full game, then it was on to the next group.

Sounds like a good idea. Minion vs. Minion to dip their toes in and a starter box / Henchman game to show them the game in more depth.