Off Topic Playground

They look awesome!! I cannot seem to get the hang of dry brushing for the life of me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong!

Planning my paint scheme for Mako's paint-along thread. I think I'm going to go with 'ice/snow' so I really should probably learn to dry brush.

Any idea for a pattern I can do on this chicks cape? Or on the panther? For the free hand work?

3401_zpsd7fc47d9.jpg

Or an animal hide of your choice (tiger, Zebra, leopard, etc)

Drybrush is sort of the work around of painting techniques. The better you are the less you seem to do it, so I do it a lot, lol. Biggest issue i find is moisture and too much paint. You want your brush bone dry and if you have an old pot of the colour you want that awesome. I actually left my pot of white open for a few hours before starting on those guys. Dip very cry brush in now very thick paint, clean brush on some random foam. Keep dabbing on foam until im 90% sure the brush has no paint left on it and i've borked it -> become surprised that if i keep rubbing brush on a model there WAS paint left and Im drybrushing very well

Oooh yes yes, didn't think of that. Or maybe some multicoloured maple leaves on her somewhere?

I don't want to get too ambitious hahah.

And thanks, Master Shine!! I didn't know the paint needed to be 'dry'. I still water it down and dip my brush in my water pot before trying to..er..rub the paint out of the brush...I don't even know what I've been doing actually hahaha,

Yeah, you dont have to dry out the pot like that, it'll wreck it for anything else (also wrecks your brush btw)

If its wet it'll just streak along the model and look like bum. But if you have virtually none on the brush the back and forth motion (you can wind up rubbing the damn brush pretty vigorously on the model, its what wrecks said brush) only catches the little bits of remaining paint on raised edges, getting that nice effect of highlighting them with the chosen colour instead of actually trying to paint them with skill :P

Caveat: I could be wrong on any of this. Its just what works for me and I like my results. Trust Mako more on any actual painting advice :P