Off Topic Playground

Attempting to hurt local businesses + "evil" tainted American crass consumerism, I suppose.

What's so weird is that a lot of the fast food sold in other countries seems like it'd be a little bit better than what is sold here, if for no other reason than the stricter laws on what is and is not acceptable to put into food. Supposedly, fast food outside of the US and Canada has far fewer preservatives and other artificial weirdness in it.

That's the story we've been told- I suspect it might not be the case in real life.

Did I mention I hate coffee? Starbucks is evil, and not in the fun way. Local places are almost always better.

I guess that is the case.

I do think the food laws are more strict here. Also, our Large is your Medium or Small size. 

• Like 1

I guess that is the case.

I do think the food laws are more strict here. Also, our Large is your Medium or Small size. 

That is half the reason we have the obesity problem we do. We eat like we're going to work 10-14 hours on the farm with hand tools and a horse or ox-drawn plow, but most of us spend the bulk of our workday sitting at a desk. Sometimes I think if CropFit were a real thing and not just the punchline of a Subway ad I'd give it a shot.

Attempting to hurt local businesses + "evil" tainted American crass consumerism, I suppose.

What's so weird is that a lot of the fast food sold in other countries seems like it'd be a little bit better than what is sold here, if for no other reason than the stricter laws on what is and is not acceptable to put into food. Supposedly, fast food outside of the US and Canada has far fewer preservatives and other artificial weirdness in it.

That's the story we've been told- I suspect it might not be the case in real life.

Did I mention I hate coffee? Starbucks is evil, and not in the fun way. Local places are almost always better.

Funny story about McDonald's in China... Years ago, my dad went back on a business trip there (I forget which city he was in, but it was one of the bigger ones.), and he found himself eating there half the time, and largely because of the way they prepared their food, versus how the restaurants did.  Growing up in the US, I never experienced this personally, but apparently lard is more popularly used there when cooking their food.  Didn't matter if it was meat or vegetables, they used it.  Eventually my dad couldn't stomach the food at the restaurants because of the lard, having been accustomed to eating in the US for over 10 years, by then.  And because McDonald's only uses vegetable oil for cooking their food, he was able to eat and process their food much better.  I don't know if things have changed since, but I gather they haven't.  This is probably the only instance I've heard someone favor a fast food chain over an actual restaurant.

And I'll admit, I'm a Starbucks junkie, but only for their regular coffee.  Used to drink lattes like crazy, but I've refined my taste for coffee considerably since I was in my 20's. There was a nice local coffee place by my old college area that I'd frequent from time to time, but I heard they closed down about 2 years ago.  They had great coffee... :(

Funny story about McDonald's in China... Years ago, my dad went back on a business trip there (I forget which city he was in, but it was one of the bigger ones.), and he found himself eating there half the time, and largely because of the way they prepared their food, versus how the restaurants did.  Growing up in the US, I never experienced this personally, but apparently lard is more popularly used there when cooking their food.  Didn't matter if it was meat or vegetables, they used it.  Eventually my dad couldn't stomach the food at the restaurants because of the lard, having been accustomed to eating in the US for over 10 years, by then.  And because McDonald's only uses vegetable oil for cooking their food, he was able to eat and process their food much better.  I don't know if things have changed since, but I gather they haven't.  This is probably the only instance I've heard someone favor a fast food chain over an actual restaurant.

And I'll admit, I'm a Starbucks junkie, but only for their regular coffee.  Used to drink lattes like crazy, but I've refined my taste for coffee considerably since I was in my 20's. There was a nice local coffee place by my old college area that I'd frequent from time to time, but I heard they closed down about 2 years ago.  They had great coffee... :(

See I'd much rather eat food cooked in Lard then the Cottonseed Oil that is everywhere nowdays

as an interesting fact, the Dutch McDonalds chain was forced to add kroketten (our gravy twinkies :P ) to their menu to compete.... 

I can testify to that fact and have to say Pineapple Milkshakes are also a great addition to the menu!! 

See I'd much rather eat food cooked in Lard then the Cottonseed Oil that is everywhere nowdays

It could've been a number things, to be honest.  As intelligent as he is, he's not very conscious of his eating habits when it comes to food preparation.  He avoids empty calories, which is fine, but he's reaching the point in his life where he needs to be EXTREMELY careful about his cholesterol level and blood pressure.

My guess is it was probably a combination of the lard and other additives they put in the food he couldn't stomach. Compared to Europe and the US, law enforcement in food regulations in China have been far more lax.  It wasn't until they found the melamine in their milk when they started cracking down harder on these violations, and I'm sure there's more corruption elsewhere.

Hey guys,

So I didn't win the tournament (womp womp), but I did have tons of fun, and I did learn a lot more about Misaki as an Outcast Master.  That said, I still have some tweaking to do with Leveticus, but I'm confident that I'll get the hang of him eventually.  In hindsight, I'd have done a lot better with the TT Faction, but as a "Beginner Outcast" player, I'm glad I went with them.

I'll have a Battle Report up sometime tonight. It won't be as detailed as the Henchmen Hardcore I played it, since the games were twice as big in soulstones, but it'll have all the important details and some pics to go with it.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends!