Off Topic Playground

1. I'd prefer hotels to staying with relatives too. And those are my OWN relatives. She's normal on that point. 

2. That's my problem too, hence the dating resume idea. I list all my character flaws, lack of dating experience, etc. If she can deal with seeing what I look like on paper, then fine. 

A little different when you're on a trip to see your SO's relatives though... My guess is that she probably has anxiety problems when faced with social situations? Probably due to the level of expectations (spoken or otherwise)?  I dated a girl who was like this too, and it did bother me, and due to my inability to cope with it properly, this also led to more problems between us.

It's hard... And I sympathize with people who have problems coping with anxiety. As for being the SO of a person with these types of problems, it all just boils down to how patient you are with them, and to what length you're willing to go to help them cope. Of course, KNOWING how to cope with them makes a big difference too. My ex and I were never able to find that middle ground, but from what I've heard, she lives a happier life now, as do I. At the very least, I can take what I learned from that experience, and grow from it.

• Like 1

I was going to launch into a long rant about the whole "Bitches be crazy" thing, but I think I'll skip it. The TLDR version is that I hate the phrase - it's a hyper-efficient way to simultaneously dehumanise women and trivialise their traumatic lived experiences by wrapping them in sneering gender-essentialism. It's a catchy, flippant phrase, but do consider the mentality you're reinforcing when you deploy it.

Most women are sensible, well-adjusted people despite the harassment, abuse and constant scrutiny they experience as the normalised background to their lives, not to mention the social systems and narratives which exist purely to coerce and frighten them into controlled patterns of behaviour.

"Bitches" is pretty much gender-neutral these days. I know dudes who are way, way bigger bitches than any woman (and before you ask, they are straight, in case you're looking for an excuse to accuse me of homophobia).

I actually have a clue about what women have to deal with just for their gender every single day (well, as much as I can considering I'm a dude, anyway). Please don't assume I'm one of those moronic MRA jackasses who pretends that what they do is about anything but them losing their gender privileges, OK?

• Like 2

Eh, whatever. Not the first time someone has talked down to me. I'm used to it. Between my appearance and my tendency to get lost in thought or be extra hazy if last night's sleep was anything but perfect, people assume I'm a bouncer stereotype, minus the Joisey, Noo Yawk, or redneck accent. Sometimes I get to surprise them- that's always fun.

One of my favorite wrestlers is Kane. I'm not nearly as big as he is, but we are both hosses that are really huge nerds (he's a big video game player and I saw a recent picture of him checking out the Dr. Who set while in the UK). I can relate to that.

I can't decide if I should go to the funeral of this guy who died at work.  He was a super nice awesome guy, and his wife sent me a card when I got cancer, and another card for easter.  I didn't know him super well, but I'm mega bummed he died.  He was funny.  He used to call up his wife and sing to her on the phone during his lunch breaks.  And write terrible batman fan fiction!  But I only know that part because I googled him.

I'm worried that since I didn't really know him or any of his family that its not appropriate.  I dunno.

In your opinion, is the increase in affected rate due to the circumstances of modern society, or just the fact more people are diagnosed with it?

I have a theory regarding things like that due to genetics and developmental circumstances. Keep in mind I don't "read" scientific or medical journals or publications :D

Both, I gather. More information and more complex lives means more things to worry about. Increased attention to such issues increases the rate of diagnosis.

I think most people, if not all people experience some sort of anxiety disorder in their lifetime. It's just a matter of 1) how you handle it and 2) how extreme each individual case may be. I liken it a lot to dealing with stress, even though there is a distinct difference between the two.

We all experience anxiety. Whether it's a disorder depends on the ability to deal with it already. Once one could classify it as a disorder, it's clear you cannot deal with it.

She has General Anxiety Disorder. It's not just "oh hey she gets nervous about stuff." It's "panic, red alert, we're gonna die" over a lot of stuff.

That's a tough one. Hard to treat. Not like arachnophobia where you can just hurl people into tubes full of spiders. Can't hurl people into everything.

Eh, whatever. Not the first time someone has talked down to me. I'm used to it. Between my appearance and my tendency to get lost in thought or be extra hazy if last night's sleep was anything but perfect, people assume I'm a bouncer stereotype, minus the Joisey, Noo Yawk, or redneck accent. Sometimes I get to surprise them- that's always fun.

One of my favorite wrestlers is Kane. I'm not nearly as big as he is, but we are both hosses that are really huge nerds (he's a big video game player and I saw a recent picture of him checking out the Dr. Who set while in the UK). I can relate to that.

Also, if it was me talking down to you, I didn't mean to do that!!

I can't decide if I should go to the funeral of this guy who died at work.  He was a super nice awesome guy, and his wife sent me a card when I got cancer, and another card for easter.  I didn't know him super well, but I'm mega bummed he died.  He was funny.  He used to call up his wife and sing to her on the phone during his lunch breaks.  And write terrible batman fan fiction!  But I only know that part because I googled him.

I'm worried that since I didn't really know him or any of his family that its not appropriate.  I dunno.

In your shoes, I'd go. Make of that what you will. ;)

• Like 1

I would go as well. You may not have known him well personally, but you did share some happy moments with him, and I think his family would appreciate knowing that he had a positive impact on your life, however small it may have been.

• Like 2