Off Topic Playground

Morning, PD.

I feel relationships are the epitome of the principle: It's not easy for anyone. People without one think that all that matters is to get one. People in relationships are miserable with the issues and compromises. I have this really good-looking friend who never had problems getting a girl. He wasn't single for even one year of his life (after getting 14 that is). Is he happy? Hell no.

Probably the easiest job ever. You sit in a climate controlled office, sign in samples, label them, and then key in data onto the server. In exchange for decent pay, medical and prescription insurance (including dental and vision), and a retirement investment plan with 2% matching.

And we still can't find people that grasp the concept of "don't act like a jackass at the office" to do it :D

I would take that up in a heartbeat if I knew how to relocate.. :D :D

I'm really sorry to hear it, z. This is still the one who lives with her ex, yes? What does she do that you find so damaging? I gather she's not just clingy.

Well the thing is she moved out already. But the ex-boyfriend never stayed behind. The guy is there all the time helping put lamps up, drapes, goes to pick up stuff for her, helped her in the move from which I only got a "I even couldn't ask for your help because my ex was there", picks her up from places, borrows his car for her, takes care of her dog. And about all this I only got "you won't / can't do any of it that's why he's helping" but the thing is I could.. I just never get asked. She needs something she immediately opts for her ex to be there and oh boy is he, that guy is like a greased lighting.

And when I told her last night that I'm not quite fine with this setup and I'm not getting into a triangle ffs I got called out for a lot of stuff her ex boyfriend does better and how she wouldn't even be alive without him..

So fuck that. Seriously I have no idea why he is the ex boyfriend after all I heard last night. Now I haven't even reached out for her anymore.

It seems to me like they just can't fucking let each other go. And that's not a setup I'm comfortable in.

• Like 3

Well the thing is she moved out already. But the ex-boyfriend never stayed behind. The guy is there all the time helping put lamps up, drapes, goes to pick up stuff for her, helped her in the move from which I only got a "I even couldn't ask for your help because my ex was there", picks her up from places, borrows his car for her, takes care of her dog. And about all this I only got "you won't / can't do any of it that's why he's helping" but the thing is I could.. I just never get asked. She needs something she immediately opts for her ex to be there and oh boy is he, that guy is like a greased lighting.

And when I told her last night that I'm not quite fine with this setup and I'm not getting into a triangle ffs I got called out for a lot of stuff her ex boyfriend does better and how she wouldn't even be alive without him..

So fuck that. Seriously I have no idea why he is the ex boyfriend after all I heard last night. Now I haven't even reached out for her anymore.

It seems to me like they just can't fucking let each other go. And that's not a setup I'm comfortable in.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of that. I had a similarly toxic ex gf at one point, and she was a pretty bad case of drama, to say the least. Not the exact same issues, but she always seemed to be out there looking for someone else to replace me. Longer story short, once her parents started voicing openly about how they didn't like she was in an interracial relationship, she started distancing herself a lot more emotionally, until we finally cut ties. Never lived together (thankfully), but it was probably the relationship that I had the most difficulty recovering from. Ironic, since I've also been through a divorce now too, but I chalk that up to how much I've learned about myself during and after my relationships. That, and having a kid also helps puts things into perspective. There aren't many things that help motivate you better than by saying "You've got a kid now. You don't have time to be emo about yourself. Move on from your problems with her, focus on your kid." 

Granted, in hindsight now, it's always important to reflect on the problems you face to gain insight and perspective, but in the beginning, it did work well for me as a motivator.  Kudos for fighting the good fight!

I would take that up in a heartbeat if I knew how to relocate.. :D :D

Well, you know... Since it seems you have or are about to start a new chapter in your life... A new adventure somewhere else wouldn't be all that bad of an idea. I know for a fact that there're some places for rent around CJ's neighborhood. I know Finland is a long ways away from here and I would really question anyone leaving Europe FOR the US too, but just in case you're interested... NY is a wonderful city, and I'm sure you'd love working there. :)

• Like 1

There is no real way you could get me back in New York... at least to live and work.

The first time I walked in times square I had to go into a deli and puke in their toilet.  I was waaaay too overwhelmed with that much going on around me.

Bleargh. That's a shitty situation. Even I cannot think of a way for you to handle that any better. Telling her "Call me when you're ready to be your own person" might just be the most reasonable thing to do.

Good luck, Z!

• Like 1

I was at one point being considered to work for the clandestine services branch of the CIA (turned down the job offer when they said I'd be posted in Georgia - and not the one in the southern U.S.). The entire time I wanted to ask the interviewers how realistic Archer is.