Off Topic Playground

Are you pleased with what you've written so far? Is your muse still going strong and you have ideas of where you will go from here?

So far, the writing has been good. I kind of... space off, and come back and a huge chunk is written. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not... right now I'm establishing a dialogue between the two main players, so I jump from her POV to his, and back. I inadvertantly made a secondary character into a TOTAL asshole... but it expalins later developments...

I love NaNo 'cause I just let go... and let the muse speak... I print it all out in December and then set it aside... I'll work on it in... March? I think March is Edit your Novel month...

So far, the writing has been good. I kind of... space off, and come back and a huge chunk is written. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not... right now I'm establishing a dialogue between the two main players, so I jump from her POV to his, and back. I inadvertantly made a secondary character into a TOTAL asshole... but it expalins later developments...

I love NaNo 'cause I just let go... and let the muse speak... I print it all out in December and then set it aside... I'll work on it in... March? I think March is Edit your Novel month...

Glad to hear you're still going strong! I made it to 3054 myself last night. Hoping to get in some more writing, but we'll see. I'm not sure if I could wait until March to start editing myself...I know the idea behind it, but it just strikes me as weird.

Holy frack...I don't know what hit me at the weekend but I couldn't raise my head out of bed for three days!

Managed to get up and about yesterday, and today I am back in work and feeling fine!

Stupid crazy illnesses....

I blame that Gremlin, coming in here with his scruffy demeanour and muddy boots...I mean, hanging around with pigs all day can't be good!

And Morning all to the rest of you...

*rushes to monoliths for coffee and cherry pie*

MMMMMMMMMMM....

grrr... I hate when teachers are SO obtuse...

I understand that Wikipedia is an unreliable source because anyone can add to it.

BUT: an ENCYCLOpedia is JUST as unreliable... due to age, usually.

As an educator, it makes sense to teach kids how to USE wikipeida to help them.

FOR INSTANCE: I have a student down here looking up one of America's founding fathers. She's lost on who/what/where to start looking up. So I asked her the teachers oppinion on wikipedia. He said not to use it. So I told her that she can't use it as a source, directly, but she can use it to help her find the right direction. The General information she was looking for (his wife and kids, occupation, etc) can be found on his wiki page. I told her that once she had the information, she should search for more information using google. This way she knows who she's looking for. It is no different than using an encyclopedia to find your feet on a reasearch path. You CANT QUOTE IT, you can't use it as a direct source. But you CAN use it to find where you're looking. But kids have to be TAUGHT how to do this... not just told they can't use it.

*shakes head, goes off to write some more*

Well, after correcting quite a few Wiki pages over the years I know how unreliable that site can be. It becomes even more annoying when people then "correct" it again back to the mistakes that'd first been in there, grr.

If you don't mind me asking, but how old was the student in question? When I was in school we were taught about encyclopedias and fact finding when we were quite young.

But yes, teachers are there to teach, support and encourage, not say "oh, you can't do that" and block them at every turn... I don't miss the teachers I had which were like that.

I work at a high school. and I know how wrong some of the information can be. That's why they should use it as a starting point. Not the end. It will give them <some> useful information about their topic which will help them when they start to search for different pieces of their paper. I'm not denying that some of it is crap. All I'm saying is that it's a useful place to get some ideas.

I work at a high school. and I know how wrong some of the information can be. That's why they should use it as a starting point. Not the end. It will give them <some> useful information about their topic which will help them when they start to search for different pieces of their paper. I'm not denying that some of it is crap. All I'm saying is that it's a useful place to get some ideas.

I couldn't agree more :)