Off Topic Playground

Dude...Path, that sounds like it'd be a blast to be a player in. You probably would manage to even kill a character I designed...which would be a first. I'm not a min/maxer or a power gamer, but I do believe firmly that characters should do what people in RL do- specialize. And, if you specialize in particular ways, and follow through with the character, characters get scary as far as combat goes...

I never tried to kill characters, but if they wanted to survive then they'd have to work for it.

Your group thinks they know about vampires? How about one that isn't effected by holy relics, perhaps one that can cross running water and a stake through the heart doesn't seem to immobilise it, now what do you do?

There's a werewolf that's attacks on the waxing quarter moon instead of the full moon? Hang on, there's now a lunar eclipse and the attacks start again out of sequence, what's going on?

You are outside a abandoned church that's rumoured to be the site of a necromantic cult at some point in the past, listening at the door, what's that scraping sound?

Okay, so this ghost went right through out without aging you, instead you fell unconscious for 2 weeks and now whenever you close your eyes you see horrifically violence visions that belong to someone else. How is this connected? (it may not be as obvious as you think).

Your group have been running away from a horde of slowly shambling zombies for hours now, how come every time you look back over your shoulder they are still only a short distance behind?

Walking across the snow field you stumble upon a group of people huddled around a roaring fire, yet they appear to have frozen to death. The weather has been relatively good and the size of the fire (as well as its proximity to the bodies) should have made freezing to death all but impossible.

My games were more about using your brain and investigative reasoning. I won't give away all of the answers to the mysteries listed above, but...

The Ghost inflicted visions of its victims upon it's next victim. The only way to stop it was to use a cold iron weapon that had been blessed by a relative of one or more of its victims.

The abandoned church wasn't filled with the walking dead, it was a loose window shutter scraping across the sill in the light breeze.

On the lunar eclipse it wasn't the same werewolf performing the attacks, in fact it wasn't even a werewolf but a Loup Garou.

etc ;)

As for roleplaying your character, when it came to Ravenloft it was much safer if you did so since it meant escaping the dreaded Fear, Horror and Madness checks (well, usually).

Edited by LonelyPath

I never tried to kill characters, but if they wanted to survive then they'd have to work for it.

Your group thinks they know about vampires? How about one that isn't effected by holy relics, perhaps one that can cross running water and a stake through the heart doesn't seem to immobilise it, now what do you do?

There's a werewolf that's attacks on the waxing quarter moon instead of the full moon? Hang on, there's now a lunar eclipse and the attacks start again out of sequence, what's going on?

You are outside a abandoned church that's rumoured to be the site of a necromantic cult at some point in the past, listening at the door, what's that scraping sound?

Okay, so this ghost went right through out without aging you, instead you fell unconscious for 2 weeks and now whenever you close your eyes you see horrifically violence visions that belong to someone else. How is this connected? (it may not be as obvious as you think).

Your group have been running away from a horde of slowly shambling zombies for hours now, how come every time you look back over your shoulder they are still only a short distance behind?

Walking across the snow field you stumble upon a group of people huddled around a roaring fire, yet they appear to have frozen to death. The weather has been relatively good and the size of the fire (as well as its proximity to the bodies) should have made freezing to death all but impossible.

My games were more about using your brain and investigative reasoning. I won't give away all of the answers to the mysteries listed above, but...

The Ghost inflicted visions of its victims upon it's next victim. The only way to stop it was to use a cold iron weapon that had been blessed by a relative of one or more of its victims.

The abandoned church wasn't filled with the walking dead, it was a loose window shudder scraping across the sill in the light breeze.

On the lunar eclipse it wasn't the same werewolf performing the attacks, in fact it wasn't even a werewolf but a Loup Garou.

etc ;)

...holy crap. Ever thought about running an email campaign? Cause I would so be a player. I'd probably get killed all the time early on for stupid crap, but that'd be a blast

I love rpg's! They were my first look into geekdom... If I weren't so busy all the time I'd look for one at the LGS...

but I've played with all the guys (and yes, I mean guys) here... they hate my characters.... because I always play really difficult characters... I played an 8 year old in Deadlands (Savage Worlds system)... who was Blessed... it was awesome... I played a companion in Serenity (Cortex system)... who had a secondary program (a la River) where she turned into a Melee Combat killer....

Alright, I need to get heading for bed...before I do, just curious if anyone would be interesting in checking out the first (short...like 3/4 page short) section of this project? I can post it up in the Writing Room, I'd be interested to see if people like how it's starting.