Off Topic Playground

#after eating the cheese cake Chocobo wakes up with no recollection of what happened for the past few days , he dosnt notice since everyone inthe thread is doing the exact somethings they where doing when he ate the cake , really the only difference is he has all sorts of nasty low class drawings on his face #

I read Ranma for about the first 20 or 21 volumes then got bored of it, it just got stagnant for me. Shame really as I find most of Takahashi's work walls into the same trap (Inu Yasha especially). Maison Ikkoku, One Pound Gospel and the Mermaid Saga are very good if you ever want to try something else of hers though. In factm, Mermaid Saga is one of my all time favourite mangas.

My all time favourite though has to be Aaa! Megami-sama (Ah! My Goddess). As well as that one I tend to read Rosario + Vampire, Highschool of the Dead and Gunnm: Last Order these days.

Edited by LonelyPath

I haven't read much manga, too expensive to get into. I've gotten into a few anime, mostly the mainstream mecha (Eureka 7, Gundam Wing, Big O), scifi (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star) and a few odds and ends (Vampire Hunter D, Blood+). There's a lot of really messed up stuff in anime, I have to say, so I tend to be fairly picky.

Bebop and Outlaw Star were excellent, loved them from start to finish, Vampire Hunter D is the same, brilliantly done, though more style over content (what can you say though? It looks beautiful!). Never really got into mecha, not my thing, though Burst Angel is one I did enjoy and I recommend Coyote Ragtime Show if you've not seen that, same with Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armour (the most recent one for a few years ago, not the 90s version) and My HiME. The reworkings of Evangelion (1.11 You are [NOT] Alone and 2.22 You Can [NOT] Advance are out so far with 3.33 Quickening soon in Japan and 4.44 Final in 2012/13) are much better than the originals and make far more sense. Then again, these weren't hampered by constant budget cuts and having to sacrifice many planned story lines to make it work. Also it should contain the full ending ths time, not the 6 episode arc that was crammed into End of Evangelion.

As for Blood+, I loved The Last Vampire and really enjoyed Blood+ for a while, but when every time you see the main villain and they're singing that same damn song, well it grated my nerves and put me off the show. I never did manage to stomach it enough to watch the final bunch (4 or 5) episodes. It really did annoy me that much.

If you want some really fun stuff try Pani Poni Dash and Azumanga Daioh, they are really crazy and very funny. Lucky Star is another and I swear I'm telling the truth when I say that half of the first episode has the main characters about how they eat certain pastries, lol.

Oh, and get all of the Ghost in the Shell anime if you've not got them. I recommend watching the 2 movies, then both tv series followed by Solid State Society. The movies are a different continuity, though if you put them in chronological order, the tv series (both seasons) and Solid State come first. it's just better to watch the movies first as they explain the world better, though in much briefer ways. Getting Black Magic M66 also helps as it's set during the war, as does reading the Black Magic manga (it's fairly short at less than 300 pages, lol).

But I must recommend Laputa (AKA - Castle in the Sky), Porco Rosso, Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot gen, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns and Summer Wars.

Edited by LonelyPath

Picking one or two things out of those response (thanks for the recommendations!)

The comedy animes tend to really just annoy the crap out of me...I've seen a few episodes of a couple of them, but they just bug me. The main one coming to mind is Excel Saga. I love a good story, it's why I hate a lot of television and video games in general. I'm in it for the story, and if the story is bad, I won't stick around. Which is why I loved Gundam Wing, Gundam 08th MS Team, and yet can't stand G Gundam. And a lot of the comedy things the plot just seems an excuse for chaos.

As far as the main villain for Blood+...I didn't mind the singing that much, but then, I watched it over a long period of time, not all at once.

And as far as Spirited Away is concerned...I watched it. Didn't like it at all :P. I always find it interesting that people bring that one up, I found Howl's Moving Castle to be much more entertaining and interesting myself...that or Nausicaa.

WOW! I really did ramble in that last post. Anyway, short new. Dead Island The Movie, expect it from Lionsgate now the rights have been officially signed over (it's been on the cards for a while now, since before the release trailer came out!).

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind is great if you get the full unedited version, if it's shorter than 3 hours 25 minutes I wouldn't really bother with it, lol. as for Excel Saga, the western copies of it are all cut and the cuts involve things vital to each episode, like the introductions. Like "this week the creator has decided that the episode will be aimed at fans of girls manga" so none of the men (except Pedro it seemed) got their faces no the camera, so to speak. That meant that the premise of the main joke in each episode was lost and much of it no longer made sense (not that it made much sense to begin with).

If you weren't fond of Spirited Away, try Princess Mononoke (AKA - Mononoke Hime in Japan), very different and more grown up. Gunbuster (the original from the 80s, not the more recent series from the 2000s) is also brilliant and one of the few mecha anime I truly love. I agree that Howl's Moving Castle was a good one though.

I never got on with Gundam (though I find it interesting that there are about 15 pieces of Gundam merchandise for every person in Japan!), to me it was to over complicated for its own good, something Gainax got very good at, take something simple and threadbare and make it more complicated than it needs to be. See This Ugly Yet Beautiful World for a perfect example of this. No real story, but they stretched it out to 13 episodes of tripe.

Shame they did the same thing to Bubblegum Crisis when they remade that too, as that remake got me very excited. I watched it all, but felt very disappointed with the final bunch of episode, it's went out with a whimper.

Still, at least it had a better ending that Urotsuki Doji, possibly the worst ending I've ever seen, lol.

Azumanga follows average schoolgirls and it does just that, it's them going through highschool and it worked very well. There are some repeated jokes throughout and some surreal moments, but it's based on reality, kind of. Lucky Star is more of the same, but the characters are more extreme in the archetypes they represent, same with K-On!.

If you also don't mind something a little slower paced, try Planetes, very good show, but you must be patient with it as its a drama more than anything else. Chrno Crusade (spelling is intentional, though it's Chrono and not Chrno in the west) is a good one, it seems silly at first but gets much darker as it goes on, Doomed Megalopolis is another great short series (100 minutes for all 4 episodes) though it's a bit dated now visually.

I just wish they'd hurry up and make the 3x3 Eyes tv series they've been promising for years... or the Akira remake that Otomo's been promising for about 15 years now that will include all of the story (watch the anime version of his manga Memories if you get the chance, a couple of the stories are great).

Oops, I rambled even more this time.

Well, bed is calling to me now, see ya again soon, I'm to tired to do a bedtime story for everyone tonight :P

Edited by LonelyPath