Off Topic Playground

But the bags are so worth it , especially if travel to cons ,

I also spend a lot of time painting the bag is truly worth it .

I own 3 of various sizes and I don't regret any of them , I was the same way til my award winning high elf army took a tumble down the subway stairs ( the strap broke ) I sold off the army cause I just couldn't bring myself to bring everything back up to the standard they where befor they fell

@Foe: hmm... I need a Lucius Crew... and the Totems for everyone but LJ (5 models)... and then I think I have at least one of every model.... NOPE! Peacekeeper.... some Guild Hounds (when they finally come out).. Thats it though...

The Bags are like $80 through Battle Foam.. *shrugs*

that's... $107.00 for me? Thats without Hounds (which aren't priced yet) and extra Guild Gaurd/Marshals/Stalkers...

Until the next book comes out ;D

It never ends! =D

Love my foam bags. Battlefoam is alright but I've had fights with the Company before and gotten screwed over by them in the past. Plus there stuff tends to be expensive for what it is, A&S I think it was... used to offer cheaper, better products till they went under. But hey, whatever keeps the models safe is what you need. I HIGHLY Recommend Pluck foam for all your model protecting needs.

Also off to a meeting possibly for the rest of the afternoon... we will see. If I don't catch you all till later you know why ;)

I like the Malifaux bag. Three trays:

Top = larger (1.5") slots, perfect for most of the height two models

middle = 1" slots (maybe?) great for Gremlins, Witchling Stalkers, Zoraida... the shorter, more hunched models

bottom = pluck foam - for those big baddies who don't fit anywhere else... EVER (Bad Juju, one of my Austringers, The Executioner)

@Foe: Boo on banged up minis :( Sorry to hear that man. After I paint models for someone, I hate seeing them frig them up--tossing them into an unprotected box, leaving them out where anyone can abuse them *shudders*

On a related note, do you guys know of good tutorials for painting Chrome with blues, Greys and Whites? I had an idea....

I return! Apparently I wasn't lost into a meeting as the people I was to meet with lots me >.> oh well... can't find them so just have to wait till they contact me lol.

@Fell: Sadly know. I don't do any chrome painting myself :/

The Mal bags aren't bad, I just have to many crews to hold in one of them >.> Plus I think Nekima will break that bag lol, she looks huge.

@Song: mmmm good song... *leans back and relaxes*

@Eric: Your painting is ridiculous sir.... just insane... lol. I need a robot version of you with those painting skills.

I never wrote any articles on it, but I believe there are some over on CMON, just search for that term (Sky Earth NMM or SENMM). But the concept is rather straightforward if you look closely at it.

The section you're painting is split into 2 halfs, a sky half, and an earth half, defined by the horizon line, as it would reflect on that part of the model (so sometimes its straight, sometimes curved). The sky half is brightest along the horizon line, getting darker as you move up away fromt he horizon. The Earth half is darkest right under the horizon line, lightening up as you move down away from it.

Oh! And another important part is adding the sun! Look at the model there, and see in the sky I added a pure white hot spot to show the location of the sun basically (or any light source). It really adds something to the illusion! :)

It definitely takes some practice, but it can produce a really nice effect. It's a great way to make something look shiny and reflective! :D

Edited by EricJ

I like the original malifaux load out only I would swap out the top tray that has the small slots .

The warmachine bag had a great tray that has slots perfect for the larger meduim size stuff . I get all my stuff into 2 trays , including my sons viki crew , and some shiw girls

Just don't get frustrated! it's not an easy technique, and I have LOADS of failures before I figured out how to get it to look right. Remember, you're painting an illusion of a reflective metal, so there is a ton to keep in mind. You need to think beyond the mini itself, what would be around it causing the reflections they way they are, be very comfortable with the source of light on the miniature, etc... Good luck, and I'm happy to give feedback if you need as you work on it. (you just need to be sure to get my attention...because I don't usually read this thread :D)

I never wrote any articles on it, but I believe there are some over on CMON, just search for that term (Sky Earth NMM or SENMM). But the concept is rather straightforward if you look closely at it.

The section you're painting is split into 2 halfs, a sky half, and an earth half, defined by the horizon line, as it would reflect on that part of the model (so sometimes its straight, sometimes curved). The sky half is brightest along the horizon line, getting darker as you move up away fromt he horizon. The Earth half is darkest right under the horizon line, lightening up as you move down away from it.

Oh! And another important part is adding the sun! Look at the model there, and see in the sky I added a pure white hot spot to show the location of the sun basically (or any light source). It really adds something to the illusion! :)

It definitely takes some practice, but it can produce a really nice effect. It's a great way to make something look shiny and reflective! :D

Wow... I think I will have to practice this... the effect is awesome.

@Fell: Cya later then!

Thanks, Eric. That is really fantastic. I'm totally ashamed of all my painting now ;)

Lol, don't be, it's really just a few simple tricks of perception taking to a rather extreme level. It indicates my obsession with the technique more than anything.