The Best "Ride" for C. Hoffman: Steamborg vs. Peacekeeper

Jonas Albrecht

Peacekeeper

Pros:

*Cheaper than the Steamborg.

*Armor 2.

*Can cast Menace.

*Has the ability to take an extra walk action.

*Its jaw can be used as a compartment for snacks.

Cons:

*Its radio only gets AM stations.

Steamborg Executioner

Pros:

*Paired Claws.

*Can produce soft cover whenev.

*Hoff's ability means Decapitate is twice as likely to go off.

*Has Melee Expert.

* C Hoff gets to ride around on a more buff version of himself.

Cons:

*More expensive than the PK

*The Steamborg's nipples? Always erect.

Both share Arachnid, Terrifying, and Flurry. Both are Df 4 and Wd 10, and have the same Wk/Cg.

I personally prefer the Peacekeeper mainly due to the Harpoon. I've had a lot of fun with that and well... it's a Harpoon! Plus Hoffman's little buddy can make it so it ignores that troublesome ability that can disable it when you flip low.

As can Hoff. Also, I totally missed the paired claws on the PK.

The Steamborg is definitely a nice model. The 7 Cb is really solid, and would be good in Hoffman's crew overall. Steam Cloud is always a nice option too. And, essentially, both models have the option for 3 actions with Relentless vs. Melee Expert.

So, overall, certainly a hard call. Probably has more to do with what abilities you think you will want to assimilate. Hoffman with Melee Expert would be pretty cool. But he could also just assimilate Flurry from the Peacekeeper for roughly the same thing.

However, I think the fact that the Peacekeeper starts out being 2 SS cheaper, has +1 armor compared to the Steamborg, AND has an optional ranged attack probably gives it the edge.

Also worth noting is the Peacekeeper has an additional Move action, which means you can push Hoffman across the field quicker.

Not sure I would assimlate Melee Expert of Flurry with Hoff since his CB is not great. If he is gonna attack in melee I would use the 1 ap to machine puppet himself.

Also worth noting is the Peacekeeper has an additional Move action, which means you can push Hoffman across the field quicker.

Not sure I would assimlate Melee Expert of Flurry with Hoff since his CB is not great. If he is gonna attack in melee I would use the 1 ap to machine puppet himself.

Yeah, Assimilate situational, but I think I'm going to end up using it for Immune to Influence and Terrifying when I'm in someone's melee range. Or I'm going to use it to pull Armor 2 off the Guardian and then make him give me +2 armor. And then maybe reactivate him for Shield Wall.

Me too. Now I got an excuse to get her as well.

I think I might try to talk Tuesday into modding Hoff on the horse now...

Also, I'm kind of assuming here, but I think most people play Hoffmans the same way. Ride around your big hitter, dragging a Guardian and a totem (I prefer the MT), going after either enemies or objectives, and have a Hunter stalk someone who your opponent is using for objective completion/flanking.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

You would gain nothing from assimilating the Power Cycle, just saying..

And yes, both the Peacekeeper and the Mechanical Rider are far better rides for Hoffman imo.

The Steamborg has three things to it:

- Steam Cloud, which is pretty nifty, (especially with the latest ruling on obscuring spell effects not being terrain).

- +1 Cb, +1 Raw damage and Melee Expert - hmm.. Hardly needed I think, but who says no?

- Argueably better triggers.

But the list of goodies on the Peacekeeper is just alot longer and it's cheaper.. So yeah.

How would power cycle not work? I don't believe it is a names ability.

Because Power Cycle in itself does nothing for you unless you have the ability during the start of the Activation Phase or you cast (0)Power Manipulation as your first action in an activation.

So there's really only a very few ways to make it work and it takes alot of effort:

In a Brawl together with Ramos who has taken the Brass Arachnid as his Totem.

TurnX:

Hoffman activates and Assimilates either Power Manipulation or Power Cycle.

Hoffman reactivates via Brass Arachnid and Assimilates Soulstone Miners (1)Tunneling and uses it.

TurnX+1:

Hoffman is placed back on the board.

Hoffman activates and Assimilates either Power Manipulation or Power Cycle (the one he doesn't already have).

Hoffman reactivates and uses Power Manipulation as his first action.

PROFIT!

You don't strictly have to use reactivation and can rely on Tunneling alone to preserve your assimilations, but then it'd take 4+ turns before you could get it.

(Note that I'm working under the assumption that 'Start of the Activation Phase' is prior to the 'Start Activation Phase', if it's not and you may resolve effects in any order then you could do it quicker by simply assimilating Tunneling turn one, assimilating Power Cycle turn two and activate the Power Cycle turn three as you unburies at the same time it activates.)

Eh yeah, bottomline is, it takes alot of effort..

Edited by Wodschow

You need either Colette or Ramos as a brawl partner to be able to take them.

Technically any Arcanist master can take Coryphee, but here's why Hoff can only partner with Ramos, and why Ramos has to be the primary master, making it an Arcanist crew...

1. It must be an Arcanist crew to hire Coryphee, which means you cannot have Hoff as your primary master (Guild crew)

2. Hoff can only hire Constructs anyway (so only Ramos can brawl in his Guild crew)

3. If it's an Arcanist crew, they need some means of hiring a Guild master. Only Ramos has a rule allowing this, and then only for Hoffman (as he is a Construct from another faction)

Technically any Arcanist master can take Coryphee, but here's why Hoff can only partner with Ramos, and why Ramos has to be the primary master, making it an Arcanist crew...

1. It must be an Arcanist crew to hire Coryphee, which means you cannot have Hoff as your primary master (Guild crew)

The rule says only may be taken by crews containing Arcanist masters, it's NOT only arcanist crews. So a guild crew with Hoff taking Ramos as a partner can take them.

2. Hoff can only hire Constructs anyway (so only Ramos can brawl in his Guild crew)

Cophyree are constructs, and Hoff has no such rule. He has a rule that allows him to hire Arcanist constructs in addition to Guild models as long as those constructs don't have smouldering or icy hearts. Cophyree are constructs and have neither so he can hire them, as long as their special rule is dealt with by having Ramos or Collette as a brawl Partner

3. If it's an Arcanist crew, they need some means of hiring a Guild master. Only Ramos has a rule allowing this, and then only for Hoffman (as he is a Construct from another faction)

This is wrong too... Ramos has no such ability to hire constructs from other factions.. Some construct in the Guild list have a rule that means that Arcanists can use them. Edited by Ratty