New to Malifaux and The Arcanists

Atdeath

Hello! I just learned Malifaux about a week ago and am still learning rules. I picked up The Arcanists (Marcus Starter, Fate Deck, Rules Manual, and Tape measure) I was wondering if you had suggestions for how I can have good synergy with this army. My g/f is kicking my butt with her Neverborn army that she picked up and it seems my list isn't too great. Here's the list I have so far:

Marcus

Razorspine Rattler

Sabertooth Cerberus

Myranda

Shikome

Jackalope Rabbit

Any tactics and list suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Efrain

Well Marcus is a bit of a tricky master to use. The thread Ageral linked has some good info to start with.

For you personally, I think your next purchase should be Silurid. The low Wp is a potential issue against the Neverborn (Wp related duels seem to be their thing), but it can be negated with Howl from Marcus and honestly, even without a Wp boost they're still fantastic. Just remember that they're hit & run minions. Avoid getting stuck into protracted combats with them and you should be fine.

After reading the Marcus posts, it seems that Marcus is the worse caster out of The Arcanists. If so, then who is the best Arcanist caster? What do you guys recommend? Lastly, I'm considering Ramos. What suggestions do you have on Ramos?

Thanks,

Efrain

If you wanna play a caster style master, then marcus is not a good master to play, Marcus is a "Jack-of-all Trades" master. In terms of playing casters Rasputina and Collette are the way to go. Ramos is more of a Support-style Summoning master with a nasty ranged attack spell.

Don't get anyone wrong on this, Marcus is a very good master in terms of overall play, his versatility is out-matched with regards to the other Arcanists with regards to what they can take. Generally Collette wants showgirls, Rasputina needs Frozen heart models, and Ramos wants to play with Constructs which are mostly in faction except for some of the new guild constructs. Marcus can take beasts from ANY faction without any extra cost, and when looking at that can be good. He is just not your a-typical caster master.

For Ramos he starts right out the box at close to 30 SS worth of models, Grabbing an Electrical Creation, either a Brass Arachnid or Mobile Toolbox (when its available) and more spiders is always a good start. Also looking into the new constructs from the guild/arcanists isn't a bad option as well. From what I've heard Corphyee are a nasty pair of Models that hurt as well.

Also, what master is your G/F playing? that could help us with pointers to help you combat her with.

Edited by MadArcanist

For one, I give her props on picking up Pandora, she is not an easy master to sit there and learn right off the bat. Also as a way to semi-counter her is utilizing Howl. Mostly cause if she is close and so are your beasts you get an instant advantage as it brings her Wp to 4 and all your beasts at a +3 (which is a nice swing), Also with the doppelganger you gotta play slightly more defensively since your generally gonna go second. Slurids are an amazing buy as someone said above me. Other then that your at a slight disadvantage due to the fact that Pandora is an annoying master anyways, The big thing is learn her mobility and use it to your advantage when approaching her, when you get close, howl and take everything you can to kill her, other then that the other models in her crew are nasty, but have weaknesses (Teddy and Kade are Melee only, and Kandy is mostly ranged support, Doppel is there for the Init and some of the other things it can take.) Also if you can pull it off with the stitched close I don't think she'd even try gambling since you'll be at an advantage with the -3 WP +3 Wp diff. Also Myranda, the Jackalope and Marcus can also heal your beasts so you'd be able to out heal her.

hope this helps

Ah the cycle of forums.

The girl friend in question is Barby007 unless their are two couples out there with similar armies and type color/font styles. Anyway welcome you both to the game.

I have limited experience but the forums generally mark Marcus as the toughest Arcanist Master to play effectively, that is not to say he is not worth persevering with and look at Rathnard and his post on discovering Marcus, that is a positive place to begin.

As to a second Master, I'd look at Rasputina as she has some minions which cross over with Marcus or even go outside Arcanist to another Master who tends to run beasts, this will give you maximum cross over and future utility with Marcus. Rasputina is also about as much of a blunt instrument Master as Arcanist seems to get, we don't really have a melee or ranged monster but 'Tina and her spells are pretty much point and slaughter, much simpler concept to play with and conquer.

Ramos is a support caster, make a mistake with him and he is dead and you need to maximise his minions effectively. Collette is powerful but her gang is built on speed and is not durable and she is not a killing caster herself, she increases her chorus lines durability and effectiveness.

If you really are stumped with Marcus and frustrated then yeah change. If you want a nice obvious easy to understand Arcanist Master take the Ice Bitch. Alternatively if you want the robo factory, Ramos or the ultimate hit and run caster Collette. In the other factions I have less knowledge but the Ortegas are reputed to be nicely themed with a simple, obvious and effective play style.

Good Luck and I'd PM Rathnard and/or MadArc and beg for a little more precise tutoring tell them (or all of us) what you are having problems with, how is Pandora carving you up, what sort of games and so forth. Have you played others? Maybe Miss Barby (assuming I guessed right) is just a Malifaux protege??

Edited by dancater

I give you two credit. Marcus and Pandora aren't two easy masters to pick the game up and learn with. I only started playing pandy after playing Sonnia for months and other caster/tricky masters to play. I've played marcus a couple times to no real success, but he just doesn't fit my playstyle. But in terms of a master he has amazing versitility mainly because he doesn't need his crew to be effective. The reason he's a hard master is mostly due to synergy with his crew. He can pretty much work with anything you throw together in terms of scheme/strat. Other then that he pretty much stands alone in terms of what he does

I agree with the Silurids suggestions. I've been wanting to run them for awhile, but have been shopping around for a good master for them. As they come with Zoraida, she's the default choice, but I'm not keen on her sit back and play with voodoo dolls while her army has all the fun. Besides, in my play group, another player already has dibs on running the Crone with Collodi as soon as he's released.

I already run Lilith as one of my Neverborn masters, and I could certainly use the Silurid swarm to take out the opposition before ever having Lilith step into the fray. I think I'll save her for Waldgeists to make more use out of her Illusionary Terrain generated forest. Currently, I tend to use her for the turn one Terror Tots to Mature Nephilim d-baggery that she's capable of (at least when Desperate Mercs and Nekima enter the picture).

But Marcus can probably make the best use of them. Call me crazy, but I'd run Marcus, Jackalope, Miranda, and as many Silurids as my soulstones allow. That way I can leapfrog these creatures of Dagon across the battlefield, mauling key targets, all as one activation, then watch my opponent try to scramble to use what's left of his or her force. Alternatively, using them to fulfill most, if not all, of the objectives of my strategy and schemes before my opponent has even activated more than once. Not that an Ortega or LaCroix alpha strike, or any such similar crew can't attempt to do the same, but I'd say Colette's Coryphees, with the help of Cassandra, come the closest in speed to actually pulling something like that off.

Also, I second MadArcanist on congratulating the two of you for starting with those crews. I'd say 'Dora is one of the more difficult masters from book one. Book two just got even more complex, at least as far as crew synergy.

My buddy's wife started with Kirai and is still having issues learning both her crew and the basics, as it is quite a daunting crew as far as sheer number of abilities per model and interactions among her own crew.

I've got quite a bit of crews now, especially after adding Levi, Ramos, and VonSchill this week, but I still default to the Viktorias when I want to Keep It Simple.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate everyone's help. After playing a few games, it just seems Marcus isn't my play style at all. I was going for The Guild initially but due to everyone being The Guild, I opted out. My g/f got Neverborn so I was between Arcanist, Outkasts, and Rez.

I have the Marcus box and Shakome built and primed black if anyone is interested in either buying it from me or trading. I'm thinking of getting Lady Justice box or Leveticus box + Alyce & Ryle. I appreciate all your advice.

Thanks,

Efrain

Edited by Atdeath