What's the hardest part of painting?

Hansel

Okay, since I made this thread I've tried to paint my first set of eyes (Samael), and thusly I'm amending my hardest thing. I mean, Holy shit, I have a Windsor-Newton Series 7 Sable Brush, and there's still no way I'm getting those pupils on. The terrible part is that I'm very happy with how the rest of the model looks.

Thankee for the tutorial, I'll have a look at that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote goes for hair. Eyes are matter of technique and steady hand, but as long as you know your limits, anyone can do it.

Getting a natural hair shade and shine, that is something I absolutely cannot do. I can have fiery hair or died hair anytime I want, but natural colours are out of my reach.

Right now the hardest part about painting is waiting for the day I can finally start painting again (i.e. afford all the new supplies I need). There's nothing in the world I would rather be doing than sitting at my desk, window open, music in the background with Seamus in one hand and a fine detail in the other. Right now all I got is time and bare metal.

But when it comes to actually painting, I'd say colour schemes are difficult, but more getting the right tones as opposed to simple colour scheme. I'm usually quite ambitious with my schemes and it can all fall apart if you take the wrong path. More specifically I don't like metal, at least from past experiences, but next time I paint I'm going to try non-metallic metal and say good bye to pixie dust. I'm also still learning how to convey better light casting on models, such as light from a torch or Pandora's Box which brings me right back to my first point on getting the tones right.

I've also never painted female models, and now I have 10 to look forward to. It's just as well that 8 of them are dead...

I can only hope I get to put paint to miniature before Eric does (no offence Eric, but the shackled prefer to keep company with the unshackled)

From an actual stand point however it's knowing when to STOP painting... If I don't force myself to stop I would continue painting tiny details here and there..

This is actually a good point, I have ruined many a model in the past by trying to put too much detail onto a figure. Sometimes subtlety is better, less is more!

Guess it would be procrastination for me too.

For those who struggle at the basecoat "ass point", why not just skip straight to highlighting on some sections before getting all the basecoats down. I tend to jump all over the place, basically painting the bit I feel like doing next. Maybe it will be some highlighting, maybe I'll go back and re-smooth out the some blends, glaze to a different hue, or basecoat a fresh bit.

That said, I do hit stages where a mini fails to inspire. Happens much less now than it used to though, back when I had a regimen of all basecoats -> all shading -> all highlights.

Actually finishing the figure/army. I can get the base coat and start detailing but I then fall down on the finish. I know how to do it but just never get around to it.

I'm trying to paint both a Colettte and a Friekorps crew right now and will probable have to have TheOneWhoFel finish them up for me. :o: