Just starting Gremlins! What to get?

brimmstorm

I've gotten the ok to pick up a decent amount of mini's from the wife so I'm placing a big order for a bunch of Malifaux stuff.

So my question is if you were just starting Gremlins what would you get. I'm curious as to how many of certain peices I'll need. Like how many Bayou Gremlins would I need? Warpigs? My funds after the intinal purchase will be limited so I'm looking to get a fair amount of stuff.

the lacroix's are nasty for sure and give you the option for someone else to lead the crew other than somer

i have a ridiculous amount of gremlins, probably about twice what i need.

after somer's and ophelia's boxset, i would get a hog whisperer, a blister of piglets, slop haulers, taxidermist and stuffed pigs. that will be tons of variety for almost all situations.

i have twice of all of that, and while that gives me the ability to go all pigs, or all gremlins, i find most of the time i do a little of each. 2 warpigs can be nice but thats almost half the crew for two models, and the times where they really have an advantage over just one are kind of sparse

so basically just get one of everything haha. if you really want every possibility you could ever have get two of everything, but that will be pretty expensive.

if you don't want to spend that much i would recommend both boxsets and a blister of slop haulers.

A good starting Gremlin Force recomendation would be along the lines of;

1) Somer Crew Box

2) Hog Whisperer Blister (X 2)

3) Piglet Blister

4) Bayou Gremlin Blister

5) Giant Mosquito Blister (X 4)

6) Slop Hualers Blister

7) Stuffed Piglets Blister (X 2)

8) Gremlin Taxedermist Blister

These are sort of listed in Order of Priority and will allow you to play Somer in all his awesome configurations, Pig Boomerang, Gremlin Gunline, Balanced lists, and of course the Alpha Stank.

I have never really found a time I needed more then 8 Bayou Gremlins (except when running Ophelia and the Gunline) though I know some on here have.

I'm a beginner myself and after playing a few games with the LaCroixs i felt like I really needed a Slop Hauler, for the heals. Adding one should give me more freedom to use Reckless and Dumb and Lucky without killing myself in the process.

My crew so far consists of the LaCroix starter box, 2 Slop Haulers, 1 Young LaCroix and a box of Bayou Gremlins, just to fill up the numbers where needed.

I'm a beginner myself and after playing a few games with the LaCroixs i felt like I really needed a Slop Hauler, for the heals. Adding one should give me more freedom to use Reckless and Dumb and Lucky without killing myself in the process.

My crew so far consists of the LaCroix starter box, 2 Slop Haulers, 1 Young LaCroix and a box of Bayou Gremlins, just to fill up the numbers where needed.

Slop Hualers are amazing with the LaCroixs and so are the young LaCroixs. I know there are those that like to run a lot of Bayou Gremlins for a gunline but I found I liked the Youngins better. The only reason to run a Bayou over a Youngin is they are not insignificant.

Also now that I got the Slop Hauler blister I am looking at running 2 of them in a 35 point game because they have been that good.

Ophelias box with 2 slop haulers is pretty good. I've only had one full game, and a half a game with them so far. Think it works out as 29 points, leaving her 2 ss for in game (in a 25 point game ofc).

If they're all near each other and she companions the slop haulers up too, then you can activate all of the kin and use reckless on all of them, then heal the wound you took back up. Makes for a pretty deadly gun line, me and the friend playing were amazed by how much damage they put out!

James.

I picked up the Ophelia box as an Alt from my Neverborn thinking this would be less frustrating for my opponents. Not only did I find out that it is one of the funest crews to play it is in no way less frustrating for my opponents, and maybe a little more in some ways, than my Neverborn. But their silly antics make them worth their weight in gold.

So my question is if you were just starting Gremlins what would you get. I'm curious as to how many of certain peices I'll need. Like how many Bayou Gremlins would I need? Warpigs? My funds after the intinal purchase will be limited so I'm looking to get a fair amount of stuff.

Yes as has been said the Lacroix's are another great Gremlin Option and if you go that route then a blister of Bayou Gremlins and Slop Haulers will cover you (its the cheapest Gremlin crew option at the moment).

However if you want pigs then the only option is Som'er, the little lady cant take them. Purchasing the full list I recommended will set you back approx $170.00 (depending on where you shop) however will allow Som'er to be played in all his current taactics configurations (and provide loads and loads of enjoyment). The Lacroix recs will put you back about $60.00 (if you already have the rules and want to use a normal card deck).

Edited by Omenbringer

Very true, they're great fun and very chaotic to play! We were really just surprised about the ammount of damage the lil guys put out though, I honestly thought they were going to be weak in the game, but I was proven wrong!

James.

That was my experience too. I walk into my first two games thinking I was going to have my butt handed to me and was shocked when I dropped Masters and hard targets with companioned Gremlins before they even had a chance to respond with Dumb Luck and Reckless.

You don't want to alpha strike every turn but when a juicy target presents itself I am left in awe at the little guys' ability to wreck destruction.

And even though they are easy to learn how to play their bag of tricks just never seems to end.

:guns:

Very true, they're great fun and very chaotic to play! We were really just surprised about the ammount of damage the lil guys put out though, I honestly thought they were going to be weak in the game, but I was proven wrong!

James.

That was my experience too. I walk into my first two games thinking I was going to have my butt handed to me and was shocked when I dropped Masters and hard targets with Dumb Luck and Reckless while companioned before they even had a chance to respond.

You don't want to alpha strike every turn but when a juicy target presents itself I am left in awe at the little guys' ability to wreck destruction.

And even though they are easy to learn how to play their bag of tricks just never seems to end.

:guns: