LaCroix Kin Tactics

Cornelious1424

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the LaCroix, when playing against Hamelin, should use their companion ability to target the RAT CATCHERS FIRST, then target the rats when they are not in the 6" verminous tide, or whatever rule that makes them come back.

Use the pere slingshot to force him right into a rat pack for explosive goodness, as it has been ruled that when something dies in an explosion THEY ALL DIE AT THE SAME TIME. So no more rats if you kill that catcher in the explosion... which is 5+4= 9 fething damage.

Our Alpha strike is better than the ortegas so we can really dish out a lot of damage early enough to take out the rat catchers to really damage the flow of Hamelin, at least how sandwich runs hamelin.

Have Rami do one of two things: First, use him to snipe nix early on, his range and Gremlin Sights can really be a pain in the ass for people trying to hide models.

Second, use him to kill pere when pere is about to take out an ENTIRE rat swarm with his Oopsie and Kaboom combo.

If you feel that you are getting swarmed, then remember Raphael has his hoo ee pulse that can help, but as I said earlier go for the Rat Catchers then prioritize Nix. This is Malifaux, we don't have to kill the master to win ;)

Don't forget about Like Herding Squirrels. The swarm comes hits once and you get to move away.

Slop Hauler also has Spin 'round Real Fast! which will kill the rats if the Rat Catcher has been killed and the Slophualer has been Family Tree'ed.

Give Francois rams, by Ophelia, and he can take 8 shots through hair trigger.

Leave the Taxidermist at home. There are not going to be many corpse counters in this game.

Those along with Frere's advice and Hamlin's crew will be severely thine out. Now if the Hamlin player does not move the rats more than 6" from him it is going to make your day quite a bit worse. So try to separate the Rat Catcher and his swarms from Hamlin some how or all your shooting is pointless.

Leave the Taxidermist at home. There are not going to be many corpse counters in this game.

Interesting. How useful would you say a Taxidermist really is? I'm mostly just theory gaming my Lacroix right now while I'm making/painting them (due to stock issues at my LGS I had to get my 2nd choice crew a couple of months before this one, so I know the rules pretty well).

I've been looking through the rules for the Taxidermist, and I see some nice crazy shenanigans, but nothing that actually makes me *need* him in my crew. Should I pick one up as a "depending what the opposing crew is" mini? Or am I not really missing anything by not taking him?

Also (while I'm already derailing the conversation), how many slop haulers would you guys take in a 35ss Lacroix crew? I think 1 should be ok, but would value a more experienced opinion.

Interesting. How useful would you say a Taxidermist really is? I'm mostly just theory gaming my Lacroix right now while I'm making/painting them (due to stock issues at my LGS I had to get my 2nd choice crew a couple of months before this one, so I know the rules pretty well).

I've been looking through the rules for the Taxidermist, and I see some nice crazy shenanigans, but nothing that actually makes me *need* him in my crew. Should I pick one up as a "depending what the opposing crew is" mini? Or am I not really missing anything by not taking him?

Also (while I'm already derailing the conversation), how many slop haulers would you guys take in a 35ss Lacroix crew? I think 1 should be ok, but would value a more experienced opinion.

Honestly I myself wouldn't run the Taxi boy with the LaCroix but I have heard some that have. He is much better when you can hire and make pigs with Som'er.

As for how many Slophualers in a 35 point game I always bring 2 to great effect. But I also find the Bayou Gremlins a bit lackluster and don't bring them.

I also bring the Young'uns, 2 in a 35 game. Their speed and ability to cast Dirty Shot and Right Between The Eyes rocks. One of the best totem in my opinion.

Yes, I've been looking forwards to using the Young Lacroix very much. There isn't much about this crew that doesn't excite me (both rules and minis).

So with no Bayou Gremlins, and only two Young Lacroix wouldn't you have a smaller model count? Or do you cram a Pigapult in there too? I can't see the value of saving too many SS for Ophelia.

BTW what do you guys use for Young Lacroix minis? They're my only real issue with this crew, as my group demands physrep minis, and I have nothing that looks like a baby-cowboy-gremlin.

I use the Bayou Gremlins for proxies. As for my list last night I ran this.

Ophelia

Francois 5

Pere 5

Rami 6

Raphael 6

2 Slophualers 8

3 Young'uns 6

36 soulstones with a 5 soulstone pool. (And Ophelia loves Soulstones)

I wouldn't call 10 models a low model count crew. And every single model has a potential to cause and create havoc. Good times.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer
Stupid auto correcting phone

Murphy hit the nail on the head for everything so far, good posts.

I like to run two slop haulers in a 35 point game, only use maybe one young lacroix. I find that I can do enough damage, and the fact that I cause enough wounds to my models that I need the extra hauler.

About the taxidermist, and the pigapult; it seems as though they are really out of place. One, because they do not sync well with the kin models. Two, Ophelia is not able to even hire hogs, so it is very short on the ammunition.

Also, the way the kin work, most of your corpse counters are going to be at a far range away, so the taxidermist needs to scuttle about to get them and be really out of position.

Hope that this helps XD

Well it's good to see that I'm on the right track about the Taxidermist at least. Yay for having one less model to buy! I never actually entertained the thought of the Pigapult (though I think it'd be an interesting looking miniature).

Just need to wait for my Slophaulers to arrive, and I'm all set to play my favourite crew :D

Thanks for your help guys.

Murphy, you said that you find that ophelia uses a lot of soulstones, I was curious on what did you use them on?

I found that just with the amount of shots she has plus he dumb luck trigger that she can really dish out enough damage.

I really only used SS for initiative flips, but it could just be that I got really lucky with flips from the deck, and good control cards in my hand

Also my opponent's tend to gun for her do to her threat and support she provides for her crew. So having some stones to burn on defensive flips and damage prevention is needed in my circle.

But yes, if someone gets their master too close it is always nice to have them eat lead on a 26+ flip. Making them burn all their Soulstones on defensive flips against Ophelia means they are not using them on those nasty spells that make my Kin cry. (Wp 4 is not going to resist any spell that has had a ss burned for the extra card not matter what the flip was.)

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Yeah, Im fortunate because as of now, no one really plays the WP factions at my shop. It's mostly Guild and Outcast players.

It is tough to play aggressive and not get Ophelia killed out there, most smarter players know to put effort into taking her out before she does them lolz. I find that when I use her for support she lasts longer, using her offense when there is a good spot for it.

I use her as support in the first few turns making my opponent feel threatened by everyone equally.

There is not a model in my crew that I have not heard them complain about when I activate them. It always; "I hate the Slophualer.", "That's it those Young'uns are going to die.", or "Rami must die this turn." As they move several high ss models into my kin's threat range.

Then when they are focusing on my support models I lay waste to them and their masters with Ophelia and Francois. That is the key to winning with the LaCroix.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

My Twin is right. All kin are major threat, but their threat are double edged sword except for that damn Ophelia. They can deal double damage at the cost of taking half. The slop haulers then heal them.

Easy to kill them after they do the double damage but usually they have already done their damage. Not to mention they are a very fast crew with the ability to become fast at the cost of one wound.

They are always a great fun to fight each time but you can lump me in with the "I hate the Slophauler." I usually am saying "What that little does how much damage?, and you have how many?"

Their alpha strike is far more threatening than the Ortegas mainly because the group hits harder and hits with more members.

What? I would never do the ss trade off math before triggering dumb luck.

It was just chance Pere took out 12 ss worth of models when I sacrificed him.(A game I played last week.)

Little do most know I consider all my models, aside from Ophelia, as sacrificial if I see a good trade coming my way. Dumb Luck Rami and leave him with 1 Wd and suddenly someone throws a 9 ss model or their master into my treat* range just to kill him. Worth it in my opinion.

(* It was just a misspelled word but I like this way better.)

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Entirely correct you did leave the part that if the 7-9 ss model does move for the kill then all you do is move him back to be healed.

By the way I think I will be able to make it these next 2 sats need some practice before I take the Tourney :P The law will be coming to town, but now I hear there are more guild players now there.

Entirely correct you did leave the part that if the 7-9 ss model does move for the kill then all you do is move him back to be healed.

By the way I think I will be able to make it these next 2 sats need some practice before I take the Tourney :P The law will be coming to town, but now I hear there are more guild players now there.

Wouldn't be proper Gremlin tactics if I didn't use those slophualers to their full potential, now would it? :D

Hope you do make it out, though if you play guild there will most likely be 4 of you. See ya Sat then.

So, a question to you LaCroix players out there.

I ask this because I've been thinking of getting Ophelia and I just played a game with Hamelin against the Ortega's and the same rules apply to the situation.

Do you still use Pere against crews with Obey/control type spells (Obedience for Hamelin, same thing)? I used Obedience on Papa, and hit him with Pipes after...thus killing him, Abuela, and putting Santiago at 1 wd. Pere is extra vulnerable to this because of Easily Influenced. I could see Zoraida, Pandora, etc doing the exact same thing.

If you would take him out for such games, what would you use instead? Would you take a Pigapult and shoot him at the enemy before they can control him?

Haven't had an issue with being obeyed yet.(still haven't played them against Z.) But with Ophelia's Ohhh a Girl it is easy to keep Pere out of harms way till you sling shot him out and shoot him in the back yourself. Since he is going to die anyways why not cause as much damage as possible before going down.

Bit yes you do have to watch where he is and count on him losing all Wp checks.

Hmm, yeah I guess if you could keep him out of the line of sight until necessary then they wouldn't have a chance to Obey him, but yeah, still a scary prospect having that lil pyro go off in the middle of your own crew lol.

I think I am going to get Ophelia this week. I'm really only getting her for 2 reasons. 1) To spite my friend who plays Ortegas, just to give him a taste of his own medicine, lol. 2) I want a more "gun-slinger-y" crew without going out of faction (Von Schill is fun as hell, but he's more of a tactical shooty, I want some fun, straightforward, get drunk and play kind of shooty, hahahahaha).

I'm excited, favorite model has to be Rami and his little piglet counter-weight. Should be playing against my friend who's gonna pick up Hoffman as his 2nd crew. So neither of us will have a f**king clue what we're doing with new crews and just beat the crap out of each other....should be a blast.

So I got to play a few games at my LGS before I went back to Uni on break.

Of all of the things I learned with the LaCroix gremlins is that if you companion Ophelia and Francois, and then give Francois the "Add a ram to his CB" then you can have Francois use his trigger that makes him take a wound to shoot again, and keep doing it until you kill the model that you want dead, and I can assure you that Francois will kill that model.

In conjunction with this, use Ophelia's other 0 spell to companion a slop hauler to heal Francois back to full (or at least heal him a little)

I might be mistaken, but I thought that if you make someone a companion, he has to activate right after the model that made him compaion. So if you're activating Ophelia and Francois, Ophelia gives ram to CB and companions the Slop Hauler, then the Sloppie goes next and can't heal Francois after the shooting spree.