Malifaux and Tarot

Ratty

I occasionally need a second deck for running intros, I could just use a traditional deck of cards, but Tarot looks far cooler.

So how would you match the suit, and what would you use for your jokers. I was thinking the Tower really has to be the Black Joker.

Pentacles / Coins - Rams, as they are linked to wealth

Wands / Staffs - Crows, as they are linked to suffering

Swords - Masks, as is has links to psychological issues

Leaving Cups - Tomes

Edited by Ratty

Traditionally, Swords are equivalent to spades, Wands are clubs, coins are (I think) diamonds, and cups are (I think) hearts. (I'm sure of the first 2, and fairly sure of the second 2.)

From there you can just do the regular conversion to Malifaux suits.

I like your idea of using the Tower for the black joker. (Bad=bad, whichever way it comes up.)

I'm not sure what would be best for the red joker, though. I'm tempted to suggest the World, but part of me wants to say the Fool.

I think for intros there is enough for a new player to concentrate on without having to worry about translating a different deck !

Even if you run the other deck yourself, its still helpful for the new player to see and understand your flips.

I have a standard Malifaux deck and I struggle slightly if my opponent uses the puppet deck, so I think a set of tarot cards would be too much for a noob. If nothing else, I wouldn't do it as it might distract from the most important thing, the game itself.

Traditionally, Swords are equivalent to spades, Wands are clubs, coins are (I think) diamonds, and cups are (I think) hearts. (I'm sure of the first 2, and fairly sure of the second 2.)

From there you can just do the regular conversion to Malifaux suits.

I like your idea of using the Tower for the black joker. (Bad=bad, whichever way it comes up.)

I'm not sure what would be best for the red joker, though. I'm tempted to suggest the World, but part of me wants to say the Fool.

Red Joker should be The Hanged Man. :D

I think for intros there is enough for a new player to concentrate on without having to worry about translating a different deck !

Even if you run the other deck yourself, its still helpful for the new player to see and understand your flips.

I have a standard Malifaux deck and I struggle slightly if my opponent uses the puppet deck, so I think a set of tarot cards would be too much for a noob. If nothing else, I wouldn't do it as it might distract from the most important thing, the game itself.

I think the idea is interesting, but a tiny bit difficult for new players. Like the above poster, I have difficulty understanding my opponent's flips with the puppet deck (especially as the symbols are occasionally partially covered). Some new players may enjoy it though. I would still consider keeping a normal deck handy for those having problems.

When I first heard about Malifaux on D6 Generation podcast, I kind of wished the designers used a Tarok deck instead of normal suit. It'd fit the creepy-oculty theme of the game somewhat more and the design possibilities go further too.

On that note, my first Lilith crew colors were based on Tarot de Marseilles (red, blue, gold-yellow).

As for the Red and Black Jokers I think Death is a shoe in for the black and fortune pretty much screams red joker.

Actually Death does not represent bad things happening so much as change or the end of one state of being before a new cycle begins. The Tower is a greater indicator of misfortune...And the wheel of fortune represents sudden changes in luck, both bad to good and good to bad where the World is generally an indicator of good fortune.

This. It might be cool for experienced players but for intros, no.

I have a standard Malifaux deck and I struggle slightly if my opponent uses the puppet deck...

Me too. I'm a little older and the eyesight ain't what it used to be. I love the material and quality of the Puppet deck but the suits and numbers are not very easy to read.

Wyrd, please make a Standard Fate Deck with the material from the Puppet decks!

Me too. I'm a little older and the eyesight ain't what it used to be. I love the material and quality of the Puppet deck but the suits and numbers are not very easy to read.

Wyrd, please make a Standard Fate Deck with the material from the Puppet decks!

But the Puppet Deck is easy to read.. if the picture's of a Master the Card is Good... if it's of a sorrow then it's not so good.

But the Puppet Deck is easy to read.. if the picture's of a Master the Card is Good... if it's of a sorrow then it's not so good.

Not to derail your thread Ratty, but I can't read the suits to save my life from across the table. The numbers I can make out but it's work.

Just give me good ol' white numbers on black background. High Contrast please!