Crew for Teddy

Steelwhip

So my 15 year old nephew wants to start playing Malifaux. Ive allready got him hooked on Flames of War so he understands minature gaming.

he has fallen in love with Teddy. And wants to run Teddy. Oh yeah and he thinks the Horseman is really cool as well but the price tag is a bit out of his reach right now. So I need to figure out what crew would work best with teddy. I know Pandora has some better synergy with him but I think Pandoras combos may be out of his leauge so Im thinking that maybe Lillith may be a bit more direct with run up and punch stuff

any ideas or thoughts?

Lilith works well as a beginner master, and works best with Nephilim but could probs work ok with teddy to start.

Individual models- Kade and the dreamer work the best (Dreamer removes limitation of rare 1 and makes them nightmares. I believe you can also bury them, kade can switch places with him so both worl well. You could try running Lilith with Kade and Teddy, although this probably isnt her strongest list type, otherwise run dreamer or a crew containing Kade.

Hope this helps, maybe others can suffest a better solution!!!

Well a list of crews that can run teddy,

Lilith

Pandora

Zoranda

Dreamer

Leveticus

Lilith, nice to start with very forgiving and not the worst master with teddy's they still do very well.

Pandora not the same mechanic to her crew as all the others would wanna stay away for a beginner.

Zoranda; can be boring when ur opponents master is killing everything in site and yours is been very subtle in there influence over the game.

Levi again not easy to master and could just die (not coming back) which isn't fun

Personally id try either:

The Dreamer, recently had a blast playing him, hes not simple to get right but he doesn't have the 0-1 on teddys so you can mass them and can drop them strate into combat

Or Lilith with teddy and baby Kade they work really well together as just a melee force would be nice and simple,

Pandora and Dreamer are the two Masters that synergise really well with Teddy. Unfortunately they're also two of the trickier Masters to learn with. :rolleyes:

That said, neither are impossible to learn with. I initially learnt the game with Pandora just fine (I do have 14yrs gaming experience & a PhD though), and I can't imagine Dreamer is all that much worse.

Teddy would probably be okay in a Lilith crew, but it's far from an ideal crew setup. It's not because Teddy isn't a Nephilim (playing with blood counters isn't that necessary for Lilith to work), but because he's immune to influence, meaning he can't be transpositioned (an important spell to master when you're learning Lilith). Purely from a gameplay point of view, your nephew is better off taking a Mature Nephilim with Lilith.

Generally then, if he loves Teddy I'd recommend you let him start with Pandora or the Dreamer - whichever he likes the look of better.

But if you really are concerned about him being overwhelmed with their rules then let him start with Lilith, being aware that he'll probably want to move onto one of the above masters once he's figured the game out.

Not that it's entirely relevant, but can't Ramos also take all Constructs from any faction? I'm not sure, but I thought he could.

Leviticus can take any construct from any faction, but Ramos can't. He's restricted to Arcanists and Mercs as per usual, plus the Guardian, Hunter and Watcher as per their specific rules.

That said, neither are impossible to learn with.

... (unless your name is "oozeboss") ...

... (in which case, Congratulations: you have a 53yo kid!)

I initially learnt the game with Pandora just fine (I do have 14yrs gaming experience & a PhD though) ...

(I have 34 years of gaming experience, 12 tournament wins, & a tertiary education

... only I got mine by going to 3 schools)

and I can't imagine Dreamer is all that much worse.

... (unless your name is oo ... oh forget it:

"easybeat" = aspiring to one day get as rough, tough & terrorising as dancing marshmellows ...)

:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell

Edited by oozeboss

Pandora and Dreamer are the two Masters that synergise really well with Teddy. Unfortunately they're also two of the trickier Masters to learn with. :rolleyes:

That said, neither are impossible to learn with. I initially learnt the game with Pandora just fine (I do have 14yrs gaming experience & a PhD though), and I can't imagine Dreamer is all that much worse.

Teddy would probably be okay in a Lilith crew, but it's far from an ideal crew setup. It's not because Teddy isn't a Nephilim (playing with blood counters isn't that necessary for Lilith to work), but because he's immune to influence, meaning he can't be transpositioned (an important spell to master when you're learning Lilith). Purely from a gameplay point of view, your nephew is better off taking a Mature Nephilim with Lilith.

Generally then, if he loves Teddy I'd recommend you let him start with Pandora or the Dreamer - whichever he likes the look of better.

But if you really are concerned about him being overwhelmed with their rules then let him start with Lilith, being aware that he'll probably want to move onto one of the above masters once he's figured the game out.

Pretty much everything Rathnard says except I don't have a PhD and started with Pandora ;D.

The Dreamer is not that bad of a master for him to start with as long as he avoids some of the crazy situations the Dreamer can invoke. If you start with the Dreamer, nail down the ways you can get around Shadowy Form for yourselves as you play as it seems to still be a topic in much discussion. Otherwise the Dreamer isn't that bad to learn and this way he can have more then 1 Teddy =)

Pandora is a very steep learning curve for a player brand new to Malifaux but I think he could handle it. He will need to spend some time with the book, but its hard to build a bad Pandora crew.

I say show him the Dreamer and Pandora and see who he likes the most. The Dreamer is all about positioning and surprise attacks while Pandora is all manipulation and focusing on Wp effects.

Look at the link in my profile, I constructed a few Tacticas that could help you and him learn Pandora, Dreamer, or Lilith. They go into extreme detail and should help break down everything for him.

Otherwise have him post and ask questions here, we wont bite.... much. =D

I appreciate the input and will do a bit more looking into things. Ill take the Dreamer under advisment as well. Knowing his play style-he is like most kids who start off gaming (hell I remember doing the same thing when I was his age) of getting the biggest coolest looking models and smashing down the field with them-perfect example is in Flames of War he will always take the Big Cat tanks even though they have really never done anything for him, so I know the subtilties of some of the game WILL be lost on him at least initally.

thanks all!!

I appreciate the input and will do a bit more looking into things. Ill take the Dreamer under advisment as well. Knowing his play style-he is like most kids who start off gaming (hell I remember doing the same thing when I was his age) of getting the biggest coolest looking models and smashing down the field with them-perfect example is in Flames of War he will always take the Big Cat tanks even though they have really never done anything for him, so I know the subtilties of some of the game WILL be lost on him at least initally.

Then you should definitely get him Lilith. She is a master that CAN crash down the field and still have a good chance of winning. There is plenty of stuff you can do to use her and have tactics at the same time, but honestly, you don't really need to. Running at the enemy is a perfectly good strategy for Lilith.

Basic Lilith box set, pack of young nephilim, Lilith's totem, and a Teddy. Bam, done. Have him field the Teddy, totem, and one mature neph and then fill out the points with terror tots. Easy to learn army right there.

As he gets better he can switch out the mature neph for the complicated Lilith dudes (shaman, nekima, lelu, lilitu, etc), but since you always need tots/young/mature in a Lilith crew for growing, its not like he will be wasting bucks on figs he will later never use.

Teddy bear swarm... teddy bear swarm. 3 or 4 little bears that can swarm together or apart. They would be like SPAs, but not as destructive and way harder to kill.

Then, you make them dolls so they work with Collidi, nightmares so they work with dreamer, and have them able to switch spots with a Kade, so they work with woes.

Perfect.