Beginner in need of advice concerning team building

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

after browsing these forums for quite a while now I finally decided to go with Neverborn as my starter faction of choice.

Well, looking through all available models, I noticed that Kade, Candy and Teddy seem to be somewhat in-line themewise meaning that all three represent either small childs or small childs cuddly pet. ;) This leads to the thinking if there is a chance to field them all in the same team.

Therefore some questions:

1. Because Candy and Kade are part of Pandoras boxed set I´m thinking about getting this set and a Teddy for starters. Is this a good idea? These will be my first ever models for Malifaux.

2. I noticed that Pandora seems to be kind of a hated model (by the opponents of course). Is Pandora unfun to play? Is she overpowered? Are people upset if they see Pandora on the field?

3. The other crew I´m pretty interested in is Lilith and her Nephilims. From what I read, Lilith is pretty straight forward in gameplay and therefore might be a better sterter for new gamers. What do you advice for starting purposes: Pandora or Lilith?

Thanks for your help!

HTG

2. I noticed that Pandora seems to be kind of a hated model (by the opponents of course). Is Pandora unfun to play? Is she overpowered? Are people upset if they see Pandora on the field?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Pandora can be fun to play for the first two turns, but once the entire opposing crew is falling back it can get boring very quickly.

Most people agree that she is somewhere on the list of top 3 masters even if they don't agree where she is on that list.

No one wants to play against Pandora. For the same reason she is boring to play, she is boring to play against. The fall back trigger makes her boring boring boring.

I can't wait for the avatar version. All my hopes for ever playing Pandora again rest on them making a viable version of her without that boring and overpowered trigger.

Think about it this way, would you want to play a game where the majority of you units activate, run double there move away from the enemy, then sit there unmoving the next turn? No. You wouldn't.

She adds a soulstone into a cast and can AoE an essentially unresistable fallback.

I have enjoyed the very little I've played with Zoraida and The Dreamer far more than any Pandora game. Sure, they aren't as powerful, but who wants to win every game with no challenge? It isn't fun. Give me a challenge please. I don't want to see that I've won before the first turn has even started just by looking at my opponent's master.

The problem is there are only certain ways to deal with pandi. You either

1. Avoid her entirely all game, which only a few Masters can do (Kirai, Dreamer or Collette)

2. Target the Sorrow she goes around with with tonnes of AOE damage, or detonate things next to her.

3. Take Jack Daw and hanged.

Seeing as 80% of my games seem to be against her I went with options 1 and 3 and I have a better than average win ratio against her, and to be honest Kirai and Jack Daw work well together against a lot of Masters so it was not a bad thing to be forced into trying him out. There is an option 4 though which I think I'm going to try next game against her. If it works I will post it here, but for now I will just refer to it as Operation Hedgehog.

oooh! and *cuddles* for choosing Neverborn. Welcome to my neck of the woods. :D

Want a lollypop??

You And your lollipops and cola cubes. ;P. You are one friendly neverborn player. Lol

But wait now that I think of it, that's how all neverborn act. They are nice to you until you are in their reach and, BAM!! Neverborns eating good tonight. Oh God I can see it now, Kade chewing on the entrails of his fallin victims, Candy sprinkling candy sprinkles on her dead foe to only consume its flesh. And Teddy, giant Teddy, grabbing small children by the handfuls and shoving their screaming bodies into his huge mouth only to smash every bone in their bodies with a loud 'CRUNCH!!!!'.

Oh the inhumanity, what have I gotten myself into. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

But wait, a silent voice, giggling in the background, wanting me to come play a game with him. His voice so surreal, and little. Hearing it makes you think of a small child playing with his toys giggling as he makes the fireman put out the pretend fire. BUT NO!!!!!! That is a real fire And real pain the little boy is inflicting with his legions of Teddies running around devouring all the helpless malifauxians. While he flies around with his dreams of nightmares killing everything in his path. But the boy is not alone, he is accompanied by the greatest of all creatures, "LORD CHOMPY BITS!!!!!" Bringer of the apocalypse, the ender of times, the Nytmare himeself.

So all in all, the dreamer and lord chompy bits rules.

WELCOME TO THE NEVERBORN!!!!!!! ;P

Some neverborn are that way, yes, but not all. Not all indeed. Some are your friend for longer. Your best friend. Your shadow. The breath on that back of your neck. The smell from an unseen censor. The wind that russles the trees. The filthy scarecrow that waits just outside of your vision. Watching as you do. Seeing what you see. Then popping in to visit just to remind you not to forget about them. These are they, as well.

Some neverborn are that way, yes, but not all. Not all indeed. Some are your friend for longer. Your best friend. Your shadow. The breath on that back of your neck. The smell from an unseen censor. The wind that russles the trees. The filthy scarecrow that waits just outside of your vision. Watching as you do. Seeing what you see. Then popping in to visit just to remind you not to forget about them. These are they, as well.

That's a good way of putting it as well.

Those r the neverborn I tread with.

That's a good way of putting it as well.

Those r the neverborn I tread with.

Ask the mother for her word. What she tells her babies. How she got her crown from her sister. Not for the warm, sweet exultance of crimson effluence, but for the art of holding it back. Of watching what the ugly monkeys do. The game is in how close you come to touching them without ever laying a hand upon them (or giggling aloud, for they all take this game far too seriously).

As an aside, I believe I have spent entirely too much time today around Hazel.

The core element, and indeed, the very appeal of the Neverborn is being party to the unleashed beast of the imagination.

This unfettered & unlimited creativity taunts traditional notions of reality before soaring once more in to the stratospheres of art, language, humour

and the Vision Splendid.

It is a matter of going boldly where no other Malifaux faction has gone before.

Nor where they can possibly ever go.

It has been encapsulated so adroitly on so many posts of this thread, and of so many other threads in this part of the site.

And it is significant that so many who have posted on this thread are writers for whom I eagerly peruse these pages with the desperation of an addict in withdrawal, in order to find my next dosage of inspiration.

:elefant: :elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Edited by oozeboss

...and another thread I was enjoying ruined when my eyes were stabbed by oozeboss and his font/color choice.

Please, please, please post in a normal font and color. Pretty please? I would prefer to read a post in all caps l33t speak than a post in that hideous color terrible font weird size centered crap.

@ooze: You can add me to that list aswell.

Pink, italics, centered, increased font size are all pretty annoying when skimming over the forum, and to be honest I haven't read any of your posts that weren't as short as this one.

I realize I'm pretty offtopic now, but since this thread was chat'ified around #10 and most posts thereafter are offtopic aswell I don't think it matters much.

Anyway

@Zwergen: I wouldn't call Pandora unfun. But she sure will be a challenge for you in the beginning untill you get her right, after that she'll be a challenge for your opponent.

If your playgroup is small or there already is a considerable amount of Pandora players, maybe you should go for something else as she really do alter the game quite a bit - and I suppose this might frustrate your opponents if they play her more often than not.

Lilith is great too though, I feel she has a fair bit of tricks to her aswell.

But really, as always.. Just pick the one you think you'll like the best!

It's the only way to go.