Feeling Frosty?

Stargazer

Well as winter has definitely arrived here in the UK I thought I'd share my budding 'Tina crew.

I've actually had these all based up for a while now and have been meaning to take photos/get painting but real life has kinda gotten in the way. However I now have a chance to really get going on them... so without further ado, the crazy cat lady herself ;)

CIMG2024.jpg

CIMG2023.jpg

Hoarcats:

CIMG2025.jpg

CIMG2026.jpg

CIMG2033.jpg

CIMG2034.jpg

December Acolyte:

CIMG2027.jpg

CIMG2028.jpg

Sabertooth:

CIMG2030.jpg

CIMG2029.jpg

Wendigo:

CIMG2032.jpg

CIMG2031.jpg

I decided to shamelessly copy McDoogle's idea for basing using the citadel woods, however I used more stone and I am planning on adding snow effects over the top hopefully giving a wintry forest feel.

Any thoughts on colour scheme? I was thinking maybe snow leopard or siberian tiger (cos they obviously haven't been done before! :hmmmm:) for the sabertooth, and then maybe mini tigers for the Hoarcats... still undecided on 'tina herself, the acolyte or the Wendigo although I might do him first just to get the feel of the crew.

Stargazer

Any thoughts on colour scheme? I was thinking maybe snow leopard or siberian tiger (cos they obviously haven't been done before! :hmmmm:) for the sabertooth, and then maybe mini tigers for the Hoarcats... still undecided on 'tina herself, the acolyte or the Wendigo although I might do him first just to get the feel of the crew.

Stargazer

Why not go against tradition. What about Warm Ice Colors... Like this?

2221347051_fddd81f4c3.jpg

Or maybe like this?

stock-photo-violet-ice-background-30443011.jpg

Well I've managed to finally get some painting in!! Here's my go at the Wendigo.I didn't realise how lovely this sculpt actually is until I had stuck a basecoat onto him there really are some lovely fine details on the him. I also tried to add in some purples to give a slightly different feel. Please leave any comments or questions and I apologise now for my photography skills *hangs head in shame

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Stargazer

Yeah I guess my rubbish lighting doesn't help, the model actually has quite a lot of purple in the base tones. I can see you're point about the claws as a stand out but I was going for a generally tied together model colour wise without too much going on.

So you think I should put more bright parts on as I need more light parts other than the skin tones? I'm just concerned about making it seem too busy and although I still want it to look good I feel the Wendigo should be darker as I see him as a kind of small Gremlin although any other thoughts or ideas are most welcome.

Edited by Stargazer

That Wendigo does look really nice. I have the same problem with pics and if it looks that good in the pic then it likely looks amazing in person.

You are right that Wendigo is a nice model.

To me the wendigo looks great the only thing I think might need color is the base itself. Maybe stalks of wintered grasses (brown and dead stuff) poking up near or through the snow in very select places?

Thanks guys for the feedback!

@Kanhead, the photos are actually darker than the model itself and the model is already painted lol so I'm gonna leave it for now including the claws... Once I've done more of the crew if I still feel the Wendigo is too dark I'll have a look at doing that.

@Mergoth, thanks bud and feel free to steal away however I wanna see the finished models :P (hint hint)

@Craaag, Again the base is lighter than it looks, albeit not exactly a desert but not a lava field either ;) I hadn't thought about adding dead grass... looks like I'm going to have to find an old paint brush or something because that is a good idea!

Well next up I think is a Hoarcat base so stay tuned!

When doing furry critters like the wendigo and hoarcats, and you're looking to switch up the colors or make them brighter, you can use varying shades of color. Take a look at wolves and what not - they are rarely one solid color all over, at the very least they are a lighter shade underneath but you will often see lighter legs and darker backs or 'socks' like on horses.

Faces also usually have quite a bit of variation like lighter around the muzzle with darker long hair around it or vice versa. Here is an example - if you ignore the spots and just look at the base colors you can see a darker muzzle fading to white on the chin and lower jaw - and also he is much lighter underneath.

th_100_1429.jpgth_100_1428.jpg

Also this guy, it's very subtle and lost a bit in the pic, but you can see that his crest and around the front shoulder is darker than the body and I put a lighter color around his eyes.

th_100_1678.jpg

Variations like this can often add quite a bit of life to a model. Hope this helps.

Edited by dgraz

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Dgraz will bear that in mind. Although it looks like you had the same idea for your Cerberus as I did! lol

Anyway due to being distracted by making a board with McDoogle (Thread to come) I've not done anywhere near as much painting as I had expected! Also due to changing up what I was planning on using in my crew I decided to paint 'Tina herself instead of the Hoarcats I promised. Sorry guys.

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

As always I apologise for the quality of the photos, please leave any comments and criticisms and I look forward to seeing your responses.

Thanks

Stargazer

please leave any comments and criticisms and I look forward to seeing your responses.

Thanks

Stargazer

I would try painting in the eyes- I hate doing it, and have only ever done it on a single model but think it makes sense. If "faces and bases make a model" then eyes (and a good skin tone obviously!) make the face. Its the only thing I hate about all of my old Marines- even my ork and grot grunts have painted eyes.....

The rest looks really good (although i have had an advantage seeing the models in daylight!!)

Also like the idea about dead folliage- like shes arrived somewhere and brough december/winter and instantly killed all of the vegetation- brown grass under the edges of snow could be very cool. If not grass how about dead moss/ferns?

Edited by McDoogle

Ok maybe I should paint the eyes... lol

@dgraz It's GW Hawk Turquoise shaded with a bit of black added just to tone it down (A really tiny bit as a little seems to go a long way with it!) then with GWW Badab Black painted in the recesses to shade and gradual additions of GW Skull White to make it lighter. In real life the highlighting is nowhere near as harsh as it appears though but my camera seemed to think otherwise...

Stargazer