Coppelius & Hoffman

Hjelmen

I was reading through Karns excellent tactica for the Dreamer, while I was looking through Rising Powers. Karn mentions that he has no idea why Coppelius has an Unexplained Connection with Hoffmann, when I suddenly remembered something.

Coppelius is the antagonist in an old german horror short story from 1816 about the Sandman. The old german Der Sandmann myth speaks of a monster that takes the eyes of children, which the protagonist Nathaniel ends up connecting with a lawyer called Coppelius, that seemingly always turns up when something horrible happens to Nathaniel. He ends up in a psychotic breakdown after seeing Coppelius in a crowd, and hurls himself off a building wailing "Pretty eyes! Pretty eyes!".

The story was written by the author E.T.A. Hoffmann! Does this explain the Unexplained Connection? To me it certainly does...

This might not be news to anyone, but I think that it speaks volumes about how some characters are researched by Wyrd and weaved into the narrative.

Coppelius is a nasty character in the old story, and Malifauxs Coppelius is definitely my favorite model and character!

So if you already knew, then this is just a shout-out to Wyrd from me about such a well-made setting and narrative, and if you didn't? Then wouldn't you agree with me that it is really cool?! :D

Edited by Hjelmen

... the difference being, of course, that our Coppelius prefers to have somebody else's eyeballs in the palm of his hand.

I adore everything about this miniature (I even love calimari), and - thankfully - mine is now winging his way to me as we squeak (his ETA is today).

Then we shall see some eyeballs bounce ...

Edited by oozeboss

I was reading through Karns excellent tactica for the Dreamer, while I was looking through Rising Powers. Karn mentions that he has no idea why Coppelius has an Unexplained Connection with Hoffmann, when I suddenly remembered something.

Coppelius is the antagonist in an old german horror short story from 1816 about the Sandman. The old german Der Sandmann myth speaks of a monster that takes the eyes of children, which the protagonist Nathaniel ends up connecting with a lawyer called Coppelius, that seemingly always turns up when something horrible happens to Nathaniel. He ends up in a psychotic breakdown after seeing Coppelius in a crowd, and hurls himself off a building wailing "Pretty eyes! Pretty eyes!".

The story was written by the author E.T.A. Hoffmann! Does this explain the Unexplained Connection? To me it certainly does...

This might not be news to anyone, but I think that it speaks volumes about how some characters are researched by Wyrd and weaved into the narrative.

Coppelius is a nasty character in the old story, and Malifauxs Coppelius is definitely my favorite model and character!

So if you already knew, then this is just a shout-out to Wyrd from me about such a well-made setting and narrative, and if you didn't? Then wouldn't you agree with me that it is really cool?! :D

*unwillingly curtseys* you, my friend are a legend. im gaping in awe at you right now.

*unwillingly curtseys* you, my friend are a legend. im gaping in awe at you right now.

Thank you kindly :) I've got a good memory for that kind of detail, and I have loved ye olde gothick horror for a very long time!

If only I could figure out how to apply that to my studies, I'd be much more productive...

Me, Silver Chocobo and like 10 other people were tearing that book apart to determine weather or not Lucius and Coppelius are the same person.

also we figured out that connection long ago >.> now the main topic of discussion is trying to prove that Copellius and Lucius are the same person.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16448

Edited by gunpowder saint

Good on ya for finding it too! :) It was news to me when I figured it out; rummaging through my old books for the old ETA Hoffmann book, so I thought I'd share.

I couldn't find the thread you're linking to at the time and I'm a newb, so I haven't been here to hear the writer "confirm" anything :) ... and the thread isn't even two months old; I'd hardly call that "ages ago" :P

Personally, I like the real explanation (if indeed this is the real one) better than "Lucius is Coppelius", but that's just me penchant for (references to) old horror stories showing.

It's a great story, the old one, and I find it great that Wyrd has found it and weaved it into Malifaux.

And I thought i wouldnt like him any more. Thanks for the info!!!! Def one of my fav minis, and am going to have to build a crew around him at some point...

Several odd connections there.Nathaniel=Nathan Caroland? Coppelius=Lucius' Lawyer Aid minion?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the really cool things about Coppelius is his spells and abilities are taken straight from the story.

Savor Delicasy, Remove Eye, Slumber, Crescent Moon all come from this passage

"He is a wicked man, who comes to children when they won't go to bed, and throws a handful of sand into their eyes, so that they start out bleeding from their heads. He puts their eyes in a bag and carries them to the crescent moon to feed his own children, who sit in the nest up there. They have crooked beaks like owls so that they can pick up the eyes of naughty human children.' "

Dying Dream here

"I woke as from the sleep of death."

Hallucinations here

"I am almost ashamed to confess that he disturbed my healthy and usually peaceful sleep with all sorts of horrible visions."