Gamers Lounge Podcast - Talking about Malifaux

nix

Gamers-Lounge-logo2.jpg

The Gamers Lounge podcast spends the M&SU Bar section on episode 18 discussing a number of topics including:

• Austringers - a must have for Guild Players
  • Growing experience with a Rasputina Crew
  • Progress on painting McMourning

Sure, its a shameless plug as I am a host but come on now... it can't be all bad. You can find us at:

iTunes Subscription

Direct podcast Subscription

Podcast Link

ShamelessPlug.jpg

To be fair, we talk about what we are playing. When we started out last February we were playing a lot of 40K, so that was the primary topic we covered. Currently we are playing a whole lot of Malifaux, although Jay (my cohost) will be attending War Store Weekend and just came back from Battle for Salvation (40K Tourney).

So, our primary focus is on topics surrounding sprotsmanship and composition and the general playing of mini-war-games. We do have a section (M&SU Bar) in every episode since ep 15 that is dedicated to Malifaux. We are also working on a number of interviews (looks toward Nathan and Eric :hmmmm:) for the show, although scheduling has been a challenge.

Its frustrating that iTunes has not updated to list Malifaux in our search categories....

Hmm, good discussion!

Something worth mentioning about Austringers though - they may get :+fate flips against Silurid, but they still need LoS to hit them because they have the "silent" ability. Of course if you can draw a bead on one, that's going to be a very messed up Silurid. Especially when those raptors are ignoring cover. :D

Also, I think Austringers are of very limited use against undead and other hard to wound models. Doing 1 damage per hit due to multiple :-fate flips makes it hard to justify their usefulness, IMO.

That's not to say Austringers are crap (quite the opposite). They're just not quite the 'well duh' unit that some people might assume. ;)

Thanks!

Great point regarding Slurids. No one in my local area plays Slurids, so my comments were directed more toward general Austringer vs Gremlin than Aus vs Slurid specifically. I did not realize the Silent rule Slurids had.

As for 1 damage due to :-fate, and multiple :-fate, I really find that even dropping 1 damage on stuff is good for the Austringer. As I mentioned, they are more about doing a little damage everywhere than a lot of damage any one place. I see them more focused to "softening up" stuff than actually doing the killing. Anything more than 1 damage and I feel like I have a good day.

I am happy you enjoyed the discussion. If there are things your interested in hearing during the M&SU segment or in the general podcast, let me know!

Bill

As for 1 damage due to :-fate, and multiple :-fate, I really find that even dropping 1 damage on stuff is good for the Austringer. As I mentioned, they are more about doing a little damage everywhere than a lot of damage any one place. I see them more focused to "softening up" stuff than actually doing the killing. Anything more than 1 damage and I feel like I have a good day.

Yeah, you said as much on the podcast, but I really don't think 1 damage per activation (if you're using the 18" strike) is that great compared to what the alternatives could do. Fransisco, a Death Marshall and a Guild Guard are all the same cost or cheaper, and they all have a better minimum damage (especially the Death Marshall/Fransisco). The Austringer might get extra hits in the first few turns, but other models will quickly catch up once those hard to wound models start closing in.

Ignoring cover with the Austringer is great though, and if you really want to get around hard to wound while using an Austringer (or any other model, for that matter) then making focus strikes would help.

I am happy you enjoyed the discussion. If there are things your interested in hearing during the M&SU segment or in the general podcast, let me know!

Hmm, well how about some talk on strategies and schemes, particularly on selecting your crew for your strategy, picking schemes to suit (or to challenge yourself!) and the value in announcing or not announcing your schemes?