is Perdita worth it?

RobertPaulson

I just recently got into Malifaux and have a reasonable selection of models to work on (mostly Res'ists). But even with out having played a single game yet (people near me are still working on their crews), I can see how broken 'Dita is. Tell the detractors to deal with it, or build a better crew; choice of Master is just as much a tactic as anything else.

She is indeed a BAMF, and a perfect Master for anyone to start with.

I really liked the variety she has. I know a lot of people might say all she does is shoot things...this is true but at my LGS we have two badass Perdita players and they're styles are so different from each other.

One guy uses about half of the Ortegas and another half Lady J's crew. He completely omits Santiago and takes an Exec and a Judge. He sits in the middle of the table and perforates your army. This works well for him.

On the other hand, we have another guy who uses all of them and relies heavily on Obey. This is why I like Perdita and on a wider spectrum, Malifaux.

Although, I could never get the grasp of playing her right. I started with the Ressers and I still can't get used to losing my army permanently =P

I am going to pick up the Gremlins though.

So my group is new to the game, with probobly a total of six games played across 9 people who are considering picking up the game. I've fielded perdita twice now and shes pretty much shat on the opposition. People are groaning when she is brought up and generally less than pleased with the idea of facing her. She is putting a bad taste in the mouths of players who've yet to even play a game.

I'm wondering if people's hatred of her is warranted, justified, common, or if these are simply noobs exagerating. Who is a more 'fair' caster if she is overpowered? (I've been looking at Levi)

So my group is new to the game, with probobly a total of six games played across 9 people who are considering picking up the game. I've fielded perdita twice now and shes pretty much shat on the opposition. People are groaning when she is brought up and generally less than pleased with the idea of facing her. She is putting a bad taste in the mouths of players who've yet to even play a game.

I'm wondering if people's hatred of her is warranted, justified, common, or if these are simply noobs exagerating. Who is a more 'fair' caster if she is overpowered? (I've been looking at Levi)

Perdita isn't really a caster. She has good spells (Obey) but that's not what her niche is. I have a person in my play group who will not verse the family (He will verse Perdita, if I agree not to use companion). Personally i find she's good but not unbeatable.

Only real problem with her is her crew is so easy to use that she is killer VS most new players. At the same time she is powerfull enough to be very solid at even high end play.

Very few masters offer what she can in that she has no down side. She is very powerfull in both hand to hand and at range on top of that she is immune to inf and an amazing Df. The fact she is good up close and at range is what makes her such a tough to beat master. In malifaux the counter to range is to get in the models face. She ignores that due to gunfighter.

Is she worth it for the player playing her? Yes if your learning the game or want to win more then just have a fun balanced game.

Is she worth it for the other guy? Only if you like a tough fight. Personaly I enjoy playing her because it makes me play my best.

As far as Levi goes. If you get good at him you will listen to crys of broken. When you first pick him up you will probably get crushed :)

I have been playing Perdita for a while now and I do not think that she the best by any means. She is good and relatively easy to use, however many masters will just destroy her hands down. To name a few: Nikodem, The Dreamer, Lilith

I've played against all these masters and lost, not that badly, but still lost

I still love to play her, she is a very fun and solid master, but not the best by any means.

No question she is stuff but no one points out that her soulstone cache is low and her family crew are mainly expensive and elite. Soulstones if used correctly can make all the difference in the game. This make her a weak choice for reconnoiter strategy games. Keep in mind this game is not built to be the beat a killing. It is a built more around out manouvering. Her true strength is in how easier she is to play.

No question she is stuff but no one points out that her soulstone cache is low and her family crew are mainly expensive and elite. Soulstones if used correctly can make all the difference in the game. This make her a weak choice for reconnoiter strategy games. Keep in mind this game is not built to be the beat a killing. It is a built more around out manouvering. Her true strength is in how easier she is to play.

I don't agree with your assessments. Two things:

1 - You don't have to play her with her Family.

2 - She is the fastest Guild Model there is (both with Fast and a Wk of 6), which makes her ideal for alot of Strategies and Schemes.