alternative basing for kirai ?

tony28

I went quite off piste with my kirai bases and went out and got a sheet of green mosaic glass. Turned it upside down - carefully - and then with green stuff stuffed bases pressed them into the glass.

I then roughly removed the bases and the result is green gem type bases that hang over the lip of the bases.

I think the result is suitably spooky.

I went quite off piste with my kirai bases and went out and got a sheet of green mosaic glass. Turned it upside down - carefully - and then with green stuff stuffed bases pressed them into the glass.

I then roughly removed the bases and the result is green gem type bases that hang over the lip of the bases.

I think the result is suitably spooky.

LOL

I got no Idea what you are talking about

can you provied a pic?

I'd like to see how it looks

LOL

I got no Idea what you are talking about

can you provied a pic?

I'd like to see how it looks

Well I don't have a digital camera but will try to post a pic in a week or so if I can rope a friend to come round with one.

Essentially it looks something like this but with sharp uneven edges overhanging the lip of the bases.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3290190/2/istockphoto_3290190-shinny-green-glass-mosaic-with-reflections.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-3290190-shinny-green-glass-mosaic-with-reflections.php&usg=__-r6RKcDX7DnrU40tQb2NGQngYmA=&h=253&w=380&sz=98&hl=en&start=90&sig2=6nsE3ReY_tGHx22MmePOyg&zoom=1&tbnid=oq-JxOv0BpbHCM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=136&ei=paGwTOLXMNS5jAfsvsl3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgreen%2Bmosaic%2Bglass%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4SNYK_en-GBGB306GB306%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D511%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=699&oei=faGwTIHsN9iX4gb4_cnMBg&esq=3&page=5&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:90&tx=44&ty=42

This is only for the spirits though, Kirai will be getting a more normal base when I get round to her.

Edit: all her spirits will be painted with nothing but varying shades of green

Edited by Chucklemonkey

I'm doing my Kirai Crew on rough splintery wooden boards (as though they are the inhabitants of a haunted house, or of an abandoned Japanese home from which the tatami mats have been removed):

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

It's difficult to get a sense of the floor texture from the unpainted photographs, but this will be enhanced once they're painted (wood grain, etc.).

Fenris Games 30mm Round DS Rough Timber Board Resin Bases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30mm-round-DS-rough-timber-board-resin-bases-/150395970915?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item23044c6563#ht_500wt_1156

They also have a large selection of other sizes and textures that I have used for my other various Malifaux crews. Reasonable pricing, fast shipping and excellent customer service.

I've just bases mine on the usual "planks and sand" which allmy Malifaux stuff's based on. Cut up somecofee stirrers (pilferedfrom your local starbucks, costa, nero or other hell-bent coffee shop) cut them up, stick 'em down and fill the gaps with sand. Looks pretty decent and is really easy.

ps: Sorry for spelling/grammer, I'm using my "back up" laptop which is made of stone andbronze and the keysaren't quite what they once were.

I'm thinking of trying a "Zen Garden" type of thing with my Kirai when I get her. I'll use the Vallejo coarse pumice (its an acrylic binder with crushed pumice stone) and "sculpt" in ridges and valleys. I'm not terribly sure how well it will work out scale wise, but I figure if it doesn't look right, it should be easy enough to just make it into a sandy garden.

I'm thinking of trying a "Zen Garden" type of thing with my Kirai when I get her. I'll use the Vallejo coarse pumice (its an acrylic binder with crushed pumice stone) and "sculpt" in ridges and valleys. I'm not terribly sure how well it will work out scale wise, but I figure if it doesn't look right, it should be easy enough to just make it into a sandy garden.

You might want to create the ridges with greenstuff or apoxysculpt before hand. That pumice paste tends to "smooth out" as it dries.

You might want to create the ridges with greenstuff or apoxysculpt before hand. That pumice paste tends to "smooth out" as it dries.

So I decided I was going to give these bases a go. Started with just the paste. I couldn't really see what I was doing, the stuff is just hard to see when its all globbed on the base. It also tends to move as a whole, not really "sculptable".

So I got out the green stuff. Let me tell you, green stuff is anything but zen inducing. It sticks to everything, except what you want it to stick to, even with generous amounts of water on the tools for lubrication.

The ripples I think may be too small to texture, and the "rocks" may be too big but I think the Seishin is going to fit around the tall one nicely.

zenbase1.jpg

zenbase2.jpg