Hooded Rider?? Huh?

ricottma

The Hooded Rider is on a 50mm base and is Ht 3 in the game, I think. It is a mysterious-looking figure with a giant sword riding a horse. His concept art is actually posted on the main page. So yes, I imagine that he will be a pretty big mini.

If Rising Powers is any indication, it looks like they are going with a Four Horsemen theme here, as the Arcanists and Resurectionists are getting their own versions in the Mechanical and Dead Riders. I'd be willing to bet that the Guild gets one in the next book to finish the cycle.

If Rising Powers is any indication, it looks like they are going with a Four Horsemen theme here, as the Arcanists and Resurectionists are getting their own versions in the Mechanical and Dead Riders. I'd be willing to bet that the Guild gets one in the next book to finish the cycle.

Probably another Ortega Cousin :hahaha:

But thee hooded rider really is a mini I'm looking forward to! In scale i'd guess him to be about the size of the warmachine riders, which are really massive miniatures!

I don't play neverborn but he will most definetely make it into my shelf ;)

He's even one of the worst models available to all of the Masters. Which seems to be an annoyingly common aspect for each of the riders.

Really? I honestly don't see this at all. I consider the riders to be some of the stronger models in the game and certainly extremely useful.

I'm assuming this is a metal model, since all of the other Wyrd models are metal. $30 is a really nice price for a very large metal model. I mean, look at the price of the LE LCB.

Also, Malifaux is still pretty cheap even with the occasional $30 model like this considering you need a lot less models than typical of other tabletop games.

Yup! He is going to be a big model, probably close in size and weight to a Warmachine Heavy Jack. Just be glad he's not going to be $50 like some PP and GW models.

To be fair, those GW models that are around 50 (or 60) are triple the size of the rider. Take a look at the Trygon or the Valkyrie if you don't believe me. Heck, even the new Demon Prince, which is about 35 bucks is much larger (and gives you a good number of extra bits).

Also, Malifaux is still pretty cheap even with the occasional $30 model like this considering you need a lot less models than typical of other tabletop games.

Sure it's cheaper in the overall scheme of things, but we're paying a premium for the limited number of models we get.

Malifaux models area bout triple as expensive as a GW model of the same size.

Take a look at someone like Rasputina or her Ice Golem or a Razorspine Rattler. All between 9 and 12.50, which a box of 20 space marines runs about 30. Heck, even the Gamin run 15 bucks for three, so 5 bucks a pop for TINY models, which are still more expensive than a Marine. Don't like marines as example? The new Dark Eldar warriors are 25 bucks for 10(so 2.50 a model).

I bought my 35ss Colette crew for 55 bucks, abouts (The boxed set, plus one Coryphee blister). In the GW world that'd net me 20 models, or 10 models and a transport.

Sure I'd need about four sets of troops+transport to make the beginnings of a decent army (remember 40k is supposed to be played at 1500), but the point still stands I'm spending an equivalent amount of money on eight models (from my Colette example) compared to 20 others.

That being said: I think talking about money in a miniature game is goofy as hell. We're all playing games like Malufaux and Warhammer because we have more money than sense, and this is defined by the sort of hobby we're in. By necessity non-essential things (very much like Malifaux and Warhammer, contrary to what I usually tell my fiancee..) are expensive.

Oh and let me say that Malifaux is an amazing game, and I actually like it a fair shake better than Warhammer BECAUSE I can focus on so few models (and make those look amazing), but don't believe that Malifaux is much cheaper at all. How many crews do you own again? :)

d

To be fair, those GW models that are around 50 (or 60) are triple the size of the rider. Take a look at the Trygon or the Valkyrie if you don't believe me. Heck, even the new Demon Prince, which is about 35 bucks is much larger (and gives you a good number of extra bits).

Sure it's cheaper in the overall scheme of things, but we're paying a premium for the limited number of models we get.

Malifaux models area bout triple as expensive as a GW model of the same size.

Take a look at someone like Rasputina or her Ice Golem or a Razorspine Rattler. All between 9 and 12.50, which a box of 20 space marines runs about 30. Heck, even the Gamin run 15 bucks for three, so 5 bucks a pop for TINY models, which are still more expensive than a Marine. Don't like marines as example? The new Dark Eldar warriors are 25 bucks for 10(so 2.50 a model).

You are paying a "premium" because they are metal models. Every single model in the Wyrd line is metal. That box of 20 space marines (or Dark Eldar Wariors) is cheap plastic. If Wyrd wanted to release large boxes of plastic models they could do that too. Malifaux isn't that type of game though, it's based around a few singular models, no units.

If you want to make a direct comparison... I see a single Space Marine commander on the GW site for $20. Almost double any Malifaux model. In fact, I can't find any single model metal blister under $15. And that's including plenty of regular sized models, not just big models.

Edit: Okay, at the very bottom of the list I found 3 metal GW models for $11.50. The few cheapest of the GW models are about the same price as the most expensive Wyrd models.

I want to know where they sell boxes of 20 space marines.

The technology is entirely different, the market is entirely different.

Comparing GWs mass prodution of plastics to another companies production of metals, or even worse indy companies resins, is impractical.

Malifaux models in general seem priced on amount of material, the bigger something is the more it costs thought there does seem to be some standardisation of 'human-sized' single figures at least in the Australian RRPs.

Edited by tenabrae

And we all have to remember GW is a company who in the past has admited to charging based on in game efficacy, if you want a winning army you pay out the butt, also no valid comparison to cheap plastic GW and metal here cannot be rightfully made. If you are going to argue a space marine being 2.50, i would love to see you play a game with ten space marines.

You are paying a "premium" because they are metal models. Every single model in the Wyrd line is metal. That box of 20 space marines (or Dark Eldar Wariors) is cheap plastic. If Wyrd wanted to release large boxes of plastic models they could do that too. Malifaux isn't that type of game though, it's based around a few singular models, no units.

If you want to make a direct comparison... I see a single Space Marine commander on the GW site for $20. Almost double any Malifaux model. In fact, I can't find any single model metal blister under $15. And that's including plenty of regular sized models, not just big models.

Edit: Okay, at the very bottom of the list I found 3 metal GW models for $11.50. The few cheapest of the GW models are about the same price as the most expensive Wyrd models.

Plastic is superior to metal in almost all regards. So I'm not sure the whole "but those are plastic!" holds any water.

Think metal has more detail? Pick up the new Blood Angels (who, are, in fact in a box of 5 for 35ish dollars, still cheaper than Malifaux figs).

Plastic is easier to convert, better to paint, and doesn't chip like metal.

I love me some Wyrd miniatures, but trying to do monetary comparisons is ridiculous.

d

Plastic is superior to metal in almost all regards. So I'm not sure the whole "but those are plastic!" holds any water.

Think metal has more detail? Pick up the new Blood Angels (who, are, in fact in a box of 5 for 35ish dollars, still cheaper than Malifaux figs).

Plastic is easier to convert, better to paint, and doesn't chip like metal.

I love me some Wyrd miniatures, but trying to do monetary comparisons is ridiculous.

d

I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to manufacture with plastic than it is with metal. That's where the pricing comes in.

Personally, I prefer metal models just because I like my models to have some weight to them. I'm always surprised when picking up a plastic model because I expect it to be heavier.

I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to manufacture with plastic than it is with metal. That's where the pricing comes in.

Plastic molds are more expensive then the molds for metal minis. That's why you see most companies starting out with metal then switching to plastic when they grow.

Or so the internet says. :abduct:

I think everyone agrees.

If you dont like a model, be it rules, sculpt (looking at you lelu), or the price of a model, don't buy it.

Trying to compare the cost of metal versus plastic and the qualities inherent with each is a ridiculous waste of time. GW charges what they want to charge, PP charges what they want to charge, and Wyrd charges what they want to charge. I think all three companies are currently in the perfectly reasonable realm. (GW use to be insane, right around the grey knights time, but they have really rebounded into sanity)

(GW...have really rebounded into sanity)

What? I'm not going to start on a price rant but GW charging £25 for 10 plastic infatry models for Warhammer is insane especially when 10 won't even make a decent unit.

Anyway, back OT I will probably end up buying the Hooded Rider. Think I may use a Rackham Drune Raider for a Death Rider though.

D.