Game Board Setup--What's yours?

alemon

So this came up when we decided we need some actual terrain instead of books and boxes. You can post your boards up here, and take a look at others. We'll have a picture up of ours tonight, after a game or two.

What to do? Play a game of malifaux, then take a photo of your table (with or without models). Those of you with modules are welcome, but what I had in mind are those of us who use lots of small terrain features to make a board.

Also, what do you guys use for terrain?

I haven't yet put together a cohesive board or playing surface, I have been collecting the odd piece of terrain here and there. I want to eventually put together a mountain mining town/camp and a badlands landscape with ruined train track, locomotive, and sidings.

I'll try and take some pictures soon of my different terrain features.

Very cool!!

We're very lucky here in Cincinnati to have our local LGS that has a LOT of terrain already. And then we're offering incentives as part of our League for people to build new specifically Malifaux-themed terrain and bring it into the store. So we've got lots to play with. I don't have many pictures (yet), but here's at least one look at the 'Downtown' that we had set up last week.

th_malifuaxterrain08.jpg

th_malifuaxterrain07.jpg

Click pictures for bigger images.

The mat with the light red edge is actually 3x3 in the dark red area. One of our guys took some large pieces of felt, and dropped a 3x3 piece of plywood in the middle. Then he just used some white/gray spray paint around the edges. Creates a perfect square area so we don't have to measure every time. :)

Very cool!!

We're very lucky here in Cincinnati to have our local LGS that has a LOT of terrain already. And then we're offering incentives as part of our League for people to build new specifically Malifaux-themed terrain and bring it into the store. So we've got lots to play with. . :)

It doesn't hurt that some of our players are SUPER talented at making game terrain and the store owner(s) are players too who heavily invest in terrain for their games

Oooh, I like the well!! That's an easy idea to implement too. May have to steal that one, as we don't have a well in our lot of terrain at the LGS. :)

The well is a ForgeWorld piece I picked up at a Gamesday many years ago. Malifaux lit a fire under my ass to get it done. I also have a FW cottage thats cut out of the picture. Really looking forward to them making more fantasy terrain.

No pictures yet of my wanna-be setup, but I can attest to jmp_mydog's skill and artistry. He has painted two crews for me and they ROCK! I have an order in right now for some of his terrain pieces, and will be making a blank table similar to his, since I don't have the space or time to store multiple table tops.

My hat is off to everyone who displays such talent! This is just another facet to a great game.

Speaking of kits, anyone think a thread exists that can list the best places for Malifaux-appropriate terrain kits? Including trains...

there are lots of places that have nice terrain

and even a few this month that have Victorian/ Old London pieces on sale; Armor Cast and a few others...

the Trains are gonna be a Pain in the A$$!

The closest Hobby train scale is "O" (IIRC)

at this point because there fell into a "Not as popular" catagory(unlike HO and 'Lionelle' gauge) they are treated as collecters items and VERY hard to find "Era type" engins and quality pieces at "reasonable" prices

jmp_mydog does some very nice stuff. His Resser's Lab is pretty much pure awesome the last I saw it, and it wasn't fully done.

And it all packs up pretty good, you'd never think he'd pull 3 full boards out of that little car he drives.

At the LGS, we keep a bunch of 3x3 mdf boards that have been painted with basic landscapes and there is bunches of WH/40k terrain available. And I've been working on some bayou shacks for added variety. If there is something you would want on a table, odds are you are going to find something that satisfies you.