Crew Calculator site

deadboy

Well, their fall release is supposed to have a system that will have:

Card output: For games that use cards (like Malifaux), Army Builder V3.3 will now support printable card output so you can print the cards for models yourself.

No more specific information such as how it will work or what the pending release schedule is but they mention Malifaux by name.

Well, their fall release is supposed to have a system that will have:

No more specific information such as how it will work or what the pending release schedule is but they mention Malifaux by name.

Um, wouldn't that be illegal? I'm sure Wyrd will have a problem with this.

If the crew builder that's up now doesn't get updated, I'll work on getting my own up on Tabletop Geeks soon. :)

Well, it's no more illegal than the GW stuff or the PP stuff or the whatever. I'm sure it will come down to them making a product that's better able to accomodate the needs of a system that uses cards and then someone else will crank out the data files. Thereby keeping them legally in the clear but making their product appeal to a wider audience.

Um, wouldn't that be illegal? I'm sure Wyrd will have a problem with this.

If the crew builder that's up now doesn't get updated, I'll work on getting my own up on Tabletop Geeks soon. :)

I am pretty sure Lone Wolf and Wyrd had some talks on this subject. I remember when it was first announced there was some discussion about Wyrd approving this, but not 100% sure.

While I doubt Wyrd would have a problem with it, I also doubt that they'd be able to do much about it, so long as Army Builder provided the appropriate disclaimer - "Malifaux is a TM of Wyrd Games".

It's the same thing as random company making an IPod-compatible charging station or a Windows-compatible software suite. As long as they don't claim to own the trademark.

While I doubt Wyrd would have a problem with it, I also doubt that they'd be able to do much about it, so long as Army Builder provided the appropriate disclaimer - "Malifaux is a TM of Wyrd Games".

It's the same thing as random company making an IPod-compatible charging station or a Windows-compatible software suite. As long as they don't claim to own the trademark.

Well, it's a problem when they are re-printing stuff from the rulebooks. I know there's a whole weird walking the line thing going on with Army Builder in terms of copyrights and all. It seems if they make it so you can print out your own stat cards that would be a problem, unless I guess as others have said they just provide the software and others have to make the data files in which case they would be in the clear.

Personally I'm not a fan of Army Builder. I find it more annoying to use than anything.

Anyway, I'm still willing to make a new online builder if the current one doesn't get updated. I'll have to look to Wyrd for what I'm allowed to put in the builder though as far as stats and stuff.

It really depends on how much they're reproducing.

The problem is that, in a very real sense, fair use kicks in. For instance, if I'm blogging about my painting, and say I'm painting Zoraida from Malefaux, that's a fair use of the copyright. If I write an article discussing the relative merits of units, and mention their costs, that's fair use.

In general, Games Workshop (by being psychotic jerks) has managed to define what's publishable on the internet, and in general, model names and costs gets you in no trouble at all. More information can be dicey, if presented in stat block form. Overall, it's really undefined where fair use starts and stops (intentionally, fair use law is like that), but name - cost is almost certainly in bounds.

In a larger sense, as long as they don't do things like reproduce the rulebook wholesale, it would be ridiculous to shut them down. Not like anyone who doesn't know the rules could use the name of the model, whether it was legal to run in a list, and the cost to play the game.

Army Builder for 40k will even print out you roster with individual unit abilities (with a page reference for more details). So I think they would be safe as long as they didn't completely reproduce the entire unit information from the book. Of course in the United States you can pretty much sue anybody for anything.

Army Builder for 40k will even print out you roster with individual unit abilities (with a page reference for more details). So I think they would be safe as long as they didn't completely reproduce the entire unit information from the book. Of course in the United States you can pretty much sue anybody for anything.

Actually, in the United States you can sue anyone outside of the federal government for anything, and you can sue the federal government for anything outside of a limited set of immunities they have (mostly military related).

Your chances of winning may be zero, but you can file the suit.

• 1 month later...
If someone knows who the relevant contacts at Wyrd are, I'd be happy to discuss options for doing some Malifaux mobile crew builder apps. I expect I could reuse a fair amount of the iBodger code base.

That would be very, very awesome. :D

I'm not entirely sure of the best person to contact, but a good start would be PMing Nathan Caroland or EricJ.

• 1 month later...

I'm not quite sure that ressing this thread is "ok", but here goes :)

Has there been any updates on this front, especially from Whicken? I'm a Computer Science masters student, so it's not like I'm lacking in the theoretic base, so I would love to try and tackle the challenge of an android (and/or iphone) crew builder application.

But if someone is already working on it, I'd like to know, so that we might coordinate :)