Sezar's painting trip around Malifaux

Sezar

Back again! Thanks for the kind words, I agree on that 2-dimensions on Bette, it's a bit weird, and I didnt notice it until I had it in my hands. Anyway I love that model, and while I somewhat don't like how those lips finally ended, I'm going to keep them as they are till I finish 100% my Redchappel and start retouching details.

The coffin was made by me and the corpse is really 3 different pieces that I found on my bitsbox, a foot, a hand, and an upper torso with head from dunno where. The smoke is done with a hot glue gun, and I'm still deciding if I'll fix Bette to the coffin permanently with some more smoke tendrils made from GS, of if I keep her as it is now, as it's easier for transporting it with base and model separated.

This week I've been working on Seamus. First of all I want to tell you how great working on it has been for me. It's been really a pleasure to try new techniques on tricks on it, and I'm really satisfied with it. Seamus itself is 99% done, and it's just some painting and detailing on the base left.

It's still a WIP so, but I wanted to show you how it's going, so I can hear some critisc and suggestions. As always the pictures are not the best, as I guess both the jacket and hat looks greyish while it's some very light blue.

SeamusWIP4.jpg

SeamusWIP.jpg

SeamusWIP3.jpg

SeamusWIP2.jpg

Anyway I'm really happy I decided to start with the Belles and keep Seamus in cue until I relearned again some tricks so I could be more confident with brushes and all.

Hope you like it and please remember that criticism and suggestions are always welcomed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's past some days since I finally finished painting 2 Hollow Waives into additional Belles for my crew, but I had no chance to take a few pictures of them until this morning:

WaifBelle1.jpg

WaifBelle2.jpg

Here they are with the rest of Belles, I sincerely think they merge well with the true Belles, even without fans or parasols:

Belles-1.jpg

Now with Madamme Sybelle upfront:

Bellesontheball.jpg

Lastly with Seamus:

SeamusWaives.jpg

Well, with these I can finally say my Redchappel is complete, at least until Molly comes out, or till I decide whether or not to include the Copycat Killer on it.

Of course I took some pictures of the whole crew!!

Familyshot.jpg

In the end, I'm pretty satisfied with how it ended. Of course there're tons of details to fix, but I'll keep away from them as I hace a tendency of ruining my own work when I try to improve it :suspiciou

Now it's time to start on the Viktorias, a crew with some more fantastic models that I hope I can paint at least with the same quality as these.

If anyone is interested on the whole crew album, you can see it HERE.

Thanks in advance for your attention, suggestions and critics!!

I would definitely suggest the copycat killer for your crew. If you go against toug, low defense baddies (peacekeepers, mature Nephilim, Teddy, bad juju, etc), that extra man cannon shot can add invaluable hitting power to a crew that lacks it a bit.

Anyway....

Fantastic looking models, I must say. Love the colors you used.

Thanks for you kind words, that really helps in order to start painting my Vikkies!

I would definitely suggest the copycat killer for your crew. If you go against toug, low defense baddies (peacekeepers, mature Nephilim, Teddy, bad juju, etc), that extra man cannon shot can add invaluable hitting power to a crew that lacks it a bit.

Definately do a copy cat killer!

Oh my goodness, now that I was so happy to finish my crew, and the Copycat is growing on me!!!!! My Viks are waiting... I... must.... resist!!!!

:goodbad:

This is some excellent stuff. I saw it on your Tabletop Geeks site ( http://sezar.tabletopgeeks.com/red-chappel-gang/ ). You should put the rest of the pics up there as well. I especially love the Bete Noir!

Man, I really tried, but once I created it, I don't know how to add more stuff into it!! :hmmmm:

Edited by Sezar

Thanks for you kind words, that really helps in order to start painting my Vikkies!

Man, I really tried, but once I created it, I don't know how to add more stuff into it!! :hmmmm:

Well, that's easy. Go to your page: http://sezar.tabletopgeeks.com/

Click the login button in the upper right corner and login or if you are already logged in click the "Control Panel" link in the upper right corner. Once there, click on "Gallery" on the left side and then "Add Gallery/Images".

From here you can create new galleries or upload new images to existing galleries. It should be pretty self explanatory just using the 3 tabs at the top. If you have any problems with it, let me know. :)

I really like you color scheme and the paint job =)

I'm going to start panting my Seamus crew and i have a question, have you pinned the upper pieces of the opened umbrellas or are they simply glued?

Thanks!

You don't need to pin those pieces, as they work as a pin themselves! So, mine are only glued. That been said, every other piece is pinned in all my models, and that's specially tricky on those thin and delicate arms all the Belles' got! The worst of all is the hand holding the parasol on the red one, imo.

Good luck on your crew, and don't forget taking pictures and showing us them!!! :D

Thanks!

You don't need to pin those pieces, as they work as a pin themselves! So, mine are only glued. That been said, every other piece is pinned in all my models, and that's specially tricky on those thin and delicate arms all the Belles' got! The worst of all is the hand holding the parasol on the red one, imo.

Good luck on your crew, and don't forget taking pictures and showing us them!!! :D

Thanks for the answer. smile.gif

About posting my work, i am sorry but i'm ashamed of my painting skill :squint:

Thanks for the answer. smile.gif

About posting my work, i am sorry but i'm ashamed of my painting skill :squint:

Never be ashamed of your painting skill. We all start out pretty bad, but you should be proud of your work regardless. With time it'll get better.

Besides, posting pics will help you get better as people can offer advice and suggestions. I think you'll find most people are more than helpful. :)

I was just wondering if you could take a second to explain how you got your colors so viberant? Did you use washes over white?

Yeah, on these models i've undercoated them on white (GW Skull White, I feel GW's works better than Vallejo's).

Then I use exclusively Vallejo's Game Color and Model Color paints and washes in conjunction with Vallejo's Matt Medium. I always thin my paints, even the washes, usually just with water, but with Seamus and the 2 Hollow Waives I've started to use Vallejo's Thinner, and god I'm in love with it as it keeps the original adhesion and consistency of the pigments.

For barnishing I use Vallejo's Matt Acrylic Varnish, several thin coats of it, between 3 and 5.

Hope that helped, and I'll be glad to help if you ever had another question. Just remember, always thin your paints!!!

Thank you for the reply.Just one more question. What color combos did you use for the red hair?

I guess you're talking about the green Belle. Well, that was painted about 2 months ago, but if I remember correctly I used Vallejo's Game Color Hot Orange (72009) as base, then highlighted some with Vallejo's FLuorescent Yellow (72103). After that applied some coats of diluted Red Ink (72086), probably 4 or 5, and 1-2 very thinned Skin Ink (72093). Finally highlighted with Hot Orange and Fiery Orange (72008) in that order.

Don't know if that was exactly the recipe, but should be close. Just remember that some moderate use of Matt Medium was in the mix as well! (but no Thinner as I had not begun using it till Seamus, so only diluted paints&inks with water)

Hope that helps!