My first Nicodem List...

Brence

So finally getting the book in (together with Rising Power) I got what I believe is a pretty thematic list planned for the Starting Nico Crew.

25 Points Scrap list. 4 Soul Tokens

Nicodem

Mortimer

3x Canine Remains

2x Punk Zombies

1x Grave Spirit

General idea:

Keeping the Punk Zombies close to Nico where they can be guided by Bolster Undead, giving them good chance to Strike and a high end Defence. Their Self Mutilate Ranged attack will play nicely along with Mortimer and his Canine Remains *see Mortimer notes*.

Mortimer is going to be the "packmaster" for the Dogs, his Fresh Meat spell combined with Bloodhound should get them into the fray rather quickly and supply enough CC to "Make New Friends" or have Nico Reanimate some Punk Zombies.

His Companion trait coupled with Man's Best Friend would have them activate together with Morty.

The Canine Remains are basicly a guided missile system hopefully getting some damage in all the while acting as a speedbump.

The Grave Spirit is linked to Nico for a Def bonus with some luck being able to cast The Fog for some added defence against ranged.

Nico himself can Reanimate the Punk Zombies when they might go down, get 3 Mindless Zombies to use as Zombie Fodder and heal any damage dealt by Self Mutilate on the Punk Zombies.

comments welcome offcourse!

Edited by Brence
Missed a Canine Remains and the points/soultoken total.

Not sure if you own them, but I find the vultures to be better than the grave spirit for Nicodem 9 times out of 10. The additional survivability from the grave spirit is nice, but the survivability of being able to stay back because of the vultures is better.

Solid list though. Do you own Flesh construct to summon?

Allright, well the Vulture is easy to add in there with the spare points, dont have any Flesh Constructs to summon though...

Might pick one up for good meassure, especially when Mortimer gets his Fresh Meat spell off, adding even more distance threat range.

Do have a spare Punk Zombie and Canine to summon especially since the Canine's Companion loop (if it actually loops, giving one companion with Mortimer gives the next one companion which in turn gives one close enough companion also) is a nice way to start flinging some dogs at people :D.

25 Points Scrap list. 4 Soul Tokens

Nicodem

Mortimer

3x Canine Remains

2x Punk Zombies

1x Grave Spirit

This is a good start but i would make some changes,

This is what I would run at 25 points

Nico

Grave spirit 1

Mortimer 7

Canine Remains 2

Canine Remains 2

Canine Remains 2

Canine Remains 2

Crooked man 4

Crooked man 4

I find in small lists the Grave sprit works better then vultures. Where the vultures can grab stuff for you and do some limited spell work the grave sprit adds armor and has the chance of casting decay or fog to good effect.

Why crooked men do you ask, I’ll tell you why,

First there DF goes to 8 if they are bolstered and are defending from a ranged attack.

Second they have a good range spell that has up to 3 AoE effects.

Third swapping out the punk zombies you get an extra dog and that = an extra corpse counter.

forth, they get all that added on to the fact that they have a trigger and an okay spell that can paralyze, this works really well with nico who has a paralyzing spell, if you are lucky you can take out your opponents big models with paralyze for turns at a time this way.

I would summen punk zombies asap after the game starts, so that you have 2 of them when it comes time for close combat, you should have enough Corpse counters by then as well.

A flesh construct is good since rend flesh gives it a good amount of damage, but punk zombies is what i would start off with getting.

I hope this helps,

Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

Crooked men would be an option, altough the Punk Zombies are allready in the Box I bought so my first idea would be to expand with 2 sets of Canine Remains, a Grave Spirit/Vulture and a Flesh Construct.

Crooked men most probably will be used somewhere down the line however at this point I dont want to be focussing on Reanimate to much. Much rather having it handy replace casualties and with some luck bring an extra to the field.

3 Canine Remains should enable me to get the extra Punk Zombie in the game together with the Flesh Construct.

I think that the list as you have it, is pretty solid. I also prefer the Grave Spirit to the Vulture in smaller games. If you are playing a Bolster list, Nico needs to activate first, and any extra defense that you can add to him goes a long way.

Don't ignore the advice on Crooked Men or Flesh Constructs. Playing with Sebastian, you should be able to generate a few corpse tokens. Combined with your and your opponent's deaths, the battlefield should get pretty littered with tokens mid to late game. The Flesh Construct is a great investment for Reanimator. I love the Crooked Men, but for 1 ss more, you can take a Punk Zombie. Punk Zombies are so over the top awesome when combined with Bolster that it seems almost unfair to take them in a Nicodem list. They do, however, make great subjects for Sebastian's summoning.

Unless your terrain and/or Strategy calls for mobility, Nico's list works best as a somewhat slow, bolstered advance, with Nico raising Punk Zombies and the occasional Flesh Construct while Sebastian exhumes and supplies Canine Remains, Necropunks and/or Crooked Men.

Personally, I always always always summon the punks. It's just so much easier to get them into the fray when you can summon them from a corpse, especially one of your own doggies killed in melee.

I would exchange the 2 punks for an additional dog and a hanged, but that's just my preference. The hanged has better ranged attacks, can pull models into melee with the doggies, and paired with a grave spirit is nigh unkillable. The grave spirit makes him armor 2, and spirit. For those of us doing the math, a hit of 5 damage would do... 1. 6 damage? 1. Tha'ts nasty. (here I'm assuming you divide for spirit before subtracting for armor. I'm not positive, but I think that's how it works.) On top of that, either Nicodem or the friendly grave spirit can heal him with decay.

Yeh well only problem I got with Hanged and the likes is that I wanted to go for a real zombie theme with my Nicodem list, the Flesh Construct fits in being well fleshy and kinda in line with Nicodem's prostetic leg and such.

So looking into an alternate list it would look like this:

Nicodem

Mortimer 7

Canine Remains 3x 6

Crooked Men 3x 12

The Grave Spirit is gone to make room for that extra Crooked Man, its abilities more then making up for the loss of armour on Nicodem.

Canine Remains are there to die and spawn the Punk Zombies, a Flesh Construct would be nice to pick up while at it to get some added punchline.

Edited by Brence

Yeh well only problem I got with Hanged and the likes is that I wanted to go for a real zombie theme with my Nicodem list, the Flesh Construct fits in being well fleshy and kinda in line with Nicodem's prostetic leg and such.

So looking into an alternate list it would look like this:

Nicodem

Mortimer 7

Canine Remains 3x 6

Crooked Men 3x 12

The Grave Spirit is gone to make room for that extra Crooked Man, its abilities more then making up for the loss of armour on Nicodem.

Canine Remains are there to die and spawn the Punk Zombies, a Flesh Construct would be nice to pick up while at it to get some added punchline.

I like it~ the list is great!

You have alot of paralizing models in the list, witch is awesome and adds an option to what your list can do, In my last turnament a crooked man and Nico paralized everything in a levy list save two hollow waifs for 2 full turns in a row alowing me to finish all my VP objectives and win the game, well by a point but still I won. Sometimes its just easyer paralizing what you cant kill that turn, and focus on one model at a time.

Ok, I suppose I think of the hanged as within Nicodem's theme, but it's certainly your call.:) I like your latest list, as well as your hamster. is that yours, or an interweb photo?

Well the hanged dont really fit in my list mainly because they cost soo much and give you no Corpse counters when they die being spirits.

As I see it, you cant always count on your opponet to give you corpse counters so you need to bring as meny as you can. For my money in larger lists i would add Bete before the hanged but thats just my list for about the same points, and she works better in the list for me.

But to each there own. I am wondering shekbo, what list you would bring with nico and the hanged and how they work together since just from looking at them i dont see vary much cross over ablitiys or themes.

Edited by TimeLapse

Ok, I suppose I think of the hanged as within Nicodem's theme, but it's certainly your call.:) I like your latest list, as well as your hamster. is that yours, or an interweb photo?

Alas the Hamster was webbified...Basque Seperatist Mice rule :D.

As for the second list, I think I'll stick with that one, altough I really like the idea of having a kind of a Mob thing going on..With Punk Zombies as Goons and a Flesh Construct as the big brawler for intimidation factor. Mortimer being kinda like the henchmen (no not those!).

As for the Hanged in a Nico list let me give it a try...

Nicodem

Mortimer 7

Crooked Men x2 8

The Hanged 8

Grave Spirit 1

So idea (and Im just doing spitballing here), would be to keep Nico surrounded by a few Mindless Zombies to keep away ranged attacks made against him, the Grave Spirit links to the Hanged for that uber tank combo while the Crooked Men rig the place with Shafted markers. The Hanged's WP duels keep enemy's that rely on melee at certain range where your crew is rather untouchable due to Bolster Undead, Grave Spirits extra armour and so forth, what doesnt feel like fleeing will most probably end up paralyzed. Reanimator is mostly used to keep the Crooked Men numerous enough to pick of enemy's at range and keep disengagement routes packed. Mindless Zombies would probably be your friend due to their swarming aspect.

Well not my kind of list but I think that would be a way to play with the Hanged and keep some synergy between them.

I dont know the hanged are just too pricey in my book and they always tend to be a bit disjointed in nicos lists. I think that the 2nd list is your best list.

Also Shafted markers are the crooked mens lest powerful ablity, It stands out as being protenatly really good but in the end cave in and burt are its two most used skills, if you spend your time trying to get Shafted markers to work you will not get your points worth out of them.

when to use Shafted markers,

On a model that is paralized but has yet to activate for this turn,

On a charge lane or a location that will cause your opponet to move around them to aviod them and thus slowing them down.

On the crooked man himself if he fears a charging melee model is about to pounce on him.

On nicadem after he as activated as a sort of anti-melee force feild.

But dont count on casting them on models that will easly move to avoid them unless you know that they planed on not moveing thus using up there ap.

But dont count on Shafted markers to wound or kill anything for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Another little trick if you don't use Vultures is (0) Arise.

The range on it is 10" so you can effectively use it to "scoop" up Counters that are out of Reanimator's range. Since Mindless Zombies count as Corpse Counters, you can cast Reanimator on them.

Although this is situational because both of Nico's (0) actions are pretty awesome.

Alas the Hamster was webbified...Basque Seperatist Mice rule :D.

As for the second list, I think I'll stick with that one, altough I really like the idea of having a kind of a Mob thing going on..With Punk Zombies as Goons and a Flesh Construct as the big brawler for intimidation factor. Mortimer being kinda like the henchmen (no not those!).

As for the Hanged in a Nico list let me give it a try...

Nicodem

Mortimer 7

Crooked Men x2 8

The Hanged 8

Grave Spirit 1

So idea (and Im just doing spitballing here), would be to keep Nico surrounded by a few Mindless Zombies to keep away ranged attacks made against him, the Grave Spirit links to the Hanged for that uber tank combo while the Crooked Men rig the place with Shafted markers. The Hanged's WP duels keep enemy's that rely on melee at certain range where your crew is rather untouchable due to Bolster Undead, Grave Spirits extra armour and so forth, what doesnt feel like fleeing will most probably end up paralyzed. Reanimator is mostly used to keep the Crooked Men numerous enough to pick of enemy's at range and keep disengagement routes packed. Mindless Zombies would probably be your friend due to their swarming aspect.

Well not my kind of list but I think that would be a way to play with the Hanged and keep some synergy between them.

This list seems very situational, since you are really relying on the your opponent to leave corpse counters for you. I guess Morty could flip one, maybe two with the right hand but then you are spending a good amount of time just building up force. I think for the most part spirits are Nico's antifriend.