Painting Stockings

WoeIsMe

I just got my Collette crew and am about to sit down and start painting them. Im a little confused how the painters at wyrd got the stocking over flesh effect. I tried it on a test model and all i got was a flesh and black splotchy mess. Any advice on technique or link to a tutorial would be appreciated and helpful as i want these models to look their absolute best.

--WoeIsMe

Painting sheer fabric requires very thin paint and patience. Paint your model's skin as you normally would. Then take your sheer fabric color and thin it to the point where when you brush it over a paper towel that it shows pigment slightly. Begin to layer on the color over the skin color. After several coats you will begin to notice the sheer color showing. Repeat until desired depth of color is achieved.

• 1 year later...
There's a brief photo guide to that kind of thing in the Malifaux fanzine thats up somewhere. Although it is sort of blowing my own trumpet, since I wrote it. But in case it's any help:

**SNIP**

Always so modest. A person would do well to not only read the Fanzine, but also follow Mako's painting.

Note at least for a glaze you probably want to use about 1:10 to 1:8 future in water, not put straight floor wax in your paint :) It's also now marketed as "Pledge with Future" in a lot of places.

Liquitex Glaze Medium is good if you have an art supply store, if you have a hobby shop that stocks the full vallejo line, they sell glaze medium in a little hobby sized dropper.