Questions only a noob would ask...

Brence

So here I am again, this time in general forum for some game info (cant wait till my order gets shipped). So Im going to fire away some random questions concerning the game, fluff, etc etc.

-First Question is something I was thinking of during the reading of the Chronicles Vol. III. Who (or what) are the Gremlins? I understand they are the Goblins of Malifaux but, is there any background given on them? Are they mutated humans? Are they native to Malifaux? Did they come from earth and have been with humanity for history memorable?

-Second question concerning Factions and Masters. There are 5 factions with a multitude of Masters. I wonder though is there a theme to every faction (except for offcourse Nightmarish creatures vs Steampunk vs Cowboys etc.) I mean, are their signature things specific to a faction or is playstyle and such only related to the Master you are using?

-Third Question about books. So what do new books hold? New Rules? New Scenario's? New Mini's?

-Fourth and final question. Can someone make the waiting stop? (probably looking at 3+ weeks before stuff comes in).

First: Fluff-wise? They're just another species in Malifaux. They're not Nephilim, they're not Human... As far as I know, no official word on what they are.

Second: A little bit, but within each faction there's variation.

Guild- Great at combat, mostly buffs and damage.

Ressurectionists- Great at summoning, do a bit of Debuff work on the side.

Arcanists- Great at spellwork, do summoning ont eh side. Good battlefield control.

Neverborn- Great at the Debuff/control stuff. Hand control, model control, board manipulation.

Outcasts- Sorta a hodgepodge, both with the individual masters and as a whole. Mix of all of the above.

Third: The new book has a lot of new models, some updated rules, and a expanded encounter section, which adds new Strategies, Schemes, and Scenarios, as well as new terrain. So all of the above!

Fourth: Give me a million dollars and I'll se what I can do. Hell, since i like you, just make it 500,000. Just make the check out to Chris's Alternative Science Headquarters. You should probably just use the acronym.

Receipt'll be sent after you pay. Trust me!

Totems are an extension of the Master/Henchman's will, a small manifestation of their desire and will, embedded into a physical form.

Sometimes it's pure power made manifest, such as Lady J's Scales of Justice, and sometimes it's more a actual item, such as Perdita's Enslaved Nephilim. It can be a regular, everyday thing imbued with magic, such as Ramos's Brass Arachnid (It's the first Construct he created, remade with his power) or the new Walking Toolbox (Literally just a magical toolkit).

Aah cool, so how about gamewise? What does it do :P? In general that is... Oh and how would you guys rate the mini's? Im a gamer but not much of a modeller, so gap filling minimally etc. More trouble then the british decadent Gaming Wetwork? Or my dear friends over at Privateer?

rating of the game i put way above the fun level. and as for models alot of them look amazing. but for modeling it takes a severe left turn as some models are just an outright pain. peace keeper, jack daw victorias the list goes on on how hard it is either puting together pining or staying on the base the list goes on. but as a whole the game is amazing.

Second question concerning Factions and Masters. There are 5 factions with a multitude of Masters. I wonder though is there a theme to every faction (except for offcourse Nightmarish creatures vs Steampunk vs Cowboys etc.) I mean, are their signature things specific to a faction or is playstyle and such only related to the Master you are using?

This is what I've noticed

The Guild: Very oppressive story-wise(IMHO) and they show that in their units. Lady Justice trumps the Resurrectionists, Sonnia bushwhacks the Arcanists, and so on. Also Perdita seems like a traditional glass cannon type character. She has range and crazy damage but you don't really stand a chance in one-on-one.

Arcanists: These folks seem like the Mafia or the mob to me. I don't know much about them but it seems you have a lot of powerful casting coming from these guys.

Resurrectionists: Necromancers, plain and simple. Dealing with the dead is what they do. It seems like they really don't care much for the law.

Neverborn: From what I gather, they are the original inhabitants and they seem pissed that we're here. Demons, nightmares, and the lot.

Outcasts: They do seem very steam-punk and wild west to me. But I also think they are mercenaries that have been 'outcast' from normal society...hence their name.

I am very new to all this, but I've always wondered that too.

Also Perdita seems like a traditional glass cannon type character. She has range and crazy damage but you don't really stand a chance in one-on-one.

Actually Perdita is far from being glass. She had one of the highest defenses in the game so she is also very hard to hit. And Gunfighter makes her just as deadly in Melee as she is Ranged so getting in close doesn't do you much good. I've seen Mature Nephs, Swarms of Spiders, Posses of Silurids and almost anything else charge her and not kill her and then she activates and just takes them all down.

Man I love that woman. If she wasn't a piece of metal representing a Fictional character in a made up magical world, I would marry her. :)

She is honestly probably one of the strongest book 1 masters, which is one of the reason I think book 2 has some many new models that seem to counteract range advantages and immunities.

Outcasts: They do seem very steam-punk and wild west to me. But I also think they are mercenaries that have been 'outcast' from normal society...hence their name.

Its worth noting that although Outcasts are the pseudo-Mercenary faction they are very different then most merc factions in games. Sure a lot of them can be hired by other factions but the four Outcast masters are very playable on there own. They tend to be Masters that play by a different set of game rules

Somer'Teeth is tricky to master but once you get him and Gremlins down you can really do some damage

Leveticus breaks so many rules of the game he is a riot to watch and play. You are not playing him right unless he dies every turn

The Viktorias are the arguable one of the best Master(s) in the game. I think I rank them up there with Perdita and Lilith as the most straight forward, go for the throat style models. Honestly they are more of a glass cannon though.

And then Hamelin the Plague. Since he is book 2 we still need to see more games to really see how he plays but he is another strange play style type guys.

Not to derail the thread (I think most things have been answered anyway, no?)..

Also Perdita seems like a traditional glass cannon type character. She has range and crazy damage but you don't really stand a chance in one-on-one.

I'll have to agree with nilus on this one.. Unless you by glass mean diamond, I'd say, that you've got it wrong.

A master with Df 8, Immune to Influence and Evasive 2 leaves only pulses as a slight worry - argueably the best defense in the game. On top she's really speedy (3 general AP and high Wk) and all her abilities have offensive uses.

Perfect for one-on-one and easily one of the best models at it, if I may say so..

Actually Perdita is far from being glass. She had one of the highest defenses in the game so she is also very hard to hit. And Gunfighter makes her just as deadly in Melee as she is Ranged so getting in close doesn't do you much good. I've seen Mature Nephs, Swarms of Spiders, Posses of Silurids and almost anything else charge her and not kill her and then she activates and just takes them all down.

Man I love that woman. If she wasn't a piece of metal representing a Fictional character in a made up magical world, I would marry her. :)

She is honestly probably one of the strongest book 1 masters, which is one of the reason I think book 2 has some many new models that seem to counteract range advantages and immunities.

I've seen a lot of matches between Lilith (dubbed Big Momma) versus Perdita and her crew and it is usually a bloodbath.

Also yesterday a couple of friends of mine had a free for all three way, Rasp, Lady J, and Perdita. Lady J just closed the distance and it was all over.

Her defense is nice but anything with Flurry, Onslaught, Fate, and things like that seem to negate that. It's just too much hurt coming her way.

If all goes according to plan, Perdita should kill lady justice before they get into melee with her gun and triggers, and any charges should be punished by quickdraw. Even in close range, Perdita has execution, and Gunslinger in melee. Also, LJ's flurry only matches perdita's Fast.

Sure, she's in danger. But she is definitely not a glass cannon.

If all goes according to plan, Perdita should kill lady justice before they get into melee with her gun and triggers, and any charges should be punished by quickdraw. Even in close range, Perdita has execution, and Gunslinger in melee. Also, LJ's flurry only matches perdita's Fast.

Sure, she's in danger. But she is definitely not a glass cannon.

Basically speaking, if Perdita can kill enemy master before he/she reaches melee range, you have WAAAAAY too little terrain.

For a fair game Perdita has to work for her shooting solutions just as much as melee player has to work to reach her.

Basically speaking, if Perdita can kill enemy master before he/she reaches melee range, you have WAAAAAY too little terrain.

For a fair game Perdita has to work for her shooting solutions just as much as melee player has to work to reach her.

In most of our games, each player picks two pieces of terrain (hills, ruins, buildings, whatever fits for the field we drew) and they take turns placing it and figuring out it's height and other attributes like that.

Also, I have never played anyone with a pulse...sorta. I have no idea how they work, if bum rushing is good or not. These are just things I have seen. Although this seems to happen to all the Perdita players we have here, it's not one guy every time.